BOTM 9/16: Russell's Reserve Single Barrel

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There's been some chatter about this one on the site, so I thought it might be a good BOTM. 

I have noticed that it may have been called Russell's Reserve SmB Single barrel or Russell's Reserve Single Barrel SmB as well as Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. Whatever you choose to call it, it's the BOTM this time around. :D

I've seen this in a few places, but for some unknown reason I've never pulled the trigger on one. In other words, since I haven't had it before, I can't comment on it.  Although………:huh:…… I do happen to know someone that has a couple of bottles. Maybe before the month is out, I might just git a lil taste. (Hint Hint) :P

Cheers ya'all, and happy posting.

Joe

Not quite the cost value or silky elegance of the RB, but this brand isn't trying to smoothly mimic anything else in the house. 

Rich, bold and flavorful (some of the private selections can be heavenly), PS or not, this is the 'big boy' whiskey of DSP-KY-67. 

The first one I bought I really enjoyed - more so than WTRB.  The next one I tried was less impressive, so I didn't dive in to buy a second when the first emptied.  Some of the private selections are stellar though - and after having some of those, I wouldn't shy away from it when I find myself out.  This isn't as refined as WTRB, but it isn't as harsh as one might expect from WT.  I usually pick up a lot of chocolate, and deep/rich flavors.  It feels to me like someone took the Turkey dial and amped up everything except the spice bite.  

What Gary and Paddy said!    Both of their experiences/comments mirror my own.   I have only bought 3-'regular shelf' bottles and all were good enough; but not quite stellar for the price.      However, the two different Private Selections I've tasted have both been VERY nice stuff.     Makes me wonder if WT chooses to a profile for this brand that is a bit different than my favorite spot.

I've almost always liked Rare Breed better, so I think their preferred profile for that brand is more in line with my tastes.

One of the only everyday WT expressions I care for at all - but I really like this one and when I can find it for $46 to $50 it's a real treat!  Staring at 3 bottles now while I type this and will open one in honor of this thread tonight

Had been doing glencairne RHF all night and switched it up for watching Neil Gaiman's Stardust with Russell Reserve 10 yo.  The Russell's was surprisingly good and followed the RHF well, much better than I expected, nice thick mouthfeel and better finish than I remembered.  Okay, the 10 yo sibling is not the BOTM, but found it cool coincidence that's what I was drinking and then saw Russell's SB BOTM. 

More on point, I really like Russell's SB.  I always enjoy drinking it.  Though sometimes I find it more crude and one dimensional compared to Kentucky Spirit, often times Russell's is more satisfying.  Every bar should have an open bottle of Russell's.  IMO, it's well worth the extra few bucks to step up to this from standard WT.

The recent GBS pick of this may well have ruined the line for me. Have yet to have one any better, that's for sure!

A RR private barrel from Bayway re-opened my eyes to WT, having given it up as my exploration of bourbon moved on from the basics.  A barrel from the 7th floor (reputed to be Jimmy Russel's favorite spot in the warehouse) may be the best bottle for the money I have consumed over the last 12 months.  Still want the Master's Keep, but at a 4:1 exchange rate with the RR Private Selection, I keep asking myself if I remember my lone taste of the Master's Keep well enough to judge if it was worth it?

Edited by El Vino

I've been drinking a fair amount of this lately and have to say that it's become one of my favorites. When I first got into this hobby at the enthusiast level a number of years ago I initially resisted purchasing this. It was back during the 'single barrel small batch" label which made no sense so I didn't know what to make of it. Because of the label confusion and it being a bit of a hokey label (to my eye, which is more critical than most) I had a hard time paying the price for it. Well that all changed one day for reasons I can't remember and I came home with one and was glad I did. Good depth of flavor and well rounded and plenty potent at 110 proof. To me it was a clear winner over Kentucky Spirit which is only a few dollars cheaper. I do love Rare Breed as well and it wins on value hands down, but RRSiB offers a level of refinement combined with pop that I really love.

