Michters barrel proof

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Purely anecdotal, but I don't think I've read or heard a bad thing about this run of Michter's Barrel Strength rye.  I've had it in my hands several times but haven't pulled the trigger at $70.  I spent a little more and picked up the 8 year Redemption BP rye.  Age statement for the win in my case, but again, I am sure I would be happy with the Michter's.

I'm on my second bottle and think it is excellent.  Also different enough from other rye that I've had to make it interesting and worth a try.

I like it quite a bit. I have three bottles of it that I found online for $70 each. (I tasted it at Whiskey Live in Lousiville back in June so I knew I really liked it). It sells for $100 locally which is too much, but I'll buy it at $70. I should note that I'm a Michter's hater, but I make an exception for this one.

• 1 month later...

Michter's Barrel Proof Rye is $57.99 OTD around here - might have to try it now.    ;)

Edited by GeeTen

On 10/31/2016 at 9:11 AM, GeeTen said:

Michter's Barrel Proof Rye is $57.99 OTD around here - might have to try it now.    ;)

Definitely pull the trigger at that price.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

I've seen great reviews here and otherwise, but what is this stuff? I can't figure it out, so I've haven't picked it up even though it's on the shelves around here for not a ton. 

Is more like Alberta (WP and the like) or EHTR or OSSA BPSB? or more like Pikesville & WT101?

28 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

I've seen great reviews here and otherwise, but what is this stuff? I can't figure it out, so I've haven't picked it up even though it's on the shelves around here for not a ton. 

Is more like Alberta (WP and the like) or EHTR or OSSA BPSB? or more like Pikesville & WT101?

It's Kentucky rye not Canadian rye.  So more like Pikesville than WP.  
I don't think anyone knows the source.

19 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^^^^^^^

Speculation is Brown-Forman...

I guess that makes a lot of sense since not too long ago they came out with WR rye.

20 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^^^^^^^

Speculation is Brown-Forman...

1 hour ago, meadeweber said:

I guess that makes a lot of sense since not too long ago they came out with WR rye.

B-F is the speculation for a lot of Michter's products at present. They claim to "contract distill" from B-F although I am skeptical that it is anything but standard B-F mashbill with perhaps barrels picked for a certain profile (B-F has clearly demonstrated you can create fairly unique profiles from the same mashbill just by barrel selection as shown by the Whiskey Row series). It does make sense that it would be the same mashbill as the WR rye but even if you cut the proof down to WR level the Michter's BP rye seems better to me. Which I find annoying because Michter's for the most part is on my do not buy list for a variety of reasons.   

Edited by tanstaafl2

30 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

B-F is the speculation for a lot of Michter's products at present. They claim to "contract distill" from B-F althouch I am skeptical that it is anything but standard B-F mashbill with perhaps barrels picked for a certain profile (B-F has clearly demonstrated you can create fairly unique profiles from the same mashbill just by barrel selection as shown by the Whiskey Row series). It does make sense that it would be the same mashbill as the WR rye but even if you cut the proof down to WR level the Michter's BP rye seems better to me. Which I find annoying because Michter's for the most part is on my do not buy list for a variety of reasons.   

"Contract distill" could mean anything when it comes from the mouth of Michter's.  It could just mean they receive an invoice from B-F (or whomever) for the barrels they purchased.

Oh, and of course Michter's is distilling now since maybe 2014(?). No idea when it will be ready to bottle or if that will provide enough to even meet current requirements (although it is apparently a decent sized column still). I would guess it won't be anytime soon!

On November 2, 2016 at 0:44 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

B-F is the speculation for a lot of Michter's products at present. They claim to "contract distill" from B-F although I am skeptical that it is anything but standard B-F mashbill with perhaps barrels picked for a certain profile (B-F has clearly demonstrated you can create fairly unique profiles from the same mashbill just by barrel selection as shown by the Whiskey Row series). It does make sense that it would be the same mashbill as the WR rye but even if you cut the proof down to WR level the Michter's BP rye seems better to me. Which I find annoying because Michter's for the most part is on my do not buy list for a variety of reasons.   

I can confirm this now. 

Michters was (but is no longer) contract distilling at B-F using their own grains and yeast. This is straight from the top and we were told this during a barrel pick at OF today. (I asked of course). I also spied a Michters branded barrel aging right there in the OF rickhouses. 

We were also told that B-F is no longer doing any contract distilling of any kind. 

On 11/2/2016 at 1:22 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Oh, and of course Michter's is distilling now since maybe 2014(?). No idea when it will be ready to bottle or if that will provide enough to even meet current requirements (although it is apparently a decent sized column still). I would guess it won't be anytime soon!

Bruce we were in the belly of the beast last August and they had done test runs and were "days away" from full operations. So it was late August or early September of 2015 before they started producing their own. And they do have a monster column still and pot still doubler from Vendome. And a real Master Distiller now in Pam Heilmann. 

42 minutes ago, flahute said:

I can confirm this now. 

Michters was (but is no longer) contract distilling at B-F using their own grains and yeast. This is straight from the top and we were told this during a barrel pick at OF today. (I asked of course). I also spied a Michters branded barrel aging right there in the OF rickhouses. 

We were also told that B-F is no longer doing any contract distilling of any kind. 

So you saw this?

IMG_3399.JPG

Well, it is good we at least have some confirmation about what Michter's is doing now! Not sure we will ever know quite what all they were doing before.

20 hours ago, flahute said:

Hmm, it would certainly make sense that they want to maximize their production at present. But it sure seems like we have heard this before from B-F as well as others! Gonna have to put that one in the "possible but not certain" file... :huh:

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Well, it is good we at least have some confirmation about what Michter's is doing now! Not sure we will ever know quite what all they were doing before.

Hmm, it would certainly make sense that they want to maximize their production at present. But it sure seems like we have heard this before from B-F as well as others! Gonna have to put that one in the "possible but not certain" file... :huh:

Quite true. I was surprised though how forthcoming they were about their contract with Michters. 

On 11/3/2016 at 8:39 PM, flahute said:

So, I had better stock up on the Mellow Corn BIB:D

• 2 weeks later...

I am still really enjoying the Michter's BP rye.  Just had another pour the other night.  It's definitely a nice change of pace from the MGP ryes.  I frankly get more bourbony sweetness, caramel and vanilla with the Michter's BP rye (but still with a rye backbone), than the big bold spice from some other ryes.  I have plenty of the spicy, minty, dilly ryes, so this is nice to have around.  And not crazily priced at $70. 

Edited by jeffrey r

• 2 months later...

I keep passing on this for $80. I've had it in my hand a few times but haven't pulled the trigger. It gets good reviews around here and it would be nice to have a barrel proofer on hand that wasn't MGP. What do people think, is this one worth $80?

6 hours ago, Spade said:

I keep passing on this for $80. I've had it in my hand a few times but haven't pulled the trigger. It gets good reviews around here and it would be nice to have a barrel proofer on hand that wasn't MGP. What do people think, is this one worth $80?

$70 is my limit on it and it's out there for that price online.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.