What Are You Having For Cocktail Hour? FALL/WINTER 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/4/2016 at 4:17 PM, smokinjoe said:

Nothing like a heavy-on-the-whiskey cocktail to end the work week and usher in the weekend.  So, it's the venerable Old Crotchety Fashioned for me, now.   Went with a heavy handed ECBP for my whiskey, and it is positively SINGING!  

Is the "old crotchety fashioned" just a barrel proof expression?  I'm guessing it refers to Chuck Cowdery somehow, but, I haven't been around long enough to learn everything.

12 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Cynar (the artichoke liqueur which some people can't figure out how to use) 

Say whaaaaat????

B)

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Say whaaaaat????

B)

I agree and admit I was teasing - I've found it pretty versatile.  But, more than once, perfect strangers seeing me pick up a bottle have asked me what I use it in "other than a Negroni" like the neck tag said.

21 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

An Old Fashioned at our house is a way to use up fair to middling bourbons or non-malt whiskeys (i.e., scotch) and the "other" half of an orange used in cooking.  The recipe varies, but the basic is two OZ of whiskey, a chunk of orange (big slice or even a thin wedge - whatever is left after trimming off the dried-out, open surface), and simple syrup (we keep Stirrings or Master of Mixes around as my wife uses lots -......

I measured everything to make sure it was correctly made.  The drink is just not to my taste.  I have a rule that I try to follow.  If I won't drink it neat, then it doesn't belong in my house.  Anyone want a nearly full bottle of CR NHR?  I don't say that to be arrogant, I just have lots of expressions that I enjoy or want to try (bourbon & single malt).  I do really enjoy a whiskey sour, and I keep WT101 on hand for that or as a regular sipper.   This reminds me that my lemons are starting to ripen.  ;)

There are a few more cocktails that I want to try.  I will research them here first.

2 hours ago, Darwin said:

I measured everything to make sure it was correctly made.  The drink is just not to my taste.  I have a rule that I try to follow.  If I won't drink it neat, then it doesn't belong in my house.  Anyone want a nearly full bottle of CR NHR?  I don't say that to be arrogant, I just have lots of expressions that I enjoy or want to try (bourbon & single malt).  I do really enjoy a whiskey sour, and I keep WT101 on hand for that or as a regular sipper.   This reminds me that my lemons are starting to ripen.  ;)

There are a few more cocktails that I want to try.  I will research them here first.

Oh.  Crown Royal in an Old Fashioned.  When I wrote "fair to middling", I meant bourbons (and similar domestic whiskeys) that I don't keep in my regular neat rotation BUT that I still consider potable.  CR in its several iterations has never made it past a second 2 ounce pour, spread over two days (one pour a day)  in my house, and I have several almost full dusty CRs to prove it.  I've tried to like CR, but . . .  In other words, I know of what you tasted and can only say, "I taste your pain.  Try it with a bourbon you like - essentially, it is bourbon and sugar and ice and maybe a little citrus and optionally club soda."  And, if you STILL aren't happy, well, then, you now know NOT to order one in a bar.

Finally (betcher glad to see that word),  I have used WT101 in OFs but usually muddle the orange with a maraschino cherry and even use Regan's bitters plus a demerara sugar cube THEN add ice and some soda.

The Old Fashioned I made was with FRSB which I really like.  All the other stuff messed up the FR bourbon.  I purchased the CRNH Rye because of the Jim Murray listed it as the best whiskey in the world.  :rolleyes:  It's not very good at all!  His credibility is zero with me.  I may give the OF another try with the WT101, thanks for the tips Harry!  The Manhattan might be next on the to do list, but no rush.  ;)

Some great Negroni's tonight.  I can't believe this cocktail tastes this good given it's individual components.  The pure definition of synergy IMHO.

IMG_4411.jpg

Another Negroni variation

The RC St. Germain

1 1/2 oz Rye

.75 oz Campari

.75 oz St. Germain

Stir with ice and pour into chilled glass and garnish with orange zest

IMG_4426.jpg

On November 28, 2016 at 0:36 AM, Golzee said:

Is the "old crotchety fashioned" just a barrel proof expression?  I'm guessing it refers to Chuck Cowdery somehow, but, I haven't been around long enough to learn everything.