After that first bottle I bought, it disappeared for a while around here - more than a year's absence. When it finally came back, I didn't mess around. There are two local barrels and I have multiples of each. I'm also a part of a group that picked a barrel of this recently and have multiples of that coming in as well. 

Between WT101, WTRB, and RRSiB, there's a lot of Turkey out there that I like at all of the price points. Life is good when you have those options.

• I like it 1

Love this whiskey.  It's everything good about WT, but goosed up in every category.  I'm not bashful to say that it is my favorite GBS selection, to date.  Though, our recent 1792 Full Proof is giving it a run for its money...

This is one of my favorites — it might be my favorite regularly available bottle at the moment. Like others have said, it's a bolder and richer version WT101. I It's so good that I almost never buy anything else from WT. The last few times I've emptied a bottle, I've intended to replace it with RB or WTKS but keep ending up with another bottle of this.

On 9/2/2016 at 7:20 PM, GaryT said:

The first one I bought I really enjoyed - more so than WTRB.  The next one I tried was less impressive, so I didn't dive in to buy a second when the first emptied.  Some of the private selections are stellar though - and after having some of those, I wouldn't shy away from it when I find myself out.  This isn't as refined as WTRB, but it isn't as harsh as one might expect from WT.  I usually pick up a lot of chocolate, and deep/rich flavors.  It feels to me like someone took the Turkey dial and amped up everything except the spice bite.  

That last line summed it up for me.  Having said that, I have to be honest that last week was my first RR Single Barrel and I only had one drink of it, so you can pretty much discount my observations.

But I ordered it alongside the RR 10 year. It definitely was an improvement over the RR 10 year (which is no slouch in my book) and seemed to accentuate the richer and sweeter flavors in a way that better complemented the Turkey Spice. WTRB has long been a favorite of mine and I want to go back now and size this up side by side with the WTRB to see if it merits the mark-up. 

1 hour ago, Guardian Enzo said:

Anyone tried any of the K&L selections?

Not of this, but based on their picks on the "dark side", I'd be willing to give them a shot.  Wish to hell they'd ship to Georgia :) 

4 hours ago, Guardian Enzo said:

Anyone tried any of the K&L selections?

Yes. One of the exceptional PS's I had was a K&L selection. I believe it was #531 which is now gone. 

Given that history, if K&L is local for you, give their current one a shot, I bet you will not be disappointed. 

Thanks - I've generally been impressed with their store selections (I have their current 4R OESO and it's excellent).

Had a pour last night in honor of BOTM. The first time I had this was after a sample of the then new 112p Rare Breed, I felt RR was the better pour and went out the next day to grab a bottle of that local stores private selection. I only have PS versions of RR, 3 different to be exact and they are all stellar. I'll echo what others have said about it having all that WT goodness cranked up to 11. The pour last night was a perfect illustration and in addition to great and multilayered flavors, it was the balance between them that stood out.  One of my absolute favorite bourbons and a fine BOTM selection.

I love this stuff. It's my top Wild Turkey bourbon among their regular product line.  This thread makes me want to open up one of bottles in the bunker.

17 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I love this stuff. It's my top Wild Turkey bourbon among their regular product line.  This thread makes me want to open up one of bottles in the bunker.

I know how you feel Kepler, I was in a store today and I had fight the urge to buy another RRSiB to add to the bunker.   This bourbon is just top notch.

I have a couple of bottles. One I can't open since Jimmy signed it. :) Personally like the 10 better than anything in the lineup but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite WT product.  Bold and with a just right amount of kick.  I have a store selection waiting to be opened, but I need to get closer to the bottom of the currently open bottle.

I bought a bottle of this when it first came out a few years ago, and while it was good, I was a bit disappointed. I think my expectations were too high. Since then, however, I've grabbed a few store picks and figure it being BOtM is a good excuse to open up one of them! This is an older K&L exclusive, barrel #19. A good amount of oak in this which is balanced nicely by some brown sugar sweetness, a lot of cinnamon, and some creamsicle. Really good bottle - I certainly like this one more than the first one I had. I may have to look for some more store selections.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.