BTAC

JTaylor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ina a dive?   92 mph.    In straight and level flight?   49 mph.     In an upswing?   31.5 mph.     Chasing a mosquito?  Who can say?

...And you can take all this to the bank!   ....With as many grains of salt as you deem appropriate.

Are you trying to tell me that a swallow is capable of carrying a bottle of Stagg?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Just now, Ravensfire said:

Are you trying to tell me that a swallow is capable of carrying a bottle of Stagg?

Only if the swallow is veeeery rapidly swallowing it.   Then (and only then) could the average swallow carry that sort of weight.  

However, in this day and age, any swallow might be motivated by the huge secondary market price commanded by a bottle of GTS, to perform waaaaasy beyond the average.     ...Just sayin'......

11 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Ina a dive?   92 mph.    In straight and level flight?   49 mph.     In an upswing?   31.5 mph.     Chasing a mosquito?  Who can say?

...And you can take all this to the bank!   ....With as many grains of salt as you deem appropriate.

Is that a European swallow or an African swallow?  Google Monty Python and the Holy Grail for perspective on Richnimrod's post about BTAC and the Holy Grail.

6 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Is that a European swallow or an African swallow?  Google Monty Python and the Holy Grail for perspective on Richnimrod's post about BTAC and the Holy Grail.

I AM SOOOO SORRY!    I assumed you were speaking of our own native American Barn swallows.    What the European or African swallows are capable of.... I haven't a clue.

I DO know that our swallows don't really 'swallow' much Bourbon.... even on a good night... even spectacular pours (such as the aforementioned GTS).   Their loss.

Don't those sorts of answers get some one thrown off the bridge?

I don't know the answer to that!

All I can say is that I've never swallowed ANY of the BTAC, ORVW, or Pappy. That's like being a rabid firearm enthusiast and never firing a .50 cal and never smelling the cordite or feeling that recoil! It's like being a huge NASCAR fan and never going to a race and never smelling the alcohol and burnt rubber for yourself but hearing all about it! Seeing all the posts on the "Show us your stash" thread is like being in love with your best friend's girl! I love so many of the products from BT but I'm starting to resent them for doing this to me (us). I'm going to keep trying... the store that seems to be my best chance is a 30 minute drive so I've vowed to make the trip every Friday now through the end of October on the off chance that I'll arrive just as they're placing a bottle or two on the shelf. I think my days of chasing all the other one-offs are over, but the quest to find one of the big boys at retail I fear may never end!

On 9/23/2016 at 9:37 PM, Richnimrod said:

Remind me.... Is the Holy Grail mythical?   ...OR is it the BTAC that's a myth?

Well, I may soon be over it. I have two W12s, 2 SAOS SB 10s, 2 SAOS10yrs, and a 4RPS OBSQ on their way. If they live up to their reputations I may forget all about the BTAC!

1 hour ago, JTaylor said:

Well, I may soon be over it. I have two W12s, 2 SAOS SB 10s, 2 SAOS10yrs, and a 4RPS OBSQ on their way. If they live up to their reputations I may forget all about the BTAC!

Ahh, some nice stuff in which to drown any sorrows at missing out on the BTAC.   Good on ya'!

4 hours ago, JTaylor said:

JT, I feel your pain.  We've all been through this.  Truth is, this is the hands down, absolute worst time in history to get into the game.  Those are great bottles you have coming that many folks can only dream of getting their hands on.  At present, we're all competing with smaller allocations, flippers, on premise accounts, and hyper demand (sumbitches are chasing delivery trucks:D). 

My humble advice would be to have a pour out of each of your new bottles(not all at once:blink:), then go to a bar and order a pour of each unicorn your heart desires.  You'll not only get a lot of frustration out of your system, but you'll also realize that what you have at home shares a lot more in similarity to those 'unicorns', than differences. 

This approach will give you the best of both worlds and save you a little cash.  More importantly, it'll save you from a major investment of time and anxiety.  I admit, I'm never going to pass on a unicorn...  

... but, I ain't gonna 'bleed out' for one either. 

OGD BIB anyone?    

