What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Continuing the Friday celebration with a pour of CB The General.  

My nights pretty good but it lookalike Gary's is freakin' great

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

My nights pretty good but it lookalike Gary's is freakin' great

Country is on FIRE!  

Toasting the cool weather with an Exclusive Malts Bowmore 2001.  The savory notes have died down a bit, and some sherried sweetness is showing through.  Good stuff.

Tomatin 12 and a bag of Funyun's while listening to Falcons/Saints on the radio.  Is this even legal y'all?!!!

Sprinkbank 16 Amontillado is hitting the spot tonight while watching the Louisville/ Clemson game

I've had a fall allergy attack something awful this past week. I couldn't enjoy any whiskey. Last night wasn't much better but I needed a drink while firing up the grill. I decided to do a Frankenmingle with a bunch of small leftover samples I've received over the last six months. Proportions and specifics went right out the window. Mostly it was Laphroaig, Bowmore, and Auchentoshan of some variety. Couldn't taste much of anything so who knows how it was.

Opened my first Ledaig 10 this evening. Wowsers. Terrific dram. Sweet, briny, waxy, well peated but balanced. Top dram!

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Opened my first Ledaig 10 this evening. Wowsers. Terrific dram. Sweet, briny, waxy, well peated but balanced. Top dram!

That's a great one.  A little heavier on the first fill bourbon than I normally care for, but with Ledaig 10 it works well.

I opened a bottle of First Editions Linkwood 24 1987-2012 last night.  Based on the first pour, this might end up being a rather expensive mixer.  Very savory and herbal, with some weird rose petal and  tired oak bitterness.  Pretty hot too.  Hopefully some air time sorts things out.

Cracked open my 1st Laphroig 10 Cask Strength today. 

Wow, what a dram this is!!!!!

was a 90 minute dram and changed on the nose and palet continuously 

a must have winter dram.

Wasn't able to make the Kilchoman East Coast tour stop at my local bottle shop, so I joined in "spirit" (har har har) with a Kilchoman Vintage 2008.  This is possibly the most bourbon-like single malt I have ever tasted.  Right now it tastes like fresh apple pie sprinkled with ashy peat.  Very different sort of spirit relative to my usual Islay haunts.

On 10/6/2016 at 7:30 AM, BigPapa said:

Cracked open my 1st Laphroig 10 Cask Strength today. 

Wow, what a dram this is!!!!!

was a 90 minute dram and changed on the nose and palet continuously 

a must have winter dram.

You need to find a sherried Ledaig. Will likely need to be an Independent. Sherry players really well with that spirit especially younger 

18 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

You need to find a sherried Ledaig. Will likely need to be an Independent. Sherry players really well with that spirit especially younger 

There are a couple sister barrels of first fill sherry Ledaig in the 9-10 yr range put out by Signatory Vintage floating around the United States right now, and quite a few more in the world markets.  Normally that wouldn't mean much but these were full butts, so that's like 600-700 bottles per cask, or probably upwards of 3k bottles.  Makes them relatively easy to track down.  Some casks are obviously better than others, but none that I'm aware of have been poorly reviewed.

I had dinner with this nice fellow last night. (Thanks Bruce!) Excellent night. Peat Monster, Spice Tree, Hedonism, 3 Year Deluxe, and Spice Tree Extravaganza were shared around the table.

e396b662e6633ad0f592b0889e86a219.jpg

18 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I had dinner with this nice fellow last night. (Thanks Bruce!) Excellent night. Peat Monster, Spice Tree, Hedonism, 3 Year Deluxe, and Spice Tree Extravaganza were shared around the table.

e396b662e6633ad0f592b0889e86a219.jpg

Sounds like a great time!  How was Spice Tree Extravaganza?

I thought it was excellent (again)! But I also have to admit it came after the dinner so I had already consumed several cocktails, glasses of wine and a whisky or three, not to mention the dinner that ran the gamut from oysters to a GBS specialty, roasted goat! So it was unfortunately again not in an ideal setting to really sit and ponder it for its own merits.

But it was a delightful evening to be sure!

That is encouraging.  As long as the U.S. price is reasonable, I'll be in for at least a bottle.  Looks like there were 12,000+ bottles produced, so I'm not too worried about obtaining one.

Giving that First Editions Linkwood 24 a second chance with an afternoon pour.  Poured the spirit into a brandy snifter and let it sit for about 45 minutes before trying it.  This helped quite a bit.  Brandy snifters really seem to help old, locked up spirit.

Gone are most of the tired, gross notes I tasted last time.  Instead, I ended up with lots of refill ex bourbon + older fruity speysider notes, which I'm not complaining about.  Good lush fruit in the nose, tropical even.  The palate is less tropical, and more stone fruit with maybe some mango and guava notes on the finish.  It's a little generic in one sense, but overall I love this sort of profile, so who cares?

I am guessing this sherry hogshead was American oak to begin with.  No telling what happened after the initial cooperage, but I expect it was cut from ex bourbon barrels, sherry treated, used to age malt, then reused for this malt.  Regardless, the air time and more generous glass have brought out characteristics I really enjoy, so bully for me.

11 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

There are a couple sister barrels of first fill sherry Ledaig in the 9-10 yr range put out by Signatory Vintage floating around the United States right now, and quite a few more in the world markets.  Normally that wouldn't mean much but these were full butts, so that's like 600-700 bottles per cask, or probably upwards of 3k bottles.  Makes them relatively easy to track down.  Some casks are obviously better than others, but none that I'm aware of have been poorly reviewed.

Look for Murray McDavid too

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.