What Are You Having For Cocktail Hour? FALL/WINTER 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Brought back some Ale8-1 from the Motherland last week.  So mixing up with Beam Double Oak after several hours of grouting tile.  

image.jpg

First Sazerac of the Fall.  Used Redemption Rye, Absent, Peychaud's and Angostura.  Adjusted the proportions a bit to acount for the barrel proof. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been awhile since I fixed me up a Left Hand.

image.jpg

40 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Been awhile since I fixed me up a Left Hand.

image.jpg

Best one of those I have ever tasted was crafted by our resident cocktail guru, Bruce. Your version looks damn tasty too! 

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:28 AM, BigPapa said:

How do you make a left hand?

Can't speak to any variations Joe might have but the original came from a well known bartender from Milk & Honey in NYC

Left Hand
by Sam Ross

2 oz Bourbon (The original was Elijah Craig 12yo but any decent bourbon should do! Some recipes indicate 1.5 oz but this is a bourbon forward crowd...)
3/4 oz Sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica vermouth was the original choice)
3/4 oz Campari
2 ds Chocolate Bitters (The original was reported to be a one off sweet chocolate bitters from Bittermens. A decent Chocolate/"Xocolatl Mole" bitters like Bitter Truth or Bittermens will probably do and perhaps Angostura in a pinch although that has a different profile)
1 Maraschino cherry (as garnish)

Stir, stain, straight up, cocktail glass, garnish

The "Right Hand" is a similar cocktail from Milk & Honey but uses rum as the base spirit. The Left Hand was a competing drink made by basically just substituting bourbon for rum or so the story goes.

17 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Can't speak to any variations Joe might have but the original came from a well known bartender from Milk & Honey in NYC

Left Hand
by Sam Ross

2 oz Bourbon (The original was Elijah Craig 12yo but any decent bourbon should do! Some recipes indicate 1.5 oz but this is a bourbon forward crowd...)
3/4 oz Sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica vermouth was the original choice)
3/4 oz Campari
2 ds Chocolate Bitters (The original was reported to be a one off sweet chocolate bitters from Bittermens. A decent Chocolate/"Xocolatl Mole" bitters like Bitter Truth or Bittermens will probably do and perhaps Angostura in a pinch although that has a different profile)
1 Maraschino cherry (as garnish)

Stir, stain, straight up, cocktail glass, garnish

The "Right Hand" is a similar cocktail from Milk & Honey but uses rum as the base spirit. The Left Hand was a competing drink made by basically just substituting bourbon for rum or so the story goes.

Sounds awesome, and I have a bottle of Cimpari too. Just need to track down chocolate bitters

6 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Sounds awesome, and I have a bottle of Cimpari too. Just need to track down chocolate bitters

It is quite tasty.  I don't know how much you use Campari in your cocktails and how you like it, but my short experience with this cocktail has me taking the percentage of it down by a about 1/2 of what the recipe calls for.  It can really overpower everything else with its pungency.  In addition, I recommend a "big" bourbon for the same reason.  

Started out with a whiskey sour first, now I have moved on a old fashioned made how James Bond likes them (also how I like them).

Edited by Golzee

(Sort of ) an Apple Brandy Negroni

2oz Laird's BIB

1oz Aperol

1oz Punt e Mes

stir on a big cube and express a lemon twist, enjoy!  

IMG_5671.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently started making Paper Planes, another Sam Ross creation. Kind of a fancy whiskey sour.

Original recipe calls for equal parts (3/4oz measures) of:

Bourbon

Aperol

Amaro Nonino 

Lemon juice

I find I like to use a slightly heavier measure of bourbon than the original recipe calls for. I also suggest using Meyer Lemons if you can find them. I think they balance a little better. I've made this one with WT101 and JTS Brown and they both do just fine in this cocktail. 

Nothing like a heavy-on-the-whiskey cocktail to end the work week and usher in the weekend.  So, it's the venerable Old Crotchety Fashioned for me, now.   Went with a heavy handed ECBP for my whiskey, and it is positively SINGING!  

5 hours ago, Midwest101 said:

I've recently started making Paper Planes, another Sam Ross creation. Kind of a fancy whiskey sour.

Original recipe calls for equal parts (3/4oz measures) of:

Bourbon

Aperol

Amaro Nonino 

Lemon juice

I find I like to use a slightly heavier measure of bourbon than the original recipe calls for. I also suggest using Meyer Lemons if you can find them. I think they balance a little better. I've made this one with WT101 and JTS Brown and they both do just fine in this cocktail. 

If you happen to have some Ramazzotti lying around it makes a nice variation in place of the Nonino. Some replace the Aperol with Campari as well but I like the Aperol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2016 at 5:47 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

If you happen to have some Ramazzotti lying around it makes a nice variation in place of the Nonino. Some replace the Aperol with Campari as well but I like the Aperol.

I prefer Aperol as well. Speaking of...

Finishing off the the weekend with a couple Boulevardiers. JTS Brown, Aperol, and Maurin. I like to add a couple of dashes of orange and Angostura bitters, for a little something extra.

Maple julep with dinner tonight. A regular julep seemed a little too summery so figured the maple would Fall it up a bit. Should have taken a picture...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julep down, moving onto an old fashioned. Trying out new bitters - Mr Lee's Ancient Chinese Secret2bec841c938568a8492ac9725e131286.jpg

41 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Julep down, moving onto an old fashioned. Trying out new bitters - Mr Lee's Ancient Chinese Secret2bec841c938568a8492ac9725e131286.jpg

Calgon?  ;)

Calgon?  [emoji6]

I didn't put that together until you said it. That's hilarious.

Tailspin
1 1/2 oz London Dry Gin
1 oz sweet Vermouth
1 oz Green Chartreuse
1 dash Orange Bitters
Garnish with Lemon twist
Mix in mixing glass, add ice, chill and pour into a chilled coupe that has been rinsed in Campari. Disposed of the small amount of Campari left after rinsing glass.

IMG_4400.jpg

On 11/26/2016 at 9:54 PM, Darwin said:

Having my first ever Old Fashioned.  I made it with FRSB.  Not sure I will make another.

An Old Fashioned at our house is a way to use up fair to middling bourbons or non-malt whiskeys (i.e., scotch) and the "other" half of an orange used in cooking.  The recipe varies, but the basic is two OZ of whiskey, a chunk of orange (big slice or even a thin wedge - whatever is left after trimming off the dried-out, open surface), and simple syrup (we keep Stirrings or Master of Mixes around as my wife uses lots - well, some - in cooking pretty often).  She likes club soda to fill up the glass (a double Old Fashioned glass, of course), with a few more ice cubes than you think you want in there and adds more simple syrup to taste.  Do not forget the maraschino cherry and some cherry juice.  If it doesn't taste right, add some Peychaud's or Regan's bitters.

BUT, tonight, we had a Vialiere (Saveur Mag. Nov. 2014).  Equal parts bourbon, Cynar (the artichoke liqueur which some people can't figure out how to use), and sweet vermouth.  Garnish with orange.  Serve in an OF glass with ice.  I tried it with rye, but the grainy spice of rye and the veggie overtone of Cynar makes it too herbal for us.  OGD 114 worked ok  for us, but basic BT or EWB or EW BIB result in a sweeter drink if your drinkers are not into spicy or herbal cocktails.  In other words, if you like them sweet, skip the high ryes like OGD

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.