100% Ryes

The Salt Pig
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello all,

New to this group and have been drinking Rye for a few years. I have come to really appreciate 100% Rye and seek and search out these bottles. I am familiar with some but looking to find more. Here is a list of what I have on hand, not in any order. Please chime in with some suggestions.

Thanks

Tom

Whistle Pig

High West Double Rye

Collinswood 21 yr 100% Rye

WoodyCreek (out of Colorado)

Kooper Family Rye

Hudson

Other than the Alberta Distiller's ryes (WP, Lock Stock and Barrel, Masterson's, Early Jefferson rye), there are only a few 100% rye whiskies out there.

Potrero is a youngish 3yo 100% malted rye from Anchor that gets fairly wide distribution. There are a fair number of young, grain forward tasting "craft" ryes out there these days like Koval, Corsair Ryemeggedon, Goldrun, Corbin Cash and ppidan (another 100% malted rye but only about 1 year old). Not sure what you would be able to find in Maine.

One of my favorites of the 100% ryes that I just mentioned in another post here today is Millstone 100 rye from the Netherlands. It is Europe only but it has been rumored for some time to be coming to the US. If it has I have not seen it yet.

What about Canadian Club's 100% rye?  I'm not a big rye fan so I won't pretend to be familiar with it, but I seem to remember reading good things about its value.

41 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

One of my favorites of the 100% ryes that I just mentioned in another post here today is Millstone 100 rye from the Netherlands. It is Europe only but it has been rumored for some time to be coming to the US. If it has I have not seen it yet.

A friend of mine in Pennsylvania was able to get some last year. I guess most distributors aren't interested in picking it up for some reason.

Is Lot 40 100% rye? That's a good one. Very bready, though.

The Whisky Exchange has two different cask strength private selection Millstone ryes that keep tempting me to place an order while the pound is weak. Have you tried either of those?

58 minutes ago, amg said:

The Whisky Exchange has two different cask strength private selection Millstone ryes that keep tempting me to place an order while the pound is weak. Have you tried either of those?

I have indeed!

Millstone barrel proof.jpg

These are both cask 667 from the Whisky Exchange which came in at 117.2 proof. One is now empty and I have the second one waiting for its turn. It is a bit older than the Millstone 100 at about 10yo. I like it but prefer it with a touch of water.  Not quite as sweet as the Millstone 100 with a bit more barrel influence. 

4 hours ago, amg said:

A friend of mine in Pennsylvania was able to get some last year. I guess most distributors aren't interested in picking it up for some reason.

Is Lot 40 100% rye? That's a good one. Very bready, though.

I'm a Lot 40 fan boy...

16 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I have indeed!

Millstone barrel proof.jpg

These are both cask 667 from the Whisky Exchange which came in at 117.2 proof. One is now empty and I have the second one waiting for its turn. It is a bit older than the Millstone 100 at about 10yo. I like it but prefer it with a touch of water.  Not quite as sweet as the Millstone 100 with a bit more barrel influence. 

I figured you would have! I might just have to place that order today.

19 hours ago, dcbt said:

What about Canadian Club's 100% rye?  I'm not a big rye fan so I won't pretend to be familiar with it, but I seem to remember reading good things about its value.

It is crazy cheap at about $17, but unfortunately it is not very good. I'm pretty sure that it is the same distillate as Lot 40, which is very good, but probably a bit older. Canadian Club's 100% is just so damn thin and  a little bubblegum tasting, with very little of the vanilla and oak that round out the Lot 40. 

Edit to say, funny enough, that photo in my avatar is Canadian Club 100% Rye shown next to my mountain bike which is also a product of Canada. 

Edited by IncredulousNosco

3 hours ago, amg said:

I figured you would have! I might just have to place that order today.

Nice selection at the WE, but the shipping...

Lot 40 (as mentioned by a few above) is a great option.

I see you listed 1776. I don't think that is 100% rye though. I think that is the standard MGP 95% rye (their website says " Over 90% Rye in the Mash Bill"--http://jamesepepper.com/).

Similarly, I believe the Double Rye is a blend of the MGP 95% rye and a Barton Rye that I believe is a lower rye proportion (" The younger rye has a mashbill with 95% rye/5% barley malt and the older has a more typical rye mashbill with 53% rye and 37% corn.  " http://www.highwest.com/products/high-west-double-rye.php).

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, but only mention this to point out that you may be enjoying even more than just the 100% ryes.

1 hour ago, The Salt Pig said:

Nice selection at the WE, but the shipping...

You've really got to purchase 5 or 6 bottles to make it worthwhile.

2 hours ago, amg said:

You've really got to purchase 5 or 6 bottles to make it worthwhile.

And even then it is pricey! They stopped shipping for awhile recently and  changed their shipping process to comply with US regulations to try to stop shipments from getting stopped or lost as I understand it. I never had a problem but I suppose some people did. Now it is supposed to meet all requirements but the cost of shipping seemingly doubled! The decline in the pound helped a bit, although I think it has started to creep back up again since the sky hasn't fallen yet, but still it is spendy.

To me it is best for buying fairly pricey bottles since shipping is based on weight and not price and the expensive hootch doesn't usually weigh any more than the cheap stuff!

Edited by tanstaafl2

19 hours ago, MeAndMyWhiskey said:

Lot 40 (as mentioned by a few above) is a great option.

I see you listed 1776. I don't think that is 100% rye though. I think that is the standard MGP 95% rye (their website says " Over 90% Rye in the Mash Bill"--http://jamesepepper.com/).

Similarly, I believe the Double Rye is a blend of the MGP 95% rye and a Barton Rye that I believe is a lower rye proportion (" The younger rye has a mashbill with 95% rye/5% barley malt and the older has a more typical rye mashbill with 53% rye and 37% corn.  " http://www.highwest.com/products/high-west-double-rye.php).

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, but only mention this to point out that you may be enjoying even more than just the 100% ryes.

Know it all

Kidding, I was wondering when someone was going to point this out. And if we wanted to get reeeeeeally picky, not every release of WhistlePig is 100% rye. The WhistlePig Old World is MGP product, so it's 95% rye. 

• 2 months later...

Enjoying a nice pour of this today. Bought a couple of these 3 years ago for a whopping $29.99 each. Very nice rye flavors with a bit of mintiness

P1070048.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.