The Rumor Mill

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This thread can be a compilation of all the various rumors we hear about malt whisky and other foreign whisky.  Or we can still do individual threads.  Doesn't matter to me.  I just have some gossip to share, and some of it might matter to you guys.

1.) David Driscoll over at the K&L wines blog is saying that the new U.S. MSRP for Bunnahabhain 25 is $900.

2.) A highly placed source has informed me that GlenDronach and BenRiach are about to undergo major brand realignments and price point "adjustments", particularly the older expressions.  I really only buy GlenDronach 12 and BenRiach 10 Curiositas, but I know a lot of you guys love them.  I asked the source if they were planning on going full Mortlach, and the source implied--but did not openly state--that this would be the case.

I thought about posting this on MM&F, but I mostly hate that group, and I like all you guys.  Figured anyone who was on the fence about any of the three brands might find this to be useful information.

Yeah, I read that too about Bunnahabhain. Just seems insane. I can't imagine who is going to pay that as it is not like they are a big name whisky. Maybe they are and I just don't know it!

But I suppose somebody will pay it. They always do...

Cool thread idea, and thanks for the initial tips! Somewhat regrettably, I've not had the time nor budget to delve into Benriach as I had wanted. That being said, I like Glendronach and have been eyeing a number of bottles from them based on word that 15 and 18 will be (or already have been?) discontinued. I'm not surprised that they'd take it even further into Macallan or Mortlach territory of change, so it's really about time I get on the ball and buy the stuff I've been holding off on.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:27 PM, garbanzobean said:

A highly placed source has informed me that GlenDronach and BenRiach are about to undergo major brand realignments and price point "adjustments", particularly the older expressions.  I really only buy GlenDronach 12 and BenRiach 10 Curiositas, but I know a lot of you guys love them.  I asked the source if they were planning on going full Mortlach, and the source implied--but did not openly state--that this would be the case.

Just occurred to me that this is now Brown-Forman, who recently bought Glendronach and Benriach (as well as Glengassaugh) that we would have to thank for this if it does indeed happen. Although attempting to follow Diageo's lead with Mortlach seems ill-advised at best! Mortlach is now a brand that is greatly overpriced, at least in my opinion, while being the poorer in quality for it. I am not even inclined to look for Mortlach from Independent bottlers as a result even though they have nothing to do with the changes Diageo made to tank this brand.

On 8/28/2016 at 3:27 PM, garbanzobean said:

2.) A highly placed source has informed me that GlenDronach and BenRiach are about to undergo major brand realignments and price point "adjustments", particularly the older expressions.  I really only buy GlenDronach 12 and BenRiach 10 Curiositas, but I know a lot of you guys love them.  I asked the source if they were planning on going full Mortlach, and the source implied--but did not openly state--that this would be the case.

The price of GlenDronach 12yo has recently gone up to $60 in Arizona.  It was $49.99 at the beginning of the year, that's the second increase this year.  Entry level expressions have become expensive for what they are.  I am glad I like FRSB.  ;)

While following SB for some 12 years now, it's interesting to see how the pricing relationship between Scotch and Bourbon has evolved .  Many were driven to bourbon boom early on, by escalating Scotch prices.  And, these people discovered the quality of whiskey that could be found in significantly cheaper bourbon.  Over the last couple of years, I've seen several folks begin to lament the escalating cost of bourbons getting to the point where their personal value proposition between the two began to swing back to Scotch.  Darwin's, and others comments I've read in various places, seem to suggest the beginning of a potential swing back to bourbon.  

In that so many whiskey brands of different orientations are owned by a few International spirits conglomerates, it seems to me that they are playing this ping-pong pricing dynamic as far as they can, until they settle at what's "market" for each.  My "out-my-arse" guess is that each conglomerate is trying to perfect some sort of Bourbon and Scotch algorithm and formula for the two.  

Keeping in mind that they are all luxury products and thus subject to complicated models of marginal utility, I think both categories have VFM upsides at different price brackets.  Particularly when availability is taken into account.  We've discussed this a bit before, though.  I love variety and derive as much pleasure from having multiple great aged brown spirits choices available.  My American brown spirits preferences are MUCH kinder to my wallet than scotch is.  Rum and Brandy are in the middle, but they just don't scratch the itch quite like bourbon or malt.

The issue I have in Maryland is finding that "something special" bourbon or rye purchase.   It just ain't happening right now for me, outside of Wild Turkey special releases.  I'm not even seeing too many private selections I want.  This close to DC, however, there's always something special available in malt-land.  There are even some good dusties to be had.  I really don't need anymore special bottles, but I seem to keep buying them anyway . . .

