What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

How was that?

I am guessing it was delightfully thin after Bushmill's, as is there tendency, thoughtfully filled this NAS single malt bottle up with a large portion of water before bottling. Perhaps they were looking out for me in case I don't have access to any water of my own...

I am increasingly leery of travel retail exclusive bottles, especially ones bottled at 80 proof. And especially NAS whiskey for upwards of $80 or more.

How was that?

Fine. Not over or underwhelming.

And Bruce,..... :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Fine. Not over or underwhelming.

And Bruce,..... :P

As it should be... B)

This one I liked from the get go, but I seem to love it more and more each time I pour. 4fc6a76f4ff627bafabc9a3660f0dc5c.jpg

In honor of St Patrick's day comin up I'm having a pour of Tullamore Dew Phoenix.  Likely have some Redbreast 12 CS later. 

Compass Box Peat Monster Cask Strength at the moment

Drinking a sample of Ardbeg Kelpie.  It tastes like cask strength Auriverdes.  Nice enough, but I'm glad I avoided this release.

A small pour of jura 16. I like this single malt. Easy drinking, wood spices, some sherry influence, and 1 third of the bottle gone, it is developing a nice sweetness.

Gonzo got me to thinking of this bottle, so decided to have it as my start-off pour.  Big grapey-ness, that borders on being out of balance, but incredibly drinkable. I enjoy the Glenmorangie Portwood finish more, but this is fine whiskey regardless.

image.jpg

Not actually drinking this tonight, per se, but lately been warming up for St. Patrick's day with Bushmills Black Bush. Pretty tasty for a readily available and reasonably priced Irish Whiskey!

A cold and snowy night deserves a warm and smoky dram while catch up on Stranger Things. 75b09d2ec8133017a8c1ac2f9571a9d6.jpg

Flaming Heart 2015 on a cold winter night.  I'll need to put a bottle or two of this away.  Brings a smile to my face every time I have a glass.

34 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Flaming Heart 2015 on a cold winter night.  I'll need to put a bottle or two of this away.  Brings a smile to my face every time I have a glass.

I hear ya!  I have to say though, nearly every CB bottling puts me in a great place.  So many great whiskies from there.

Had a couple pours from a local pick of Knappogue 12yr (Sherlocks for the ATL locals if they're interested).  For $40, I'm loving it.  Has a lovely thick mouthfeel, and much more flavor than I recall the retail KC12 has (the extra proof I'm sure has some play there!)  Looking forward to hearing others thoughts this Saturday (and glad to no longer have the claim of owning ONLY one bottle of Irish whiskey!)

3rd pour from the recently opened Teeling single malt. So far so good, its a unique pour with the 5 different finishes the result is starting to reveal all its layers as I get a handle on this one and I am enjoying it more with each pour. 1 more tonight and I'll see it next March as I'll be working this weekend and then its back to bourbon :).

I seem to like the Cooley distillate as I have enjoyed in the various forms I have tried. It will be interesting to taste what the Teelings dish out once the Dublin distillery has product ready in a few years.

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

3rd pour from the recently opened Teeling single malt. So far so good, its a unique pour with the 5 different finishes the result is starting to reveal all its layers as I get a handle on this one and I am enjoying it more with each pour. 1 more tonight and I'll see it next March as I'll be working this weekend and then its back to bourbon :).

I seem to like the Cooley distillate as I have enjoyed in the various forms I have tried. It will be interesting to taste what the Teelings dish out once the Dublin distillery has product ready in a few years.

Interestingly it appears Teeling will be triple distilling their whiskey as is more typical for Irish whiskey rather than double distilling  which was what was done at Cooley before the Teeling family sold it (and is more common for most, but not all, scotch whisky).  

Anybody know if the former Cooley, now owned by Beam Suntory and part of what is now called the Kilbeggan Distilling Company, is still making everything by double distillation? No reason to change if it ain't broke I suppose.

Happy St. Paddy's day y'all!  I'm out of town (at a kiddo's track meet) for now, but will be having a bit o' Redbreast 12 later to celebrate.  

Sláinte mhaith!

Happy St. Pats folks!  Celebrating with some Knappogue Castle 12yr to mark the holiday (although taking it easy as I have every intention of NOT taking it easy tomorrow night!)

It's just plain Un-American to not be drinkin' Irish, tonight...  :)

image.jpg

Happy St. Pats folks!  Celebrating with some Knappogue Castle 12yr to mark the holiday (although taking it easy as I have every intention of NOT taking it easy tomorrow night!)

What's tomorrow night?

9 minutes ago, BigRich said:

What's tomorrow night?

Lots 'O Wood Tips!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.