^^^^^This guy speaks the truth. I love my BTAC, but it's not the end all be all. I have a nice stash I've built up, but if I never find another one, I'm OK with it. I've found zen in what I can find on the shelf every day. Every year, I have less motivation for the hustle required to obtain the limiteds. It's just not worth it anymore. Really good single barrels is where it's at.

8 hours ago, flahute said:

^^^^^This guy speaks the truth. I love my BTAC, but it's not the end all be all. I have a nice stash I've built up, but if I never find another one, I'm OK with it. I've found zen in what I can find on the shelf every day. Every year, I have less motivation for the hustle required to obtain the limiteds. It's just not worth it anymore. Really good single barrels is where it's at.

I'm slowly coming around to the realization that I just need to be happy with what I CAN find on the shelf.  Just last week I found an OFBB and snatched it up. When supplies are so limited that most people can't even find a bottle it makes me wonder what good is just one bottle? I'd either want to leave it unopened, or open it and probably worsen the fever when it starts getting close to empty! I have a cousin in Lexington that shares my passion and who also makes several trips back to Michigan each year with bottles I can't find here so I suppose I am in better shape than a lot of folks.  I guess I just need to realize that just because I like cars, I don't need to own a Ferrari... But a ride in one just once would be AWESOME!!! 

54 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

I'm slowly coming around to the realization that I just need to be happy with what I CAN find on the shelf.  Just last week I found an OFBB and snatched it up. When supplies are so limited that most people can't even find a bottle it makes me wonder what good is just one bottle? I'd either want to leave it unopened, or open it and probably worsen the fever when it starts getting close to empty! I have a cousin in Lexington that shares my passion and who also makes several trips back to Michigan each year with bottles I can't find here so I suppose I am in better shape than a lot of folks.  I guess I just need to realize that just because I like cars, I don't need to own a Ferrari... But a ride in one just once would be AWESOME!!! 

Hang in there.  You'll get to try the rare stuff someday.  The important thing is to not let your relaxing hobby begin to stress you out.

I've felt that way before JT, because I didn't have many bottles in the bunker. I've always liked whiskey, but Bourbon hit me like a tons of bricks 1.5 ago. Fast forward to this year and I have a total different mindset. The bunker has started and although not much will beat the LE's, some are very close or just as good to my palate as the LE's. The best advice I can give is to meet other guys who really enjoy this hobby & be a solid customer to shops that actually get the "good stuff". Good Luck!

Another thing to think about. I opened GTS, WLW, Saz18, FR LE's, OFBB, ORVWPVW etc. etc. immediately. Now the decision on what to go for is easy. Find out what you like and go for those few bottles rather than all of them! And as others have said enjoy it! What good is a hobby that drives you nuts!

IMO the best way to get unicorn bottles in this climate takes commitment to one store, befriending (sincerely) the manager/owner who is in charge of how the LE's are sold to customers and to spend money at that store all year round (including beer, wine, soda, other booze, cups, etc.), and to make sure that one guys knows you spend there, and often, for all your liquid needs.  I also go to tastings at the store and drop off samples of some of the nicer bottles for my contact so he knows I open them and don't bunker everything or flip.  When the Fall rolls around, have a conversation and tell him how happy you'd be to have an opportunity to buy one these unicorns.  Hopefully you built up enough goodwill that the employee will have you in mind when LE's come in and you'll get one, because most likely, they will never, ever, hit the shelf.  This sounds easy, but can take months or even years, however, I guarantee it will pay off one day.  What I've learned from talking to store employees is that more and more, they are making efforts to not sell LE's to flippers, strangers, once a year shoppers, big spending wine guys and the like.  They would rather sell to true bourbon enthusiasts, but you have to make your self known with your friendship, dollars and loyalty all year round. 

1 hour ago, Louisiana said:

I've felt that way before JT, because I didn't have many bottles in the bunker. I've always liked whiskey, but Bourbon hit me like a tons of bricks 1.5 ago. Fast forward to this year and I have a total different mindset. The bunker has started and although not much will beat the LE's, some are very close or just as good to my palate as the LE's. The best advice I can give is to meet other guys who really enjoy this hobby & be a solid customer to shops that actually get the "good stuff". Good Luck!

