What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished off a RR6yr Rye tonight. It took me a very long time to finish this one off. I liked it just fine, I just don't get in rye moods very often. Well, it has really been hitting the spot since last week so I powered through the remaining half of the bottle in just a few days. This now clears a spot on the shelf so I think a Baby Saz is coming up from the bunker.

^^^You inspired me enough to 'get up' and pour 1.5 of the RR6.  I'd been a long time, and this is proving to be a very nice 'change up' from my regular rotation of 110 and 101. 

^^^I started out just wanting to get rid of it since I had it open for so long. Now I'm wishing I still had some for when I get home tonight. Good thing I have the 104 proof Single Barrel open to "fall back" on.

^^^Hard times? :lol:

Seriously, I realize you're on a fully loaded bunker of goodness, but I will say again that the subtle, earthy nature of the RR was an enjoyable pour.

Afterwards, I moved back onto the 101.  Following the RR, the first sip sort of slaps you around a bit, and you know you've gotten ahold of the spunky little sister.  After that first sip though...I wouldn't kick her out of bed any day of the week.  :o

Like a dog chasing a bitch in heat...we are gluttons, aren't we?  :D

^^^^^Oh man are we gluttons. I have some 101 downstairs.....it may come upstairs now that you've planted it in my noggin. Before I get to that or the SiB though, I'm making myself work on the bottle of Wiser's Legacy I've had sitting around for three years. (Yes, it's Canadian, but it is rye after all. If we can talk about Whistle Pig in this thread, nobody should care about a quick Legacy mention). It's tasting pretty good tonight (it doesn't always satisfy) so I'm enjoying it. I'm also looking forward to using this attractive square bottle as a decanter. Enough about that though.......I shall return to the Turkey (one of them, not sure which one yet) right after this pour.

Oh......I totally plan on getting more of the 6yr now.

6 minutes ago, Steve L said:

403e0662585ccc3c9774c1cacdf2c5a0.jpg

Loving this a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well.........welcome to the party.

On 1/10/2017 at 8:11 PM, Paddy said:

^^^Hard times? :lol:

Seriously, I realize you're on a fully loaded bunker of goodness, but I will say again that the subtle, earthy nature of the RR was an enjoyable pour.

Afterwards, I moved back onto the 101.  Following the RR, the first sip sort of slaps you around a bit, and you know you've gotten ahold of the spunky little sister.  After that first sip though...I wouldn't kick her out of bed any day of the week.  :o

Like a dog chasing a bitch in heat...we are gluttons, aren't we?  :D

Man......I've been totally taken by the 101 rye this week. What started out as bottle killing mode on the Wiser's Legacy has turned into a full-on rye love fest. I'm still so-so on the Legacy, but the 101 has been knocking it out of the park. I'll be killing that bottle tonight. I only know of one store here that sells it and I haven't been there in a long time so I don't know if they still have it. If not, Google is my friend.

101 rye is now gone. Now into the SiB rye. This is far better than the 101 rye. Life is good.

18 hours ago, flahute said:

101 rye is now gone. Now into the SiB rye. This is far better than the 101 rye. Life is good.

How funny.  I am finishing off a bottle of WTR101 tonight with a bottle of RRSiB Rye on deck!

You guys hit me in the sweet spot tonight, started with WT101 Rye, moved to WT101, gonna have to get a bottle of RRRye now.....

Maybe Rarebreed will make a good night cap.

Dan

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

How funny.  I am finishing off a bottle of WTR101 tonight with a bottle of RRSiB Rye on deck!

2 hours ago, BigD said:

You guys hit me in the sweet spot tonight, started with WT101 Rye, moved to WT101, gonna have to get a bottle of RRRye now.....

Maybe Rarebreed will make a good night cap.

Dan

Nice! There's a trend perpetrating itself here and I'd keep it going except that I'm plumb out of 101 rye. And RR6yr Rye. I'm substituting with some Baby Saz, but will bring it back around with some RRSiB Rye to cap things off.

14 hours ago, flahute said:

Nice! There's a trend perpetrating itself here and I'd keep it going except that I'm plumb out of 101 rye. And RR6yr Rye. I'm substituting with some Baby Saz, but will bring it back around with some RRSiB Rye to cap things off.

Those two are house staples, so I'm sure you have some shopping to do in the very near future!;)

I recieved a small sample of the 2016 Saz in the mail from a generous enthusiast and just drank it. I poured a little tanked Saz for a SBS. I thought the nose was a little more pronounced on the 16. The 16 also had a little more spice and barrel char on the back of the throat. The tanked was smoother overall. I was skeptical of the new stuff but it wasn't as bad as I feared. I would say I still prefer the tanked but I also am basing all of this off a very small sample so it's far from a perfect evaluation. 

It's interesting but it has been reported that the 16 was a stopgap combo of the tanked and some new. Supposedly this year's will be all new barrel dump. 

Cracked open a JEP Barrel Proof, and was unimpressed (although I think at this point my head was getting more stuffy - so not writing it off just yet).  Last night, it just seemed like a hot mess - alcohol and pepper spice (and too much alcohol for the 114.x proof it is).  

Sipping on some EHT while the grill heats up.  This bottle will be lucky if it lasts 48 hours.

Edited by Paddy

At least one pour of this, Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Straight Rye BIB (2015)  (100 Proof).  This is my only bottle, it is very nice, but for what I paid for it, not sure if I would buy it again, but I will have awhile to think about it though.:)

IMG_0652_zpsytxc1xlf.jpg

Couple pours of Baby Saz last night. So good. Bottle is getting low though and finding a new one around my town is nigh possible. Thankfully there's a spare hidden away but after that, may need to make a road trip!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, MTNBourbon said:

At least one pour of this, Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Straight Rye BIB (2015)  (100 Proof).  This is my only bottle, it is very nice, but for what I paid for it, not sure if I would buy it again, but I will have awhile to think about it though.:)

IMG_0652_zpsytxc1xlf.jpg

I think that's one of the best Ryes on the market right now, yes its a little pricey, but very good.

18 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I think that's one of the best Ryes on the market right now, yes its a little pricey, but very good.

Oh Yeah, very tasty.:)

Still in bottle kill mode on this Wiser's Legacy I've had for a few years. Some nights it's wonderful stuff, full of a fruit variety that's sprinkled with some rye mint. Other nights I just don't get it. That's why I'm trying to end it. Will follow with some Baby Saz.

Opened one of my remaining bottles of SAOS 8 yr barrel strength (55.8%) tonight.  I am fortunate to have several of these bunkered, and since these are all there ever will be of this particular rye, I have decided to consume one bottle per year, with tonight being the first pour from this year's bottle.  Doesn't drink like 111.6 proof--no water necessary.  Just a great rye!

On 1/17/2017 at 7:18 AM, Ravensfire said:

Couple pours of Baby Saz last night. So good. Bottle is getting low though and finding a new one around my town is nigh possible. Thankfully there's a spare hidden away but after that, may need to make a road trip!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Drive just across the river.  It's everywhere.  Advantage state line !

If you need help, PM me.

:)

Edited by 0895

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.