What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying a Springbank 16 Amontillado after long day of family festivities for the baptism of my daughter.

After a day of casting at shadows, I am having a nice pour of Talisker Storm.  I don't even mind that I am drinking out of a plastic tumbler.  ;)

Aberlour 12 NCF.  I've used it to get into sherry cask finished scotches.  2/3 of the way through the bottle and finally tried it not neat.  Added a little bit of club soda, at room temp, and it really made the sweetness leap from the glass.  I like it even more.  Highly recommended.

On 11/23/2016 at 10:11 PM, beasled said:

Kilkerran 12 tonight. Lovely stuff.

I haven't seen it yet in Houston..anxiously awaiting!

Having a bit of a malt night here.  I started with a bit of bourbon (Buffalo Trace Experimental 12 year floor 9) to warm the palate up.  I have glasses of Black Bull 30, Compass Box Flaming Heart 2015 opening up.  Just opened the Black Bull tonight, I can't wait.  I've had that bottle on my shelf downstairs for some time.  Hoping for good things.

"Winter" got here today so I poured myself a wee dram of Lagavulin 16.  It goes well with the cool night temperature and the neighbors need to light the fireplace.  :rolleyes:   The Aberlour will be on deck tomorrow night.  ;)

Started on Three Ships 10 year which I like. Reminded me of a Clynelish with a hint of Talisker... So I opened a Talisker 10. Wowsers. Been ages since I had this but it really is rather good.

Dare I say it... I instantly thought of Kilkerran 12 but with the richness and mouth feel of Springbank 12 CS. Yum!

Cheers all. 

Followed some HW Campfire with some Laphroaig 10yr CS.  Guess the smoke-bug bit me this fine Thursday evening :) I really need to do a blind sbs with Laphroaig 18, as I'm not sure which I like better?

Having a nice pour of Flaming Heart 2015 edition. YMMV but this blew away Not a Lux for my tastebuds anyway. Cheaper too. [emoji2]

10 hours ago, whiskeyagonzo said:

Having a nice pour of Flaming Heart 2015 edition. YMMV but this blew away Not a Lux for my tastebuds anyway. Cheaper too. emoji2.png

Interesting comparison. I had both open at the same time an just went back and forth depending on mood. The FH is a peat bomb, ballsy and brash. The Lux is more finesse with brooding layers of flavor. At the end of the bottles, I gave a slight edge to the Lux.

Interesting comparison. I had both open at the same time an just went back and forth depending on mood. The FH is a peat bomb, ballsy and brash. The Lux is more finesse with brooding layers of flavor. At the end of the bottles, I gave a slight edge to the Lux.

Only reason I compared them is because they were released at the same time. I have really been bitten by the peat bug so it's not a surprise I preferred the FH to Not a Lux [emoji2]

Cracked a Laga DE last night. This is easily better than the 2012 I finished last winter. Noticeably better sherry character in the nose, perfectly dry finish, just solid all around.

d0f921ca024a0df4234d9cb99a24c37e.jpg

I'm enjoying some Suntory Toki whisky. I often find this to be a little too light in flavor, but it's tasting really good tonight. Fruity, grainy, delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A terrific 2oz sample pour of Springbank 16 Local  Barley thanks to a generous SBer. Perfectly proofed to yield a full palate bomb and lingering  finish. Thanks J!  (Although I still prefer the 17 sherry! :) ) 

Tried Nikka Straight From The Barrel yesterday.  It was nice enough, but not anything I need to bring back to the states.  Besides that, Australia's liquor prices have kept me from drinking anything besides beer.

A terrific 2oz sample pour of Springbank 16 Local  Barley thanks to a generous SBer. Perfectly proofed to yield a full palate bomb and lingering  finish. Thanks J!  (Although I still prefer the 17 sherry! [emoji4] ) 

Very welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. I know I did. I bunkered 4 deep on that one.

The Irishman Founders Reserve on a chilly and damp evening here, Down South.

Started with an Old Pulteney 1989. Moved onto a Kilkerran 12. About £130 difference in the price between the two and the latter is the clear winner, no question.

So many great pours but for me these were the two standouts. A 1953 Farclas and a 19 year Springbank Rum 02b74804da2b4a795606b303a13fdbe9.jpg9d72a1a28b1c5aece56ec3d7bb46db82.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:37 AM, whiskeyagonzo said:

So many great pours but for me these were the two standouts. A 1953 Farclas and a 19 year Springbank Rum

Seem to have always struggled with rum cask finishes with malts more than just about any other style of finish and I am not sure why that is. Haven't tried this particular Springer though. I suppose I will just have to keep trying until I figure it out!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.