Yessir, it does refer to Chuck.  He needed a name, so I gave it one! :lol:

See his post here:

Veteran Member
10,988 posts
Posted October 22, 2013 (edited) · 
It needs a better name, but that's basically what this is, an Old Fashioned just not made in the traditional way.
My main objection to most whiskey cocktails is that the whiskey disappears. I don't want that to happen. So here's what I do.
Into an old-fashioned glass (a large on-the-rocks glass), I give the Angostura bottle a Gary Reagan shake (meaning 8 or 9 shakes). Then I add a small pour of Cointreau -- enough to just cover the bottom of the glass, and the same amount of simple syrup. To that I add about three fingers of Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Then I stir it with one or two ice cubes, and maybe add another one to just about fill the glass. Spicy and fruity with whiskey in every bite. That's it, no fruit salad garnish. I like it.
Edited October 22, 2013 by cowdery

21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Yessir, it does refer to Chuck.  He needed a name, so I gave it one! :lol:

See his post here:

Veteran Member
10,988 posts
Posted October 22, 2013 (edited) · 
It needs a better name, but that's basically what this is, an Old Fashioned just not made in the traditional way.
My main objection to most whiskey cocktails is that the whiskey disappears. I don't want that to happen. So here's what I do.
Into an old-fashioned glass (a large on-the-rocks glass), I give the Angostura bottle a Gary Reagan shake (meaning 8 or 9 shakes). Then I add a small pour of Cointreau -- enough to just cover the bottom of the glass, and the same amount of simple syrup. To that I add about three fingers of Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Then I stir it with one or two ice cubes, and maybe add another one to just about fill the glass. Spicy and fruity with whiskey in every bite. That's it, no fruit salad garnish. I like it.
Edited October 22, 2013 by cowdery

Sounds interesting, I don't have any Cointreau on hand, but, I do have Grand Marnier.  So I will have to try a variation this weekend.

Guys I found some beautiful Meyers Lemons today.  Anyone got a good cocktail recipe (preferably bourbon) that I can use these in?

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 4:50 PM, Tennessee Dave said:

Guys I found some beautiful Meyers Lemons today.  Anyone got a good cocktail recipe (preferably bourbon) that I can use these in?

I have always been rather partial to this drink which was created some time ago by a local bar. Although it is more of a sweeter summer style drink. 

If you made your own Limoncello with the Myers lemons (not something I have ever tried but not an uncommon thing for "crafty" people to do).

My Favorite Mechanic is a Woman

1 bourbon

1 limoncello

1 lemon juice

1 Canton ginger

1 egg white

Dry shake then shake with ice

Strain and pour into Collins glass over fresh ice

Cherry garnish

If you want to be all crafty and make limoncello yourself there are many recipes on the etherweb. Here is one:

Making Limoncello

Take the peels of one dozen lemons + 1 lime (that's the secret!) either removed with a vegetable peeler, or microplaned off. I think the infusion goes much faster with the microplaned little shreds of peel as there's more surface area exposed to the alcohol.

Place the peels into an airtight container (I use a large screwtopped jar) and cover with one bottle of 100 proof vodka (I use 100 proof Smirnoff). The higher alcohol level seems to get better extraction from the peels. Place the jar in a safe place (on top of my refrigerator works for me!) for at least two weeks, giving it an occasional shake and sniff to check on it. You'll be able to see the vodka turning bright yellow as it pulls the flavorful oils from the peels. When the peels no longer look colorful and the vodka doesn't seem to be gaining any more visible color or scent, it's done. Filter through a coffee filter or cheesecloth into a large bottle or jar and press down to remove all the vodka and oils that you can from the peels. Add a 1:1 simple syrup (I usually start with 2 cups water to two cups sugar, boiled lightly until completely dissolved and syrupy and cooled off) and then thin further with approximately another 750 ml bottle of your favorite regular vodka. If it needs to be cut down or sweetened further, just use filtered or bottled water and more simple syrup. It's really a matter of taste as to how sweet and/or strong you like it.

