What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Been at least a year or so since I last tasted this rye, really enjoying it, very smooth for the proof. Definitely one of the best I've tried, but it is not cheap. Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Straight Rye BIB (2015)  (100 Proof) 

IMG_0399_zpsjdvftmka.jpg

Working on a bottle of HWMWND that's been open for a while. We're just about into the holiday season so I've been hitting this one a lot lately. Only a few pours left so I'll be working on it every night until it's done.

Final pour of HWMWND. My post above was incorrect - there was only a single pour left (albeit a big one).

Last evening, HWMWND 2.6 and a newly opened 3.1. I suppose there were some subtle differences, but both were excellent.

Sometime around 5 pm (eastern), I started the post Thanksgiving season off with a nice two finger pour of the Rittlepig blend. 

Had my first pour of  HWMWND 4.3 on turkey day.  At first taste, I wasn't overly impressed.  Got pulled away to do some kitchen duties and eat, and when I finally got back to it after several hours it did not even seem like the same pour.  The nose was more pronounced and some of barrel flavor were just evident.  Looking forward to how this changes (hopefully for the better) during the holiday season.

2 hours ago, Richdel said:

Had my first pour of  HWMWND 4.3 on turkey day.  At first taste, I wasn't overly impressed.  Got pulled away to do some kitchen duties and eat, and when I finally got back to it after several hours it did not even seem like the same pour.  The nose was more pronounced and some of barrel flavor were just evident.  Looking forward to how this changes (hopefully for the better) during the holiday season.

Sounds like your palate got a recharge from the meal, and the whiskey became more agreeable.  So now you know, drink it after eating for best effect! :)

I think it was the time more than the food. I've found MWND improves dramatically with some time in the glass. The barrel influence and fruit become far more pronounced.

59 minutes ago, Guardian Enzo said:

I think it was the time more than the food. I've found MWND improves dramatically with some time in the glass. The barrel influence and fruit become far more pronounced.

Could be a contributing factor.   Some alcohol wafting off from an extended period sitting out in the glass could give it a rounder profile.  I still think it more a change in the drinker, particularly in this case, than a discernible change in the whiskey.    In general,  though I do give some credence to time in a glass possibly having some impact on a whiskey's taste, I do not at all subscribe to the theory of any benefits of bottle "air time".  

Edited by smokinjoe

A couple of evenings ago, I finished the last three fingers of a '15 PS KC.  Tonight, I'm into the baby Saz...

Having the last a Vintage 21 sample from a generous SBer

That's a pour to savor and linger over.

How I miss the golden age of well aged eye whiskey being available.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/29/2016 at 5:58 PM, Thig said:

Opened my first Pikesville Straight Rye tonight, really enjoying this one.

My friend brought over a bottle of Pikesville last night and I tried it for the first time. Lots of spice with just enough sweetness - good stuff.

WTR101 in cocktails for me tonight. Bought this bottle today for $29 + tax for a liter. Hard to beat in terms of quality/value ratio 

Finishing off the last of my bottle of AE Rye. It's another those that I've enjoyed but will most likely not buy again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.