What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Lots 'O Wood Tips!!!

You know it! Already picked them up :D 

32 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

St. Pats.jpeg

Heehee!!!!!  Excellent!  :lol:

Happy Paddy's Day to you all!

Taking a rare deviation from the bourbon to enjoy some Irish. Started at work with basic Jameson's as an Irish woman at the office provided the libations for Beer:30. Now dipping into some Jameson 18yr from a bottle I bought 4 years ago. Will sneak down to the bunker after this and choose from my small Irish stash of Tullamore Phoenix, Powers John Lane, and Redbreast CS. I just don't visit those bottles enough.

8 hours ago, whiskeyagonzo said:

When in Rome, or Ireland, or whatever. 4a3b4d00f403a10fd308ccb12cf22476.jpg

I just poured some of this and am appreciating it quite a bit. It's good to switch things up from time to time. I should do it more often.

Alternating pours between these two. The Redbreast is surprisingly dense for an 80 proof Irish whiskey with marzipan, vanilla, and overripe orange. The Teeling (rum cask finish) is lighter and sweeter but still enjoyable 46df332e0b2dc9e676846232fdf8445a.jpg

Alternating pours between these two. The Redbreast is surprisingly dense for an 80 proof Irish whiskey with marzipan, vanilla, and overripe orange. The Teeling (rum cask finish) is lighter and sweeter but still enjoyable 46df332e0b2dc9e676846232fdf8445a.jpg

So does the teeling hold up next to the rb12? From your comments it sounds like it does

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

So does the teeling hold up next to the rb12? From your comments it sounds like it does

I thought both were good but I prefer the Redbreast. The Teeling is lighter despite the extra proof and I think it's less interesting than the RB12. Both are dangerously easy to drink. I enjoyed switching back and forth between the two just for the contrast.

I don't drink Irish whiskey too often, though, so don't put too much stock in my opinion!

Power's John's Lane 12yr again - I'm really liking this one. Following with Tullamore Dew Phoenix. Not sure about this one. I'm getting soapy notes that I rarely get in any whiskey. 

I've added some water and am waiting to see what happens. 

I thought both were good but I prefer the Redbreast. The Teeling is lighter despite the extra proof and I think it's less interesting than the RB12. Both are dangerously easy to drink. I enjoyed switching back and forth between the two just for the contrast.

I don't drink Irish whiskey too often, though, so don't put too much stock in my opinion!

I don't drink it much either, so that's perfect.

Evening started on Balvenie 12 Single Barrel. Moved onto Talisker 10. Lagavulin 16 next I think. 

Went to a newer cocktail/rum bar tonight and they had the new Lost Spirits whiskeys behind the counter. These are both 2yo Islay whiskys that LS bought and subjected to their reactor using slightly different wood. I asked about them and the bartender said someone brought them by so they could evaluate them and decide whether to carry them. The bartender was nice enough to give me a small complimentary pour of each. I thought they were both decent...pretty similar overall but the orange label ("The Crying of the Puma") was a little more dry and spicy than the black label ("The Sayers of the Law"). Hard to make a real evaluation based on a couple sips but I slightly preferred the sweetness of the black label, which was well-integrated and balanced nicely with the peat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:52 AM, Kpiz said:

Went to a newer cocktail/rum bar tonight and they had the new Lost Spirits whiskeys behind the counter. These are both 2yo Islay whiskys that LS bought and subjected to their reactor using slightly different wood. I asked about them and the bartender said someone brought them by so they could evaluate them and decide whether to carry them. The bartender was nice enough to give me a small complimentary pour of each. I thought they were both decent...pretty similar overall but the orange label ("The Crying of the Puma") was a little more dry and spicy than the black label ("The Sayers of the Law"). Hard to make a real evaluation based on a couple sips but I slightly preferred the sweetness of the black label, which was well-integrated and balanced nicely with the peat.

I presume you saw SKU's posts on these? You seem to a similar impression but have the opposite prefrence. I do like that SKU was able to review the base spirit as well. Not sure either of you make me want to go out and hunt this down (well, truth be told you both make me not want to spend any effort to hunt these down!) but as always I wouldn't turn down a sample, no matter how small, especially if it is at my favorite price, "complimentary"! :D

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I presume you saw SKU's posts on these? You seem to a similar impression but have the opposite prefrence. I do like that SKU was able to review the base spirit as well. Not sure either of you make me want to go out and hunt this down (well, truth be told you both make me not want to spend any effort to hunt these down!) but as always I wouldn't turn down a sample, no matter how small, especially if it is at my favorite price, "complimentary"! :D

Yep, the price was hard to beat so I figured I'd give them a shot! I did see SKU's post on these but couldn't remember exactly which one he preferred, and was able to refrain from checking the blog post until I came to my own conclusions. I will admit that his palate picks up on things that sometimes skate right by mine, including any sort of soapiness, which he seems to note fairly regularly. Although perhaps I could've picked up more subtleties with a larger sample.

Certainly not something you need to hunt down, but I am impressed with Lost Spirits' progress in this vein. I did buy (without trying) the newest version of their Navy Style Rum, so if you're interested, I will save you a couple ounces of that. I thought the original was good but I may be in the minority.

1 minute ago, Kpiz said:

Yep, the price was hard to beat so I figured I'd give them a shot! I did see SKU's post on these but couldn't remember exactly which one he preferred, and was able to refrain from checking the blog post until I came to my own conclusions. I will admit that his palate picks up on things that sometimes skate right by mine, including any sort of soapiness, which he seems to note fairly regularly. Although perhaps I could've picked up more subtleties with a larger sample.

Certainly not something you need to hunt down, but I am impressed with Lost Spirits' progress in this vein. I did buy (without trying) the newest version of their Navy Style Rum, so if you're interested, I will save you a couple ounces of that. I thought the original was good but I may be in the minority.

I did like the original version well enough but haven't tried the newest version. Seems like I have seen that locally somewhere but need to check.

JW Black to wind things down, tonight.  Simple, good, scotch.  

Working through a couple of large pours of the TRE Bushmills Steamship Sherry Cask last night. Trying to kill this one before month end.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.