What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened a bottle of HWRR tonight and it is hitting the spot like always. This one is a store select from a couple years ago that was aged an additional 19 months in a used bourbon barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Opened a bottle of HWRR tonight and it is hitting the spot like always. This one is a store select from a couple years ago that was aged an additional 19 months in a used bourbon barrel.

Well, cherish it.  HW is diverting the barrel finished Rendezvous Ryes to MWND.  The barrel finishes will now go to the Double Rye.  And to me, the Double Rye is light weight compared to Rendezvous.

Tonight HW Double Rye. Super easy drinking with almost no burn. If I was at a wine tasting after a few drinks and served truly blind I would have guessed Sonoma county Pinot. Red fruits, cola and molasses. Very tasty with a decent finish. 

Went to a concert last night at a classy place with a decent selection of spirits. I went with KC rye because it's not one I have at home. It's really pricey here in Seattle so I've only had it a couple times out. It's a brash pour in the barely legal rye category to my palate and it just plain works for me. It's time to bite the bullet and buy some.

Enjoying a splash of Baby Saz.  First snow of the season this morning, needed something to shake it off.

Found this fellow sitting in a local cabinet, the last one left out of 3. Given that Alberta rye is one of my very favorites, I couldn't pass it by for only $135. And damn, it is great!

I know where a 13 year LS&B is, and has been for a couple of years, for ~ $110. Based on this one, i'm going to have to grab it up. 

20161202_124805.jpg

10 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Found this fellow sitting in a local cabinet, the last one left out of 3. Given that Alberta rye is one of my very favorites, I couldn't pass it by for only $135. And damn, it is great!

I know where a 13 year LS&B is, and has been for a couple of years, for ~ $110. Based on this one, i'm going to have to grab it up. 

20161202_124805.jpg

I bought one of these recently on one of my many troublesome impulse buys that I have been trying to minimize (yeah, right) but haven't opened it yet. Reviews seem to be mixed at best. To make it worse I could never get comfortable with the 13yo LS&B as much as I wanted to and as much as I like other Alberta Distiller rye's. So it wouldn't make much sense to buy this one! Maybe I am hoping it will be what the first LS&B wasn't for me.

Would be nice if that turned out to be the case... <_<

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I bought one of these recently on one of my many troublesome impulse buys that I have been trying to minimize (yeah, right) but haven't opened it yet. Reviews seem to be mixed at best. To make it worse I could never get comfortable with the 13yo LS&B as much as I wanted to and as much as I like other Alberta Distiller rye's. So it wouldn't make much sense to buy this one! Maybe I am hoping it will be what the first LS&B wasn't for me.

Would be nice if that turned out to be the case... <_<

I also noticed reviews were mixed. But for me, 2 things:

1. I've been so impressed with Cooper's HVSRW this year (I've gone though at least 8 bottles since I found it in June) that I just trusted them implicitly. 

2. Like I said, I love the Alberta distillate, so I'm willing to take a chance on it. 

So for me, this is the best/cheapest Alberta distillate I've had! The only thing I like at all better is Boss Hog 2013. LS&B 16yo is very nearly as good and significantly cheaper. The primary thing I find for LS&B on top of my typical Alberta tasting notes for WP or Masterson's is that the finish is so long. The finish lingers with leather and vanilla longer than anything I've had. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts when you crack it open. In particular I'd like to hear how you compare it to the 13yo, since, like I said, I know where to pick one up locally. 

Edited by IncredulousNosco

Tonight couple oz of 2012 THH. Big whiskey. Very very good but so robust in nose, flavor and finish that not the type of pour could do every day. 

It was had to top the WTAS and Mariage 09 from earlier. So, keeping up with he theme of the evening, went for a wee dram of the Hirsch 25yr.

As Louie said, "oh what a wonderful world..."

B

Was invited to the debut of Resurgens Rye from Atlanta Spirits Work on Wednesday evening. ASW started with a "white spirit whiskey" that wasn't quite vodka but wasn't exactly whiskey either. I think most or all of it was sourced NGS with some whiskey mash that "terrepured" in some manner and then it may have been blended by them.

