What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Met a buddy for dinner/drinks before going to s Steely Dan cover band show. As usual, Bulleit Rye was the best thing on the shelf, so I had that again.

On 11/19/2016 at 1:05 PM, BottledInBond said:

I was at a store recently and saw a lone bottle of Lot 40 on the clearance rack marked down $20 below the price I normally see. And it was the 2012 batch. I can't believe they had to do that to sell it. Flies under the radar a bit I guess

I was in our local Virginia ABC store before Thanksgiving picking up a Rittenhouse BIB, and talking ryes with the guy and he led me to a single Lot 40 bottle on closeout, same as your situation.  $20 off, 2012 vintage.  I wasn't familiar with it but love ryes, it had pedigree and the price was right so I bought it.  Not regretting the purchase.

I've discovered recently the Pikesville 6 yo, OMG, I was not a sucker for rye whiskey, but this one is great, 110 PROOF is perfect for me. I'm pouring a glass right now.

Cheers! 

Will

2 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

I've discovered recently the Pikesville 6 yo, OMG, I was not a sucker for rye whiskey, but this one is great, 110 PROOF is perfect for me. I'm pouring a glass right now.

Cheers! 

Will

Hey Will P110 is probably my favorite rye. I don't have one on the shelf currently as I'm trying to work through some others. I did welcome in 2016 with an oz of THH today. It was yummy. 

Revisiting a few bottles over the holiday's. Pikesville 110, Baby Saz, HW Rendezvous, THH, Willett FR 8, RR 6, RR SiB, and Michters BP. Variety is the spice of life :) 

Had a large pour of Willett 2yo Rye last night. I'm debating whether to keep a little of this to try SBS with the 3yo and the 4yo (whenever it arrives here) or just kill the bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revisiting High West Yippee Ki-Yay (batch 6), having earlier had their Campfire (needs more peat, might mix a little Laphroaig 10 into it next time). 

I do enjoy the Yippee Ki-Yay. It's pretty far from Rye and more of a pudding based whiskey drink. But I like it all the same.

Cheers! 

Screenshot_20170104-213048.png

I'm knocking out a bottle of Bulleit.  Still impressed with this 95% rye, regardless of its origins. 

I had two pours from a newly opened Old Potrero Straight Rye last night and another just now. You really haven't tasted what rye whiskey is until you try 100% rye malt.

Regards, Jim

I was in our local Virginia ABC store before Thanksgiving picking up a Rittenhouse BIB, and talking ryes with the guy and he led me to a single Lot 40 bottle on closeout, same as your situation.  $20 off, 2012 vintage.  I wasn't familiar with it but love ryes, it had pedigree and the price was right so I bought it.  Not regretting the purchase.

You shouldn't be. But, be warned, don't expect a typical rye experience. It's not your typical MGP rye. It's a very good type of different.

B

Back to the regular scheduled thread......

XL pour of Handy tonight. Taking the chill out of the air tonight. -2 below right now. Brrrr....

B

2 hours ago, BFerguson said:

XL pour of Handy tonight. Taking the chill out of the air tonight. -2 below right now. Brrrr....

B

Atta boy. I reacquainted myself with Handy over the holidays and was reminded of how much I like that one. I ended up finishing off the bottle. (It was about 40% full when I started).

On 1/4/2017 at 8:51 PM, BFerguson said:

B

Always an excellent pour !  This is one of my "must try(s)" every year from the antique collection.

Had a small pour of Baby Saz to start the evening a day or so ago and tonight I revisited a store select WP10 yr 100 proof - seems better now than before but I'm sure its just my perspective

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Some M BP

"i like this rye". Very good 

IMG_1102.JPG

It really is, isn't it?  I love the gingerbread sweetness to it.  Oddly, I also seem to pick up what tastes very much to me like old-school Wild Turkey funk - and that combination makes the whole thing taste a lot like an old WT to me.

8 hours ago, Guardian Enzo said:

It really is, isn't it?  I love the gingerbread sweetness to it.  Oddly, I also seem to pick up what tastes very much to me like old-school Wild Turkey funk - and that combination makes the whole thing taste a lot like an old WT to me.

A local store just got a new proof in, (114.p) I think. I'm going to have pick one up for later. 

16 hours ago, Guardian Enzo said:

Never have heard the description of "old school WT  funk".  What does that refer to?

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Never have heard the description of "old school WT  funk".  What does that refer to?

For me, it's something akin to the taste of a particularly earthy Cuban cigar (if that helps).  Hard to describe - barnyard, damp leaves, a bit of campfire smoke.  It's a quality that seems to be prevalent in pre-2000 Wild Turkey in abundance but not so much in contemporary releases.

I poured three oz of Baby Saz for Happy Hour this afternoon and the first thing that struck me was the flavor profile being so close to that of the BT Rye Mash White Dog.  It must be the weather. Maybe that means I should move up the White Dog in the rotation for tomorrow afternoon.  Quality control is always important.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.