Yeah, I know... I think there's some self loathing thrown in there too because I'm certain I remember seeing BTAC on the shelf years ago and didn't buy because I just wasn't aware of what they were... I'm sure that is driving a lot of my frustration... Don't get me wrong, it is a good frustration, it keeps me going back to the store and I've found some good alternatives just by making the trip to the store, and am beginning to form good relationships with the guys (and gals) at some pretty good liquor stores in the process.

Funny what a joyous occasion it was when I discovered (at the time) $8 Benchmark! 

Got a note from a local ABC Board that they would be having their lottery in the next couple of weeks but the only thing they received was THH and GTS

8 hours ago, jvd99 said:

IMO the best way to get unicorn bottles in this climate takes commitment to one store, befriending (sincerely) the manager/owner who is in charge of how the LE's are sold to customers and to spend money at that store all year round (including beer, wine, soda, other booze, cups, etc.), and to make sure that one guys knows you spend there, and often, for all your liquid needs.  I also go to tastings at the store and drop off samples of some of the nicer bottles for my contact so he knows I open them and don't bunker everything or flip.  When the Fall rolls around, have a conversation and tell him how happy you'd be to have an opportunity to buy one these unicorns.  Hopefully you built up enough goodwill that the employee will have you in mind when LE's come in and you'll get one, because most likely, they will never, ever, hit the shelf.  This sounds easy, but can take months or even years, however, I guarantee it will pay off one day.  What I've learned from talking to store employees is that more and more, they are making efforts to not sell LE's to flippers, strangers, once a year shoppers, big spending wine guys and the like.  They would rather sell to true bourbon enthusiasts, but you have to make your self known with your friendship, dollars and loyalty all year round. 

This spells out my approach, although I try to be an engaged regular patron with 2 stores versus 1. I will add that I try to always shop for my wife to enhance this. Whenever she needs a bottle of wine I tell her no problem, I'll get it for you, and that gives me an extra excuse to visit the store and buy something rather than just having her do it on her own. She thinks I'm a very attentive husband, and the stores see me and chat with me more often. If she wants/needs more than one bottle, I'll stop at good store #1 and buy the first bottle and then stop by good store #2 for the second bottle. Doubling my relationship investment at the stores without actually spending more money (just a little more time). I get friendly calls when good things come in, etc. while some people I know drive all over the state trying to hit 100 stores only to walkout empty handed on LEs 99% of the time

11 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

This spells out my approach, although I try to be an engaged regular patron with 2 stores versus 1. I will add that I try to always shop for my wife to enhance this. Whenever she needs a bottle of wine I tell her no problem, I'll get it for you, and that gives me an extra excuse to visit the store and buy something rather than just having her do it on her own. She thinks I'm a very attentive husband, and the stores see me and chat with me more often. If she wants/needs more than one bottle, I'll stop at good store #1 and buy the first bottle and then stop by good store #2 for the second bottle. Doubling my relationship investment at the stores without actually spending more money (just a little more time). I get friendly calls when good things come in, etc. while some people I know drive all over the state trying to hit 100 stores only to walkout empty handed on LEs 99% of the time

Exactly where I'm at... As you can see I try to keep my bar stocked, I've started a small bunker and there are a couple vodkas, rums, and mixers etc... that I bunker besides bourbon just so I don't run out if there's an impromptu gathering so I have plenty of opportunities for purchasing. I've stopped picking that stuff up at the discount box store and have tried to give the two stores I frequent all of my adult refreshment business and try to talk to the same person / people each time. Granted, I spend a little more, but I look at it as financing my opportunity at a unicorn!

Unopened bottles.png

I checked The Missouri Label Approval Spreadsheet. Sazerac applied for lable approval for "George T. Stagg, Thomas" and in the products area it says 3. It usually runs a month before approval is granted. So I interpret this as we're getting Stagg, Handy, and Weller based on production #s. It also means it's in the warehouse in other states. So start hunting.

It is official, BTAC is out in the wild in NC. Managed to score a bottle of GTS after sweet talking my local ABC store employee. One of the bigger stores in town got a whole 6 bottles total! I was shocked as they got 6 cases of the stuff last year. The bottle I ended up with was designated for a restaurant like the other 5 bottles. I can't imagine maybe 1 or 2 from other stores actually made it into retail customers hands. Best of luck hunting out there kids. It is getting worse each year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.