What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Watching the Cubbies/Giants with a couple fingers of WP.  Looks like the Nat's weren't the only team extending their series today, and I sure don't like having to face Cueto again.  Wonder what the over/under is on beating him two in a row in the same series?

Keeping with my quest to figure out whether I like drinking ryes neat instead of only in cocktails which has been my practice, tonight was a short Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye at a restaurant with dinner and a regular sized (2 oz.) Corsair Ryemageddon at home.

12 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Keeping with my quest to figure out whether I like drinking ryes neat instead of only in cocktails which has been my practice, tonight was a short Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye at a restaurant with dinner and a regular sized (2 oz.) Corsair Ryemageddon at home.

So, what did you think?

My recollection is that unless you like your whiskey "rough and ready" those are both likely to test your appreciation for rye neat! You can make them work in a cocktail but for me at least they are both pretty challenging neat!

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So, what did you think?

My recollection is that unless you like your whiskey "rough and ready" those are both likely to test your appreciation for rye neat! You can make them work in a cocktail but for me at least they are both pretty challenging neat!

The Roundstone Rye was exceptionally grassy or grainy.  When Catoctin first released it several years ago, I bought a bottle (long gone) which, after a few sips, was used exclusively in cocktails, and even then, I reduced its "participation" as it really overwhelmed whatever else went into the drink.  Elderflower and Maraschino liqueur in larger than expected amounts did balance it, but I was never successful in making a Manhattan with it that I liked.  All that said, however, it is unique - no mint bomb, no "barely rye" disappointment.  Oh, and it worked well in Boulevardier-style drinks when sweet Amari were used instead of sweet vermouth, but watch the Campari amount - it was easy to make the whole thing too herbal, making me think I was drinking Underberg on ice.

The Ryemageddon is another puzzlement.  I've had this bottle for several years.  It says it is made from malted rye and chocolate rye. The malted overtones are there (I mean, THERE!) and are reminiscent of the Classic Malt experiment Woodford Reserve put out a few years ago (which neither I nor my scotch drinking brother-in-law could put a dent in no matter how hard we tried).  Unlike the WR, though, this one (I guess from the chocolate rye) adds several layers of flavors which can be teased out.  And, at 92 proof, there's no alcohol bloom to contend with.  IN SUM, when I am in a blended scotch mood, I could substitute this.  But since I'm not really a scotch drinker, that won't happen often.  Rob Roys with Ryemageddon, anyone?

So far on this unscientific rye journey, the KC Rye is the easiest to drink neat with Pikesville right behind it.  But, I'm not done yet.  And, I'm getting to like drinking ryes neat.  Who'd a thought?

Sounds about right for the Catoctin to me. I will have to give the Ryemageddon another try based on your notes! It has been awhile.

Started with a small sample of a 25yr WFER, followed by a 5yr WFER.  I kept hoping I would come around on the 25 yr, and while it has opened up a bit - still just too oaky for my taste.  Ending with some WTR101 - delicious stuff!

Yippie Kai Yay!!! Tonight. Almost done with this. I really like HW but for me this was a miss. I will be glad when this bottle is gone.

10 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Yippie Kai Yay!!! Tonight. Almost done with this. I really like HW but for me this was a miss. I will be glad when this bottle is gone.

Passed on a YKY yesterday.  I'd already paid and saw it on the way out.  THX, Rich.  I sort of thought of going back, but your post reminded me I tasted this months ago at WhiskyFest WDC.  "Different" is all my notes said.

I'm having some Angels Envy Rye in a cocktail. Had to figure out some way to power through this bottle. Im not really a fan of this stuff

I'm having some Angels Envy Rye in a cocktail. Had to figure out some way to power through this bottle. Im not really a fan of this stuff

Don't fret it. It's not a power through bottle. Best enjoyed infrequently. Always think of it as a colder weather pour.

Glass of it Christmas Eve/day is awesome. The sweet and baking spice hit of it just screams holiday.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, BFerguson said:

Don't fret it. It's not a power through bottle. Best enjoyed infrequently. Always think of it as a colder weather pour.

Glass of it Christmas Eve/day is awesome. The sweet and baking spice hit of it just screams holiday.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it has a little novelty once in a while, but I've been trying to reduce my open bottles, and this one has been open for a couple years now, and without intervention it will take a few more years

Enjoyed some THH and HW21 last night at a spectacular gathering.  My head still hurts a bit, but well worth it!

Slow sipping a 60g shot of WT101 Rye.  Soothes the scratchy throat it does.  Tastes nice, too.

Drinking a nightcap of High West Yippee Ki-Yay.  This has really improved with air time.  The young notes I was getting when the bottle was first opened have receded, though so has the vermouth/wine finishing to some degree.  What I'm left with tastes like a very well behaved high proof Manhattan, which is certainly not an insult to the product.  I still prefer HWMWND, but the gap has closed considerably.

23 hours ago, GaryT said:

Had a couple small samples of WFERs (5 yr and 25 yr).  Honestly would rather drink the 5 yr :/

My brother-in-law had a bottle of the 25 yr a couple years ago and I could never get past the sawdust notes.

Sipping on some Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye barrel select by the KBA. Sometimes I get in a mood and the Turkey ryes hit the spot like no other.

Had a pour of MWND with a buddy along with dessert. Always good. Now making cocktails, currently with Bulleit rye 

Had some Willett 3 yr. I thought the minty notes were fantastic. A great improvement on the 2 year.

I sat down with 3 oz of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye this afternoon. It seemed an appropriate drink while listening to the Oscar Peterson Trio.

Two fingers from a freshly cracked bottle of WT101.  Hitting on all cylinders!  Oooooh, how I've missed thee...

RRSiB with some raspberry jelly thumbprint cookies my wife made. Love the zing of the rye with the sweet of the cookie. Lot of sizzle on the lips from the 104 proofer. 

Edited by Charlutz

I followed the 101 with some RR (just to keep it in the family).  While I really enjoy the RR (more subtle licorice and barnyard must), the ramped up intensity of the 101 is right in my wheelhouse. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.