What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was saying goodbye to a favorite and welcoming in a first timer so decided to do a SBS. P110 was definitely sweeter on the nose while also being more full of aroma. RRSiB was hotter for a brief flash even at the lower proof point but the heat turned into nice rye spice quickly. P110 was a longer, smoother whiskey while the RR was more like a nice punch in the mouth. Two very different ryes and both very enjoyable in their own way. I'll be keeping both labels on my shelf going forward. 

image.jpeg

I followed the WTRR with a 2 oz. pour of KC.  I noticed the profile shift right away, with the KC being a little brasher and bolder.  Once I was about 1/2 way in, it became apparent that the KC was the clear winner with a much more pronounced and lingering finish. 

Willett 2yo 109.4 proof. This bottle seems to get better the longer it's open. I just need to remember to save a little so I can compare it to the 3yo when I finally open that!

Michter's Barrel Strength last night.  I continue to be impressed with this one.  

I had also done a vatting of this with SAOS rye a while ago, approximately 2:1, Michter's to SAOS.  I had a small pour of that following the straight Michter's.  In the vatting, the Michter's calms the dill flavor in the SAOS although it still comes through.  The Michter's also adds more flavor and sweetness.  The dill flavor in the straight SAOS is too much for me unless I'm really in the mood for it but in the vatting it is calmed to an enjoyable level.

Thanks for starting a new thread. I still have some Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Straight Rye BIB (2015).

Yesterday I picked up my first bottle of George Dickel Rye. For an MGP 95 Rye, to me it was not as good as the James Pepper (which seemed to have a touch more sweetness to it), but it was about $11 cheaper. Maybe that extra filtering removes some of the sweeter flavors. It's been so long since I've had the Bulleit, I can't make a comparison there. Rittenhouse BIB and Sazerac remain my favorite ryes for now.

After a heavy dosage of beer and bourbon yesterday, I've recovered with rye this evening.  Started off with KC, and I'm going to wrap the weekend up with a nightcap of baby Saz.

Haven't had a rye in some time. With some cooler weather settling in I figured I'd kick off the first rye of autumn with some HWMWND. Stellar.

Then had some salted caramel brownie and ice cream for dessert so I switched back to bourbon. ORVW10 yr seemed appropriate. 

1 hour ago, rcornel said:

@flahute--Is at Act 4 of MWND out now or are you enjoying some previous Acts?

It's an older one, not sure which act, but I've had this bottle for a couple years. 

Let's see, I'm on my 4th bottle of Michters Barrel Strength Rye, and my Willett 3 yr is almost done.  My next purchase will be Rittenhouse, as many praise it.  

Had a couple of ryes the last couple of evenings.  Cracked open a Redemption 8 Year the other night, which was very nice.  Has a nice richness due to the 8 years on it and the cask strength.  I think some airtime will do it well, and one of these days I'll do a SBS with some of my other MGP favorites, SAOS CS Rye, and the old Willett 4 Year 110 proofers.

Last night, felt in the mood for HWMWND, so had a nice pour of that.  Always delicious.  One of the earlier Acts (fortunately I checked the bunker, and saw I have two bottles in reserve, 2.6 and 3.2 I believe).

My former company hosts an annual happy hour for "alumni" and it is open bar. Had a few pours of Anchor Old Potrero Straight Rye and it was very good, better than I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HI

you can see im the new guy.!!...just put this on the "what rye did you purchase today Spring/Summer"...ill get the hang of it I promise...and decided it will be a Rittenhouse Straight Rye tonight...Hey not gonna pop up at auction but its aggressive and for the money does Sweet + Spice brilliantly and almost a bit of musty wine (in a good way!)...

Hi all glad to meet you... Just joined up today...haven't bought anything today yet but there is still time!...if i found a big pile of dollars down the back of the couch i'd be on the hunt for a bottle of The Bitter Truth 24YO...Its 13,000 Dollars at Flask!...anyone seen it any cheaper anywhere? I heard a rumour off a buddy in london that there is some there?...just need that lottery ticket to come in !! 

On 10/2/2016 at 10:50 PM, Paddy said:

After a heavy dosage of beer and bourbon yesterday, I've recovered with rye this evening.  Started off with KC, and I'm going to wrap the weekend up with a nightcap of baby Saz.

