Which Water of Life did you pass up today? 2016+

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As the last thread with this topic didn't get a lot of responses, leaving the timeline open-ended on this one :)

On a business trip where a year ago I left some Macallan CS behind (bought one bottle, but had some other purchases and not enough room in the luggage!), and disappointed to find those were snagged.  Hit some other stores, and left a CB Hedonism Quindecimus behind ($225 seemed steep to me, and I didn't love it that much).  Also saw some CB Eleuthera, although I may try to go back for that tomorrow (I've never tried it, but got a chance to try The Lost Blend not too long ago which has me curious).  

13 hours ago, GaryT said:

As the last thread with this topic didn't get a lot of responses, leaving the timeline open-ended on this one :)

On a business trip where a year ago I left some Macallan CS behind (bought one bottle, but had some other purchases and not enough room in the luggage!), and disappointed to find those were snagged.  Hit some other stores, and left a CB Hedonism Quindecimus behind ($225 seemed steep to me, and I didn't love it that much).  Also saw some CB Eleuthera, although I may try to go back for that tomorrow (I've never tried it, but got a chance to try The Lost Blend not too long ago which has me curious).  

I liked the Eleuthera and it also has some "historical" significance as a CB bottle not made anymore. I would get another if I saw it. Fun to try it SBS with the Lost Blend as well.

9 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I liked the Eleuthera and it also has some "historical" significance as a CB bottle not made anymore. I would get another if I saw it. Fun to try it SBS with the Lost Blend as well.

After striking out a a half-dozen other stores, I did go back for the Eleuthera - and spotted something else that I think I'll enjoy at that store - a Clynelish Distiller's Edition (2012 edition).  Hadn't researched it, but from reading the bottle (and sweet tube) felt comfortable with the $73+ tax.  The double-maturing in oloroso sounded intriguing, and like something I'd like!  

And to keep this post "on topic", I did also pass up a vintage CB Peat Monster (older labeleing of "Vatted Malt", with a less cool illustration of the beastie).  Almost picked it up just because it was older, but recalling that KBF is right around the corner - wanted to keep the acquisitions in check!

20160901_192551.jpg

Passed on the Diageo 2010 Glen Spey 21 for $185 and Auchroisk 20 for $165.  I've tried the Glen Spey and not been impressed, but the Auchroisk 20 is eventually going to be mine.  Based on the reviews I've read, it appears to be in my wheelhouse.  Someday!  

15 hours ago, GaryT said:

After striking out a a half-dozen other stores, I did go back for the Eleuthera - and spotted something else that I think I'll enjoy at that store - a Clynelish Distiller's Edition (2012 edition).  Hadn't researched it, but from reading the bottle (and sweet tube) felt comfortable with the $73+ tax.  The double-maturing in oloroso sounded intriguing, and like something I'd like!  

And to keep this post "on topic", I did also pass up a vintage CB Peat Monster (older labeleing of "Vatted Malt", with a less cool illustration of the beastie).  Almost picked it up just because it was older, but recalling that KBF is right around the corner - wanted to keep the acquisitions in check!

20160901_192551.jpg

Oooh, that Clynelish does look interesting!

Passed up a ton of new G&M and Signatory bottles including some greybeards.  Unfortunately, the Caol Ila 30+ and Glenlivet 30+ bottlings from Signatory have doubled in price in the past couple years.  I'd have liked to have grabbed an older glenlivet based on recent IB experiences, but I am not paying the asking prices.  The Caol Ila was from one of the early 1980s runs I've stocked up on + 2-3 years of age, and was $550.  I'm good.

Edit: the rest were still reasonable, including a 1988 Blair Athol and lots of 10-25 year old 46% bottles.

Edited by garbanzobean

8 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Preemptively passing on Ardbeg TWENTYONE.

fixed if for you ;-)

Edited by portwood

9 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Preemptively passing on Ardbeg 21.

At $400+, I'm right there with ya Eric. (but I sure would love to try some!)

10 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

At $400+, I'm right there with ya Eric. (but I sure would love to try some!)

A fellow MM&F poster asked me to be on the lookout for one for him.  I said I'd do it for free, but he offered a sample as a finder's fee.  So I might get to try it, but I'm not holding my breath.

• 4 weeks later...

Passed on Miyagikyo 12 @ $120, Black Bull 12, and a few other discontinued products that I'm forgetting.  

5 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Passed on Miyagikyo 12 @ $120, Black Bull 12, and a few other discontinued products that I'm forgetting.  

Pretty crazy pricing. The Miyagikyo NAS isn't that much different at a third less (which sadly was about where the 12 was not so long ago).

Just now, tanstaafl2 said:

Pretty crazy pricing. The Miyagikyo NAS isn't that much different at a third less (which sadly was about where the 12 was not so long ago).

Although I might be thinking about the price for Taketsuru 12...

14 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Although I might be thinking about the price for Taketsuru 12...

I'm not sure.  The cheapest I ever saw Miyagikyo 12 for here was about $110, which was still $20 more than Yoichi 15 at it's cheapest, which is a superior whisky.  At least to my palate.  I do still occasionally see the Taketsuru 17 and 21 at MSRP, and am considering picking up a bottle of each just because I think it's going to be a good 10 years before we see regular age stated Japanese malts again, blended or no.  Then again, I have had both and am not sure either is "worth it" at MSRP, so who knows what I'll do . . . They're both very good, just not $150 and $200 good.