You could, if you wanted to, use Everclear grain alcohol for the extraction, however, I find that it makes for a much harsher tasting end result. I find that the 100 proof vodka and then flavoring/thinning to taste with simple syrup, more regular decent neutral vodka and a little filtered or bottled water seems to get the best and most palatable results.

You can see why I don't do this myself. I take the easy route and just use Pallini brand!

• 3 weeks later...

Waiting for Little and Mrssmokinjoe to come down for brunch and gift exchange, and thought the time was right for a Negroni.  The color sure works for the season!!  :)  Interestingly, I find that anything more than a light hand of Campari plays havoc with even the most stout whiskies in my Boulevardiers, but more is better in my Negronis.  Hmmmmm.  

image.jpg

I am the same way with the Campari in a Negroni.  I have also found that what Sweet Vermouth you use makes a big difference as well.  I ran out of Carpano Antica and the only thing I could find was Rossi.  Not nearly as good in this drink as the Carpano.  I must admit though that after having a few over several days with the Rossi I adjusted and now they taste fine but it was a major taste difference at first.  Maybe the trick is to always make the drink with the same Vermouth as changing certainly will change the flavor.  Great choice for Christmas Day.

IMG_4640.jpg

Christmas evening Manhattan prior to Christmas dinner, all while watching the beginning of the Steelers and Ravens.

2/.75/.75 + bitters.  EC(NAS), Carpano Antiqua Vermouth, Lazzaroni Maraschino Liquer witha few dashes of Fee Brothers Cherry Bitters.

A bit to sweet, will try 2.5/.5/.5 + bitters with the next one.  Also kicked the bottle of EC(NAS), so the next one will use either BT or a newly opened HM10BIB.

Inspired by several posts in this section of the forum, I ran out today and grabbed some Fever Tree Ginger Ale.  Mixed in a goodly measure of Four Roses Yellow Label -- man, you cannot beat this!

• 3 weeks later...

Revolvers today with Old Bardtown bottled in bond.  Trying to use this up but it's quite tasty in this drink.

IMG_4715.jpg  IMG_4716.jpg

After a full day of chores around Casa La Smokinjoe, I decided it's relaxation time with a cocktail.  Felt like an old fashioned, but wanted some peat.  So, went heavy on the Laphroig, and polished it up with some Wild Turkey and a gargantuan hit of Angostura.  The muddled orange is playing nice with the peat and bourbon.  Dang nice if I do say so, myself.

image.jpg

Found a new one at Gibsons

had it in my new coupe champagne glass from Czechoslovakia 

The Scofflaw

2 oz rye

1 oz dry vermouth

1/4 oz fresh lemon juice

1/2 oz grenadine

2 dashes orange bitters

b8c26d62-fb0b-4481-8a07-d240eb84be34_zps

Edited by bigtoys

On 1/15/2017 at 5:25 PM, Tennessee Dave said:

Revolvers today with Old Bardtown bottled in bond.  Trying to use this up but it's quite tasty in this drink.

IMG_4715.jpg  IMG_4716.jpg

Helluva view you got yourself there. Whiskey sours for me tonight!

Edited by Midwest101

22 hours ago, Midwest101 said:

Helluva view you got yourself there. Whiskey sours for me tonight!

Thanks brother.  We enjoy it here.  My wife named the place Happily EverAfter.

• 1 month later...

2 to 1 Rye to Vermouth with Russell's Reserve, Dolin Sweet Vermouth, Angostura bitters, and home-made Marischino cherries. I find I prefer the vermouth to come through in my Manhattans, but the Russell's is also doing great things here.  Holding it all up as it were.  Sweet as the Russell's is, it stands up, even in this relatively sweet mix. 

FullSizeRender 29.jpg

It's suddenly in the 90's down here. :(    

I think it's time for a nice Margaritas or Bourbon Sour, made with tree ripened fruit of course.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.