BOTM 9/16: Russell's Reserve Single Barrel

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A bit lat to the party on this one, but I've spent some time with about a quarter of a store pick of this one over the past month. While it's not bad by any means, it's very underwhelming to me. It has a rather generic bourbon profile with some alcohol astringency. If this and my last bottle of RB were my only experiences with WT I would say I'm not a fan. However, I have some old label RR 10yr, pre-hiatus 101 Rye and 101 Old No. 8 that I love  and have had some older WTKS that was insanely good so I know WT can do great things. I've also had some new 101 recently that I thought was good. After this, I have a new bottle of RR 10 to open and try. If that goes well, I may continue to explore recent WT bottles. If not, I'll stick to 101.

I picked up a store pick of this and WTKS recently after tasting it in the store. This was the first RR bottle that I've ever tried, and it was really good. There are so many stores now that have tasting bottles of their store pick barrels that it's an easy purchase to make when you get to sample before you buy.

I must admit that I'm not sure if the bottle I have is the same or not, but it is a Total Wine selection that I opened last night.  The color was on the dark side with a nose you could smell all day long... strong caramel notes, like a dessert almost.  It seems to hit the palate stronger than a 110 proof, but maybe it's because it's the first pour out of the bottle.  The finish is great and it eases up after the first hit to the mouth.  Happy I have a bottle (recommended to me by the Total Wine whisky guy).

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, you guys inspired me to open this store select I had in the bunker. Don't worry you didn't have to twist my arm very much.  Hope it's a good one because there's another one in the bunker just like it, haha.

IMG_1043.JPG

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

Alright, you guys inspired me to open this store select I had in the bunker. Don't worry you didn't have to twist my arm very much.  Hope it's a good one because there's another one in the bunker just like it, haha.

IMG_1043.JPG

I think you'll be pleased.

Thanks for posting the pic as this is the same bottle that I have.  The nose and color are amazing.

5 hours ago, flahute said:

I think you'll be pleased.

It was excellent as expected. I've had the RR SiB before but this is the first of this store's own private select I've had.  A great bourbon that hits all the right notes for this guy anyway.

• jbutler unpinned this topic
  • 2 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.