What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You always have such obscure pours.  I take it The Fifth Column is a bourbon club or liquor store?  That ...ish looks awesome.  I live vicariously through you! 

Thanks we enjoy them. T5C is just a group of whiskey nerds that buys their own barrels. In fact, most of us met on here.

Chilly night and the dogs took forever to figure out where they wanted to do their business.  Some High West MWND is called for to help warm up.

Had the second to the last pour of the KBA RRSiB Rye. It was singing so nicely that I wanted to finish it but I held off because I have a private barrel selection of RRSiB Rye coming in and I want to do a sbs.

Followed with some KC Rye. I bought a couple minis yesterday so I can determine if I really do like it. (So pricey here so I'll order online if I decide to take the plunge).

I will finish with the final pour of some '14 Handy.

Overall it's been a darn good night.

8 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

The CS ryes are just as stellar as the CS bourbons.  I have a couple in reserve that I bought as spares for bottles that I enjoyed immensely.  I am sure you are enjoying this one as well.

I've had a few of the CS bourbons, this is my first of their rye and yes I'm enjoying it vert much. Very intense. 

On 12/12/2016 at 3:16 PM, LCWoody said:

Having some Saz 18y tonight. 

Oh man........was going to follow your lead tonight but decided to keep my powder dry. Keeping it basic with some Russell's Rye 6yr and Ritt BIB. Will likely go back to Turkey and finish with some WT 101 Rye.

Did a side by side of a Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye that a group I'm a part of picked next to another group's pick. I won't name the groups because Eddie Russell told us after we picked ours that the first group had passed it over and he thought they were crazy because the barrel we picked was his favorite.

It was close for me. Our barrel was tasted from a freshly cracked bottle. The other group's was from the last pour of a bottle. At first I thought theirs was better. The longer the glasses sat out, the better ours got. By the end, I gave ours the edge. Interesting to see how a freshly opened bottle changed slowly the longer it was exposed. The first pour was not good (very grainy). The last pour was exceptional ( lots of complexity and spice).

4 minutes ago, Paddy said:

VWFRR, WT101, baby Saz and Pikesville over the past couple of days. 

Good God man, you are killing it on both sides of the 51% demarcation this week.

Opened up my High West Double Rye. Holy cow is this in your face. Really enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had some cask strength WP last night.  Not a huge fan of the retail pig product (mostly because of the price point), but this store selection is damn nice whiskey.  

Had the current iteration of Van Winkle FR Rye at a BBQ place last night. Very good whiskey but it definitely tastes to me like this is now either all BT distillate or mostly BT distillate. I only own one bottle of this and it's likely the only one I ever will because distribution in WA state for the rye goes entirely to restaurants and bars. (The one bottle I have was found by a friend in Montana). The bottle I have is the tanked whiskey and in addition to tasting like whiskey from another era you can tell there is clearly whiskey in there that's older than 13 years old. The new stuff is very tasty indeed but is not something I'd be concerned about not being able to buy. I'd probably take Handy over this if I had to choose one due to the more concentrated flavor from it being barrel proof. 

Came home from that and had a Saz 18. My palate was shot unfortunately so my sips alternated from tasting OK to tasting like too much oak. I should have known better. I need a fresh palate for the older whiskies.

A bit of Russell's Reserve Rye while I'm waiting on the pot roast to finish.

14 hours ago, Darwin said:

Finished a bottle of Rittenhouse while watching the Saints & Cardinal game.   Now to figure out a replacement for it.  

Another bottle of Rittenhouse would be a perfect replacement! :)

I finally cleared out my open bottles of rye, WT 101 and CRNH, so it was time to go down to the cellar to retrieve a bottle of Baby Saz.  That's some kind of fine whiskey. Since it's become one of the "allocation" bottles around here, it's now on my "buy it whenever you can find it" list.

RRRSiB. It's been awhile since I've dipped into this bottle. I really like it. Lots of vanilla and caramel on the front like a bourbon but a rye spice finish. Does anyone know the mashbill of this?

13 hours ago, Charlutz said:

RRRSiB. It's been awhile since I've dipped into this bottle. I really like it. Lots of vanilla and caramel on the front like a bourbon but a rye spice finish. Does anyone know the mashbill of this?

The Whiskey Tree notes the WT Rye as a "barely rye" at approximately 37 corn/51 rye/12 malt (although there had been some speculation that the rye had been reported as 23/65/12 in the past by some sources) and the bourbon mashbill as 73 corn/13 rye/12 malt. Not sure of the source of the info but I think that WT has been using the same bourbon mashbill for a long time.

My dad went to the cabinet and took out he bottle of Handy.

Poured over ice, and then topped with a generous helping of diet ginger ale.

Oh well, Merry Christmas dad.

B

My dad went to the cabinet and took out he bottle of Handy.

Poured over ice, and then topped with a generous helping of diet ginger ale.

Oh well, Merry Christmas dad.

B

I learned that lesson back in 2012. It was a PHC Cognac Finish, diet Dr Pepper, and my father-in-law but it was a bit painful to watch.

22 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Whiskey Tree notes the WT Rye as a "barely rye" at approximately 37 corn/51 rye/12 malt (although there had been some speculation that the rye had been reported as 23/65/12 in the past by some sources) and the bourbon mashbill as 73 corn/13 rye/12 malt. Not sure of the source of the info but I think that WT has been using the same bourbon mashbill for a long time.

Thanks Bruce. I need to do a better job and spend some time in that thread. It meanders a bit but I suspect will prove time well spent. Substantively, that suspected mashbill confirms what I tasted,which is nice. 

Edited by Charlutz

On December 23, 2016 at 6:39 PM, BottledInBond said:

High West MWND. My official drink of Christmas. 

Damn you...after reading this I poured some of my act 3/1. Love this rye probably because I love port. So complex and I'm bummed I didn't load up when it was $60. In this current market I'm hesitant to pay $100 which is the only price I've seen it for locally.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.