FC 103, 6yr vs. HH BiB 6 yr

Wedelstaedt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

For those that have had both, how do you compare the two. 

by drinking them  :D

I've been a repeat customer for both over the years, but have never done a side by side.  From memory, I'd say they go with a bit more rye forward profile for the FC.   I like them both.  Keep in mind we are talking about the same mash bill and age.  I doubt 3 proof makes a big difference.  Most of it probably comes down to barrel selection.

The reason, I posed the question is  just what Louisiana stated, lack of availability for HH BiB. I am aware of same mashbill, so it got me to think. I have not had the pleasure of HHBiB, but still see FC 103 6yr. So, curious on the profile comparo. 

Thanks for responses 

If you're still seeing age-stated FC you might want to grab a couple. It lost the age statement a while back. As for comparisons, HH6 BIB is a more rounded, well-integrated whiskey while FC has a rougher, more brash profile. Both good, but for different reasons.

2 minutes ago, mosugoji64 said:

If you're still seeing age-stated FC you might want to grab a couple. It lost the age statement a while back. As for comparisons, HH6 BIB is a more rounded, well-integrated whiskey while FC has a rougher, more brash profile. Both good, but for different reasons.

Brian nailed my recollection of FC 6yr (although I also never did a blind SBS).  I pick up the HH 6 BIB when in Kentucky - for my money it is the best bottle under $15.  When FC6yr was around, it was a few bucks more - but I honestly didn't even know they were the same mashbill.  The HH reminds me of EW, while the FC had a lot more edge.  Maybe the FC is aged a bit higher than the HH?

I buy FC for football season for watching South Carolina games. Other than that, I'm happy to have the HH6YO--which I hope to be restocking in KY in the middle of Oct. FC used to cost about $6 to $8 more depending on where you found it. In absolute terms, I don't think it was a third better than HH6 but you have to pay for that cool label now don't you?

That's what I thought, but doubts had crept back as I've been seeing a rash of them with 6yr label.

Must be clearing out a shelf in the warehouse......

May add a couple for future fun.

B

Sent from my iPhone

32 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

I buy FC for football season for watching South Carolina games. Other than that, I'm happy to have the HH6YO--which I hope to be restocking in KY in the middle of Oct. FC used to cost about $6 to $8 more depending on where you found it. In absolute terms, I don't think it was a third better than HH6 but you have to pay for that cool label now don't you?

Oh, I get it!  South Carolina = Gamecocks,  FC = Fighting Cock!  I can guess most of the abbreviations on here, but was racking (not wracking) my brain as to what FC 103 was . . . . .  :lol:

They're close,  but just tasted them blind and there are differences and prefer the BIB. More stone fruit, tangier, less mint and brighter. Definetly in the pedigree of a modern EC 12. The FC is more rye forward, little fruit, slight bitter but you could argue richer. The pic doesn't show but the FC is appreciably darker. The FC seems to be a '13 bottling where the BIB was bought in Bardstown last spring. If you prefer wheaters and  more modern bourbon you'll give the nudge to the BIB.

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, BFerguson said:

That's what I thought, but doubts had crept back as I've been seeing a rash of them with 6yr label.

Must be clearing out a shelf in the warehouse......

May add a couple for future fun.

B

Sent from my iPhone

I can confirm that the age statement went away and I'd be very surprised if it came back.  I am a big fan of both but leaned towards the FC simply because I felt it carried some extra spice with it that was great in cocktails.  I keep looking everyone where for age stated FC and all I can find in KY is NAS (Ohio does not carry either one).

I bought it and liked it when it was still 8 years age stated, but sort of lost interest as it was bottled younger.

On September 22, 2016 at 9:01 PM, T Comp said:

They're close,  but just tasted them blind and there are differences and prefer the BIB. More stone fruit, tangier, less mint and brighter. Definetly in the pedigree of a modern EC 12. The FC is more rye forward, little fruit, slight bitter but you could argue richer. The pic doesn't show but the FC is appreciably darker. The FC seems to be a '13 bottling where the BIB was bought in Bardstown last spring. If you prefer wheaters and  more modern bourbon you'll give the nudge to the BIB.

image.jpeg

T Comp, 

thank you for your detailed SBS , your post illuminates the differences between the two.   What I was looking for, when I started the thread. 

35 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

Does anyone else get a striking similarity between hh6yr and larceny?

Not really, other than they're both bourbon.  We're talking different mash bills now; wheat vs. rye.

8 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Does anyone else get a striking similarity between hh6yr and larceny?

Not even close for me. I like HH6 quite a bit and hate Larceny (which has been confirmed twice via double blind tastings.)

15 hours ago, squire said:

I bought it and liked it when it was still 8 years age stated, but sort of lost interest as it was bottled younger.

Kinda' like Barrel Bourbon Batch #006 (8 yrs) vs. Batch #007 (5 yrs) at the same price?????     :angry: 

Sorry for the thread drift.  All we get in is NAS FC - boooooo.   :(

Edited by GeeTen

On 9/22/2016 at 10:01 PM, T Comp said:

If you prefer wheaters and  more modern bourbon you'll give the nudge to the BIB.

image.jpeg

Point of clarification: What is "more modern bourbon"? 

15 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Point of clarification: What is "more modern bourbon"? 

More modern bourbon in my opinion has more fruit, vanilla, balance and even some of the dreaded smoothness us enthusiasts often belittle . Specifics vary from distillers and true dusty FC I've had is even more intense, oiler and mentholly but this  6 year FC from '11 has enough of those older characteristics opposed to the 6 year BIB

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.