Paddy, I don't drink ryes neat often.  Usually, I put them in cocktails, LOTS of cocktails.  The few exceptions, I guess, are the "BARELY" ryes - those with mash bills a round 51-55% rye, 5% barley for fermenting, and the balance corn (think Pikesville, Ritt, etc.).  Color me foolish (which, I also guess is some shade of yellowish-green), but I've never really thought about this until now - fifty years of drinking shot to hell in one clarifying moment.:o  SEEKING ADVICE HERE ON THE RYE THREAD -- how come you all "like" drinking it neat?

Edited by Harry in WashDC
to add context, I inserted "LOTS"

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Paddy, I don't drink ryes neat often.  Usually, I put them in cocktails, LOTS of cocktails.  The few exceptions, I guess, are the "BARELY" ryes - those with mash bills a round 51-55% rye, 5% barley for fermenting, and the balance corn (think Pikesville, Ritt, etc.).  Color me foolish (which, I also guess is some shade of yellowish-green), but I've never really thought about this until now - fifty years of drinking shot to hell in one clarifying moment.:o  SEEKING ADVICE HERE ON THE RYE THREAD -- how come you all "like" drinking it neat?

Well (in my best Ronald Reagan impersonation)... Harry, I'd recommend you slip a rye of choice into the trash bin beside your chair and start drinking it neat (or with your melted cube)!  Let me know when you're a week (or two) into the experiment, and we'll discuss this further.  What I will say for now is, what's not to like?!?;) 

Gingerbread, anyone?  :lol:

Edited by Paddy

17 hours ago, Paddy said:

Well (in my best Ronald Reagan impersonation)... Harry, I'd recommend you slip a rye of choice into the trash bin beside your chair and start drinking it neat (or with your melted cube)!  Let me know when you're a week (or two) into the experiment, and we'll discuss this further.  What I will say for now is, what's not to like?!?;) 

Gingerbread, anyone?  :lol:

I will start later tonight.  Just refilled my orange capped OGD BIB bottle so I can start "something" else.  There's room in that trash can for (at least) two bottles now that I've recycled the fake cork, black cap OGD BIB empty.  Watch this space.  ASIDE:  Got to get out the ladder in order to see what ryes I have stashed on the upper shelves of the laundry room.

^^^Well... after a pretty good cigar, I'm sipping on a 1 oz pour of WTRR.  

Sensory overload, anyone?

Usually keep one Rye open since Bourbon is my go to. Lately I've been enjoying Rye more & more.

Decided to open both these up since they are close in age, proof, & brand.

The Boss Hog is 122.2 @ 13 years. Bought 2 for $130 in late 2015, because the store had them for a while.

The Private Barrel is 119 @ 10 years. Bought 7 for $68 in 2015. Not to bad IMO.

I'm not much on notes. Just know what taste good to me. The Boss Hog is more balanced, but the Private Barrel has more flavor to me. If I had to buy more it would be the Private Barrel, because it was cheaper and just as good in a different way. WP may not have the best reputation, but they really do put out awesome whiskey.

image.jpeg

Edited by Louisiana

1 hour ago, Prof_Stack said:

I'm slow sippin' a shot, neat, of WT101 Rye.  It's just what my sore throat needs! :)  

Too much sickness going around this town already and it's only early October.

While watching baseball and football and HBO the past couple of days, I finished off the dregs of a JB Rye (green label 90 proof) neat, made a few Manhattans with Bulleit Rye to have with a charcoal grilled tri-tip then had some BR neat for dessert, and opened a McKenzie Rye (AKA Finger Lakes Distilling) bottled in 2014.  On tap the next couple days, in keeping with my decision to drink rye neat for awhile instead of only in cocktails which has been my practice, are Saz Jr., Whistle Pig I got for Christmas three years ago, WT 101 Rye, and a basic KC Rye I found behind some ER 10YR (on the neck band no less) I had stashed last year.

^^^^You go, Harry!

I'm currently sipping on a 2 finger, 50/50 Rittlepig blend, while rooting for the Red Sox to extend this series a bit. 

Today, while Nats play Dodgers in LA, I'm sipping on KC Rye.  I had some last night and decided to have some more today.  Saw some on sale today and passed (wife was with me, and I already had several bottles of other things).  I likely will go back this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.