What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I purchased a bottle of WR Rye for the first time today. I'm a big fan of Michter's Barrel Proof Rye and I know that B-F is the source for Michter's so I speculated that WR Rye might bear a family resemblance. I was right. I don't recall the WR Rye getting very many favorable comments here. Either the price or the barely legal recipe seems to be an impediment. I'm sure there were other reasons I don't remember.

While it's only been one pour, I will say that I'm liking this one so far. Jury is out until a few more pours are in the books.

Edit to add: following with RR Rye and then RRSiB Rye. The latter is exceptional.

Edited by flahute

On October 26, 2016 at 11:13 PM, flahute said:

I purchased a bottle of WR Rye for the first time today. I'm a big fan of Michter's Barrel Proof Rye and I know that B-F is the source for Michter's so I speculated that WR Rye might bear a family resemblance. I was right. I don't recall the WR Rye getting very many favorable comments here. Either the price or the barely legal recipe seems to be an impediment. I'm sure there were other reasons I don't remember.

While it's only been one pour, I will say that I'm liking this one so far. Jury is out until a few more pours are in the books.

Edit to add: following with RR Rye and then RRSiB Rye. The latter is exceptional.

Out of curiosity, do you have any of the Rittenhouse that B-F distilled around to try side by side with this? I had basically assumed that the reason B-F created this brand extension when they did was because the timing pretty much lined up with when they stopped supplying HH with rye juice to be used for Rittenhouse, hence they were used to producing rye regularly but I don't think they were bottling any rye of their own up until this WRR. That said, I don't think I've seen anything that would confirm if this is the same mashbill as the Ritt juice they were making. 

I I think many of us liked the B-F Ritt better than the new HH Ritt, so maybe we need to just pay more to get that product back in a prettier bottle? A SBS I've been meaning to do......

42 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Out of curiosity, do you have any of the Rittenhouse that B-F distilled around to try side by side with this? I had basically assumed that the reason B-F created this brand extension when they did was because the timing pretty much lined up with when they stopped supplying HH with rye juice to be used for Rittenhouse, hence they were used to producing rye regularly but I don't think they were bottling any rye of their own up until this WRR. That said, I don't think I've seen anything that would confirm if this is the same mashbill as the Ritt juice they were making. 

I I think many of us liked the B-F Ritt better than the new HH Ritt, so maybe we need to just pay more to get that product back in a prettier bottle? A SBS I've been meaning to do......

Been there, done that. 

Woodford rye has become primarily a mixer for me or something for guests who thing Woodford is all that and a bag of chips! Michter's Barrel Proof on the other hand was pretty good. No idea if it is the same mashbill or if Michter's does indeed use their own mashbill as they claim (seems unlikely but who knows?). Too bad that I don't usually buy Michter's... B)

My recollection at the time was that the Woodford Rye was a slightly different mashbill from Rittenhouse (Ritt is presumed to be a barely rye 51% mashbill). Something like 53% rye seems to stick in my mind for the Woodford. Perhaps they were required by contract to be a little different when HH resumed production of Ritt. Of course I think this may go back to the HH fire in Bardstown so B-F was perhaps really helping them out, at least initially. Not sure quite why it took HH so long to resume making Ritt.

I was not one that thought DSP 354 was necessarily better. The HH version was a bit different perhaps but equally good in its own right in my opinion.

A couple of fingers of Willett Family Estate 3yr tonite - their own juice!  Yum . . . can't wait for the 4yr to hit the shelves.  Mighty good stuff.   :D

Edited by GeeTen

On 10/28/2016 at 0:19 PM, BottledInBond said:

I don't have any on hand for a SBS, but I'm familiar enough with it to know that they are not alike. The WR Rye has that Woodford soft round sweetness to it whereas that Ritt is a very different animal to my palate.

Whereas we know for sure that BF is the source for Michter's, we don't know if it's contract distilling or bulk purchases. My guess is contract distilling, but the barrel proof rye has some similarities to Woodford rye. That said, My second pour of the WR Rye was not as favorable as the first. Some of the negative WR attributes were present.

WT 101 Rye last night and Baby Saz tonight.  I've run through my on-hand ryes.  I guess it's back to bourbon tomorrow.  OGD bonded is up.

