What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

FINALLY finished that damn bottle of Haig Club. I was really happy to see that awkward shaped blue bottle in the recycling bin this morning. The night got noticeably better after that. A lovely Italian red with dinner followed by a late harvest Zinfandel dessert wine that was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, BigRich said:

FINALLY finished that damn bottle of Haig Club. I was really happy to see that awkward shaped blue bottle in the recycling bin this morning. The night got noticeably better after that. A lovely Italian red with dinner followed by a late harvest Zinfandel dessert wine that was fantastic.

Did you put the last few drops of your Eau de HC on your wrists then rub on your neck?  :lol:

Did you put the last few drops of your Eau de HC on your wrists then rub on your neck?  :lol:

No but my daughter told me that it smelled like nail polish...

Just opened one of the bottles of Kilkerran 12 I purchased a week or so ago.  The nose is a bit reticent at first.  Waxy on top, with some clay or stone notes.  Underneath that, strawberries.  After some time, barley shows through.  Honey.  A teeny bit of peat.  Some brine.

Palate is nice lemony barley, stony peat, some wax.  Some hints of tropical fruit.

Finish is a bit brief and mirrors the palate.

Actually this is a little disappointing compared to the WIP 7, but is still good.

15 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Actually this is a little disappointing compared to the WIP 7, but is still good.

Agree with you on that. Could have done with more bourbon cask in the final product.

11 minutes ago, beasled said:

Agree with you on that. Could have done with more bourbon cask in the final product.

Good thing I have at least one WIP 7 left and know where to get more.  Honestly my first impression of Kilkerran 12 is that someone blended young third+ fill sherry Clynelish with old ex ex ex bourbon Springbank.  It definitely improved in the glass, so I'll give it some air and see how things go.  It's a bit of a shock since most Mitchell family products are awesome from start to finish by my palate, but such is life.  

One painful purchase I'm going to have to make this year is a couple Springbank 12 Greens.  Just a cracker of an ex bourbon dram that I don't think will be repeated anytime soon.

43 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Good thing I have at least one WIP 7 left and know where to get more.  Honestly my first impression of Kilkerran 12 is that someone blended young third+ fill sherry Clynelish with old ex ex ex bourbon Springbank.  It definitely improved in the glass, so I'll give it some air and see how things go.  It's a bit of a shock since most Mitchell family products are awesome from start to finish by my palate, but such is life.  

One painful purchase I'm going to have to make this year is a couple Springbank 12 Greens.  Just a cracker of an ex bourbon dram that I don't think will be repeated anytime soon.

I've got a few WIP 7s tucked away too. I didn't dislike the 12 at all, but I did much prefer the bourbon cask. Hopefully they'll be releasing some more cask strength bottlings in future. 

Some things just go perfectly together.  Low 40's temps.  Off and on showers, heavy fog, and thousands of redwing blackbirds in the neighbors yard eating something...So, I'm warm and comfy doing our annual New Years jigsaw puzzle with a Laphroig 10 yr and munching smoked oysters, herring in sour cream, and deviled ham on crackers.  

Edited by smokinjoe

I've been trying to finish some of my bottles that have been open for a year or more. One such bottle is a Signatory bottling of 16yo Glenlivet aged in 1st fill sherry. I had a large, delicious pour last night but wasn't quite able to kill the bottle. One more pour tonight should do it.

Finally finished this bottle. I'm a little sad to see it go, especially since this last pour was incredibly tasty, but it was time.
0cd37b998d27b3a9b11705f55669a12f.jpg

Extending my scotch drinking streak to 2 days with a K&L exclusive Royal Lochnagar 10yo bottled under their Faultline label a couple years ago. Yummy stuff when my tongue can handle some peaty heat

A stiff pour of Talisker Storm to brace myself for the impending doom of STORM WATCH 2017!!!!!!!!! and the cataclysmic near blizzard 1-3" of snow that might pummel us here, Down South.   :D

I haven't had scotch in a while.  Starting the night off with Lag 8 year.  Bought this the other day and I very much like it. 

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

A stiff pour of Talisker Storm to brace myself for the impending doom of STORM WATCH 2017!!!!!!!!! and the cataclysmic near blizzard 1-3" of snow that might pummel us here, Down South.   :D

Sounds like you might have gotten more in Cobb than I got in Dekalb. Mostly freezing rain all night with a smattering of flurries sometime early this AM to make it look kinda ratty overall. But at least we have 24/7 news coverage to show us the zillion bad cell pictures that viewers seem compelled to send in.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Last pour from Longrow Red Port Casks. Mrs. EV making pulled pork. Smells great. Perfect complement to a smoky rich scotch! Shoveled our 2" of snow here so I have earned this!  Wink, wink!

Followed with Uggie and Laphroaig Cairdeas Port. With that savory smoky smell in my nose, what else could I do?  Hoping the second wildcard game is more interesting than the first, cheers!

On 1 January 2017 at 6:04 AM, whiskeyagonzo said:

I will be pouring these fine drams as I bring in the new year. d5eed82dea4da85686d4e4493f69269d.jpg

How did you go with the Springbank 16?  I just took collection of mine - very excited.

On 1 January 2017 at 0:43 PM, garbanzobean said:

Are you referring to the WIP 7 sherry or bourbon?

3 hours ago, Caskstrength said:

Are you referring to the WIP 7 sherry or bourbon?

WIP 7 bourbon.  I have a bottle of the sherry, but haven't opened it yet.  I like Kilkerran 12, I just like the WIP 7 bourbon a lot more so far.

How did you go with the Springbank 16?  I just took collection of mine - very excited.

I love it. This is the 2nd bottle of LB I have opened if that tells you anything.

Still on a mission to finish some open bottles of single malt that have been lingering on my shelf for a little too long. I'm having the final pour of a bottle of IB Glenrothes 8yo and its tasting nice tonight. This had a lot of sulphur when I first opened the bottle but it has faded, slowly, and it is now a nice young sherry bomb with lots of golden raisin notes.

On 11/01/2017 at 4:27 AM, Kpiz said:

Still on a mission to finish some open bottles of single malt that have been lingering on my shelf for a little too long. 

Me too. I've had this bottle for a couple of years now, only a couple of pours left, don't know why I've been ignoring it. It's a cracker.

Screenshot_20170113-204100.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.