Back on topic: if any of you are at all considering an older BenRiach or GlenDronach purchase, I highly suggest you consider doing so soon unless you are reasonably confident it is going to remain a shelf turd for a bit.  I can't reveal my source but it is one I trust.  Way above retail or distributor level.  I am pretty sure I can live with whatever B-F is going to do, but I will really feel bad to see folks on this forum paying Yamazaki/Macallan prices for older GlenDronach or BenRiach in the next year or so.  I'm less confident that the current lineups are going to get completely new branding, but that is entirely possible as well.

On 8/28/2016 at 7:27 PM, garbanzobean said:

This thread can be a compilation of all the various rumors we hear about malt whisky and other foreign whisky.  Or we can still do individual threads.  Doesn't matter to me.  I just have some gossip to share, and some of it might matter to you guys.

1.) David Driscoll over at the K&L wines blog is saying that the new U.S. MSRP for Bunnahabhain 25 is $900.

I thought about posting this on MM&F, but I mostly hate that group, and I like all you guys.  Figured anyone who was on the fence about any of the three brands might find this to be useful information.

I'm drinking a bottle of Bunnahabhain 18 which I bought 4 years ago.  It's lovely stuff but I notice that the price has really jumped on this one.  I expect the 25 would likely be insanely expensive.

On 8/30/2016 at 3:36 PM, Auracom said:

Cool thread idea, and thanks for the initial tips! Somewhat regrettably, I've not had the time nor budget to delve into Benriach as I had wanted. That being said, I like Glendronach and have been eyeing a number of bottles from them based on word that 15 and 18 will be (or already have been?) discontinued. I'm not surprised that they'd take it even further into Macallan or Mortlach territory of change, so it's really about time I get on the ball and buy the stuff I've been holding off on.

Glendronach 15 was discontinued last year due to the fact that the distillery had been bottling much older whisky as a 15 year old on account of the fact that the distillery had been shut down for several years before Billy Walker bought it.  The plan was to start releasing a 15 year old again once whisky from the new regime was 15 years old.  Bottles of the 15 year old can still be found here and there and is a good buy as the last bottlings were around 18 years old.

14 hours ago, Rick M. said:

Glendronach 15 was discontinued last year due to the fact that the distillery had been bottling much older whisky as a 15 year old on account of the fact that the distillery had been shut down for several years before Billy Walker bought it.  The plan was to start releasing a 15 year old again once whisky from the new regime was 15 years old.  Bottles of the 15 year old can still be found here and there and is a good buy as the last bottlings were around 18 years old.

This pops up from time to time about Glendronach. The same was true of the 12yo and it was important to follow the bottling date on the 12yo (and any Glendronach for that matter) to see what the true age is likely to be. The 12yo switched back to the new 12yo distillate in 2014. Anything bottled in 2013 and earlier back to 2009 was theoretically a bit older because of the shut down period. Next year the 15 is supposed to be 15 again in 2017 but in the meantime some of the 15yo that was discontinued was now old enough to be bottled as the 18 or even 21yo according to this figure.

It is also true of the 18yo, presuming they release much of it, and will be true of the 21 if it is released. perhaps that is part of the reason for jacking up the price. And then they will have to hope that they have created a niche for themselves as a "luxury" brand like "The" Macallan so that when it drops back to the age stated they can still get the same money for the younger whisky.

Glendronach Chart.png 

• 2 weeks later...

Eric - where did you see the price? Maybe I missed it on their committee site announcement?

If it had been in the $300's (a pipedream) I would seriously consider it. Maybe I'll split a bottle with my friend in the city.

1 hour ago, jvd99 said:

5 bills for a 21 yr old is steep

Yes, but its not 21 ... its TWENTYONE

so, completely fair and just.

;)

Edited by portwood

• 2 weeks later...

I was perusing this week's TTB label approvals just now and saw something interesting.  Looks like That Boutiquey Whisky Company is going to start importing some releases to the United States in 375ml bottles.  Looks like labels cleared for a couple Macallan releases (29 and 30 year), a Mortlach 27 yr, a Glen Burgie release (didn't look at the age), etc.  Price depending, this could be a very good thing.  I would love to see some of their Islay releases make it stateside.

Link to the Mortlach:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=16257001000550

Edited by garbanzobean

19 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

... Price depending, this could be a very good thing.

More choice is always a good thing but I don't think you're going to like the price points. There's a reason they package in 375 ml bottles rather than 750ml ... ;)

43 minutes ago, portwood said:

More choice is always a good thing but I don't think you're going to like the price points. There's a reason they package in 375 ml bottles rather than 750ml ... ;)

I probably won't.  I'm aware of what they sell for on MoM, but since it's a 375ml instead of 500ml, I am hoping they don't try to sell it for the same price.  As I said, I'm more interested in their Islay releases.

If they do try to sell it for the same price, I shall enjoy seeing the bottles for many years to come, because they will not sell for shit in Maryland.  Inflation will eventually catch up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.