Edit - Uh, I didn't FINISH them, I just don't have anymore in the house that I haven't sipped from the last three weeks.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

I've been drinking on some WTRR, WT101, WP and a PS KC this week (and weekend).  The 101 continues to be 'in the zone', for my current palate preference.   

On vacation...out for dinner & had a very nice HWRR 3oz. pour. I think it was only $14, which probably seems high to some people, but with bottles running $78 at home, it seemed like a good deal to me. It might have been $18 now that I think about it, but I didn't end up paying for dinner...So I don't have the receipt to check.

Would have had a 3oz. MWND  after dinner ($28)  if we hadn't just gotten done with 3 breweries before dinner...

Plus...The hot tub heater got fixed while we were out...So good night overall.

Plus...The hot tub heater got fixed while we were out...So good night overall.

This sounds like the beginning of Hot Tub Time Machine. If your newly fixed hot tub sends you back in time, stock up on Very Old Fitzgerald!

One of my friends is moving to London so he's trying to drink the rest of his whiskey stash. I helped him out by having some of his Willett 7yo Rye and HWRR that was finished 19mos in an ex bourbon cask. As expected, but were excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a mini of "Copper Pony", which I have incredibly low expectations - but seems fitting for tonight's activities :mellow:  And who knows - maybe this will go down in history as the night I discovered that this TerrePURE process has REALLY revolutionized the whiskey business, and whiskey aged for 6 months REALLY WILL taste like 4-6 yr old whiskey!  I mean . . . while I think there is < 5% chance of that, at least that is something to hope for LOL

Because it was on my mind due to having just purchased one, I had a pour of HW MWND. I've been fighting a cold all week and this one is tasting really good despite the congestion so it's my medicine for the evening.

19 hours ago, flahute said:

Because it was on my mind due to having just purchased one, I had a pour of HW MWND. I've been fighting a cold all week and this one is tasting really good despite the congestion so it's my medicine for the evening.

I need to see a doctor like you when I need a prescription.

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

HEY!!  It's an over-the-counter (or sometimes under-the-counter) product so feel free to self-prescribe.  It's even legal now.  For sore throat, I swear by bourbon and honey with a little lemon warmed a little above room temp.  It doesn't make the throat heal sooner, but after a couple of healthy swallows, I just don't care how bad it hurts.  IN SUM - it is BETTER than codeine.

6 hours ago, Charlutz said:

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

HEY!!  It's an over-the-counter (or sometimes under-the-counter) product so feel free to self-prescribe.  It's even legal now.  For sore throat, I swear by bourbon and honey with a little lemon warmed a little above room temp.  It doesn't make the throat heal sooner, but after a couple of healthy swallows, I just don't care how bad it hurts.  IN SUM - it is BETTER than codeine.

The doctor (me) ordered another round this evening. Still working quite nicely.

Let me know the next time you have a cold Charlutz and I'll make sure you're taken care of. (Not a real doctor but I play a great on a bourbon forum).

Ha, ha.  I am a doctor and agree with your self-medication protocol.  Ok, ok - so I only have a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering.  But I'm drinking my HWMWND 4.1 right now.  Wonderfull juice for a quiet night by the fireplace.   ;)

(Typed last night but sent this morning) - :lol:

I tried a sample of Old Potrero 18th Century that a co-worker gave me.  Hay and fresh cut grass on the nose and a strange aftertaste on the finish that I couldn't put my finger on.  I didn't love it, but didn't hate it (my wife DID hate the finish).  Its not likely I would buy a bottle of my own however.  Its very unique and interesting for sure.

Had a good pour of the Michters BP (111p) tonight. It's a very different rye, I would recommend trying it. 

3 hours ago, BFerguson said:

Lot 40 was in the glass last night. Truest a favorite of mine.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at a store recently and saw a lone bottle of Lot 40 on the clearance rack marked down $20 below the price I normally see. And it was the 2012 batch. I can't believe they had to do that to sell it. Flies under the radar a bit I guess

I'm having a pour of Woodinville Rye right now.  I really enjoy it.  It's a much better rye whiskey than the Bulleit Rye, to my taste buds.  The Bulleit has too much of a dill character to it.  I have another unopened bottle of the Woodinville Rye but will definitely buy a couple more bottles when I'm in Washington over the holidays.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.