Then they released Fiddler bourbon (which I have not tried) which was one of the new mashbills produced by MGP starting in 2013 (a 45% wheat bourbon) which they reportedly "fiddled" with perhaps by doing some additional aging in different barrels (that part seems murky).

But now they are producing and bottling their own distillate. This is an all malted rye, including about 5% chocolate malt which is pretty easy to pick out, that has been distilled by them in their Vendome copper pot stills. It is aged in 15 gallon barrels for probably 1-2 years (not indicated on the bottle). Its youth still tends to present with a bit of grainy character but not as much as I would have expected while it also picks up a bit of small barrel dry tannic finish, although again not excessively so.

They like to refer to it as a "single malt" rather than a rye, much as Anchor/Potrero has done for years.

Works better in a cocktail for me than neat but I thought it had some potential. Would love to see what would happen after 4 years or so in a full size barrel but I am not sure when, or if, that might happen. Also not sure of the cost (since the event was free to me!) but no doubt at least in the usual crafty price range of $35-$40 or more.

Despite the price the local nature and limited amount seems to make them pretty popular.

Resurgens Rye 1.JPGResurgens Rye 2.JPGResurgens Rye 3.JPG

Edited by tanstaafl2

I waded into the rye pool this evening with a pour of the KBA Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye pick and followed it with some '14 Handy. 

Had a $26 pour of this year's THH at my company holiday dinner. I got a strong feeling of the super sweet crunchy part of cotton candy after it comes in contact with moisture.  I really enjoyed it. A local has it on the shelf for $300. I've passed it by without a thought multiple times but my dad just gave me a $300 check for a birthday gift. Is that a sign that it might be ok to overpay this time? I think it just may be. 

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. This one is terrific. Only had my first drink from the bottle, so tasting notes are probably premature, but the combination of herbal spiciness and cocoa notes balances the lightness of that herbal kind of spice with the deep richness of the cocoa in a way only a rye could.

5 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Had a $26 pour of this year's THH at my company holiday dinner. I got a strong feeling of the super sweet crunchy part of cotton candy after it comes in contact with moisture.  I really enjoyed it. A local has it on the shelf for $300. I've passed it by without a thought multiple times but my dad just gave me a $300 check for a birthday gift. Is that a sign that it might be ok to overpay this time? I think it just may be. 

Only you can say for sure! It would definitely not be a sign for me but I also have tried it many times and have a bottle or two on my shelf. And I would not be willing to reward a store for this excessive mark up either even if it is driven by the equally frustrating secondary market cost.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Only you can say for sure! It would definitely not be a sign for me but I also have tried it many times and have a bottle or two on my shelf. And I would not be willing to reward a store for this excessive mark up either even if it is driven by the equally frustrating secondary market cost.

Yup. That's my mental wrestling match. Do I like paying that much? No. Will I enjoy the whiskey? Definitely yes. I have a lot of whiskey in the house that cost less and purchases that I feel good about, but I don't have a THH and I do enjoy it when I get a chance to have it. 

THH is good, but not $300 good IMHO. I'm drinking a very tasty HW RR at true CS this chilly and rainy Sunday afternoon. This one was not proofed down to 100 when it was out in a barrel. So tasty at 63.5 ABV. 397eed345712926863238a8f30d1c54f.jpg

5 hours ago, whiskeyagonzo said:

THH is good, but not $300 good IMHO. I'm drinking a very tasty HW RR at true CS this chilly and rainy Sunday afternoon. This one was not proofed down to 100 when it was out in a barrel. So tasty at 63.5 ABV. 397eed345712926863238a8f30d1c54f.jpg

You always have such obscure pours.  I take it The Fifth Column is a bourbon club or liquor store?  That ...ish looks awesome.  I live vicariously through you! 

On 12/10/2016 at 5:06 PM, beasled said:

First pour of this. Wowsers... 

Screenshot_20161210-220614.png

The CS ryes are just as stellar as the CS bourbons.  I have a couple in reserve that I bought as spares for bottles that I enjoyed immensely.  I am sure you are enjoying this one as well.

On 12/5/2016 at 0:31 AM, IncredulousNosco said:

20161202_124805.jpg

I see Binny's has this.  I passed on LSB 13 for $85 a last year.   I probably should have bought one.  I still see it around but the price is closer to $120.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.