11 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

I'm not sure.  The cheapest I ever saw Miyagikyo 12 for here was about $110, which was still $20 more than Yoichi 15 at it's cheapest, which is a superior whisky.  At least to my palate.  I do still occasionally see the Taketsuru 17 and 21 at MSRP, and am considering picking up a bottle of each just because I think it's going to be a good 10 years before we see regular age stated Japanese malts again, blended or no.  Then again, I have had both and am not sure either is "worth it" at MSRP, so who knows what I'll do . . . They're both very good, just not $150 and $200 good.

I agree. I have both (17 and 21) and they are excellent but they were purchased at MSRP of a few years ago when they first appeared which was below current MSRP before the price increases of recent times. One of the few times I was (a llittle bit) ahead of the curve...

6 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I agree. I have both (17 and 21) and they are excellent but they were purchased at MSRP of a few years ago when they first appeared which was below current MSRP before the price increases of recent times. One of the few times I was (a llittle bit) ahead of the curve...

Oh, I did that too.  And I drank 'em, cuz whisky.  Never bothered to stock up because I liked Yoichi 15 better than both and it was a . . . sigh . . . (now) reasonable . . . $90 for quite awhile here, with no sign of going away.  Of course now I'm down to a single Yoichi 15, and that stuff is obviously long gone from the shelves.  Oh well.  Sounds like I just won't be drinking Japanese whisky for awhile!

Went by a new liquor store today that supposedly had a good beer selection, so I figured I'd take a look at the whiskies.  Crap for bourbon, and I'm not doing Canadian or Irish right now.  Scotch selection was okay.  I passed on a Compass Box Flaming Heart 2012 and everything else.

• 1 month later...

Saw the Cutty Sark Prohibition, which seemed like a decent whisky as I recall when it first came out, in the bargain bin. A 1 liter bottle at 100 proof for $19.99! Tempted but ultimately decided to pass. Might have to reconsider because, well, I just don't have enough whisky!

The Leviathan II cask strength was also in the bin. It was an interesting but rather polarizing bottle when I tried it some time ago but I passed on that one too at $39.99. Was about $60 originally as I recall. K&L had a disclaimer on it that said:

WARNING: these are interesting whiskies that are only for the adventurous.

Well, that pretty much says it all... :huh:

Cutty Sark Prohibition.JPG

If SB members in the Atlanta area are interested feel free to PM me.

Passed on a Hibiki 12 year for $130. Is this the new price for this because I've seen it at a couple of places? I like it — it's an easy sipper that's unique. But, I thought even the $65 I used to see it before was a bit of a stretch. $130 is just ridiculous.

What was Hibiki 12yo is now NAS Hibiki "Harmony" so the 12yo is likely getting some extra gouging as a dusty from distributors/retailers who still have it. The new NAS Harmony is now selling for $65-70 so if you do see the 12yo at anything close to $65 and know you like it then it is probably a buy because of it's dusty status. But at $135, or probably anything much above former retail, it is a pass for me as well.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Here is what I am seeing in the Japanese universe, having only gotten around to Japanese whisky in the past year or so.  I would say the going rate now for the four previously-common 12 year olds--Hibiki 12, Yamazaki 12, Hakushu 12 and Taketsuru 12, is around $90 minimum per bottle.  Hakushu 12 seems to be the only one decently stocked anymore, with the others essentially gone, or just a bottle popping up now and then. 

I was able to grab a few of each for less than the current going rate as of several months ago, with the Taketsuru 12 and Hibiki 12 under $70, and the Yamazaki 12 and Hakushu 12 under $80.  I missed any significantly lower pricing, but I was willing to pay a bit of a premium to have a solid stable of age-stated Japanese whisky in the stable, before they shot up in price or disappeared.

I do frankly enjoy each of these 4 quite a bit, and am glad to have them around, including enough to last awhile.  Even at the prices I paid, it is pretty well known that they are not the best "values" out there.  At their current pricing, you really need to want this stuff to purchase it, as the age stated stuff has gotten a bit out of hand. 

• 3 weeks later...

A local joint had Resbreast 12 for $50 and Hibiki 12 Year for $70. It was kind of hard to pass on both of those but I grabbed my Rittenhouse BIB and made it to the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's weird, many Binny's got Lagavulin 8 months ago but my local one finally stocked them within the past week. Passed for now, don't imagine they'll clear anytime soon. Also left a very interesting sherried Arran selection at $120 that will enter my bunker at some point assuming it lingers.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed on a number of on sale items, particularly:

Oban 18 @ $99

Flaming Heart 2015 @ $100

I wish I had more room for open booze in my house.  I'd open the Flaming Heart 2015 I have bunkered and see if it's worth bunkering another.  Based on how long these compass box releases hang out 'round these parts, I'm not too worried about this being a real missed opportunity.  Oban 18 typically retails for $130 around here, so it was really hard to pass on it at that price, though.  I predict that I'll cave by the end of the month.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.