What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Still in bottle kill mode on the Wiser's Legacy. One more pour left after tonight. It's not bad, but I just kind of muddle through with it.

I'm much more excited about the Pikesville that I pulled out of the bunker and opened. Incredible with the first pour. Following with a private barrel selection of RRSiB Rye.

Starting the night off with some WP 15y not bad, but don't think I'll pick up another when this one is gone. 

IMG_1149.JPG

Opened this special bottle at a buddies house last night. 

Local distillery that does 2year + aged rye (and its actually good on its own).

They put some in a used barrel that (wait for it)....

-originally held bourbon

-then held pure Maple syrup

So the rye picked up whatever was left from the previous bourbon and maple syrup.

No fake flavors here!

As a bonus, they DID NOT filter it during bottling, thus the cloudy haze...

Man it's delicious.

And it goes down like water, with almost no bite.  Just a hint of sweet maple mixed in with the spicy rye for a nice balance.

IMAG1758[1].jpg

Edited by 0895

Bought my first bottle of Sazerac Rye tonight and all I can say is Wow!  Having been someone who drink Kentucky Straight Bourbon almost exclusively I am very impressed by this bottle. Very smooth and I enjoy the flavor. 

Opened this special bottle at a buddies house last night. 

Local distillery that does 2year + aged rye (and its actually good on its own).

They put some in a used barrel that (wait for it)....

-originally held bourbon

-then held pure Maple syrup

So the rye picked up whatever was left from the previous bourbon and maple syrup.

No fake flavors here!

As a bonus, they DID NOT filter it during bottling, thus the cloudy haze...

Man it's delicious.

And it goes down like water, with almost no bite.  Just a hint of sweet maple mixed in with the spicy rye for a nice balance.

That is seriously tasty stuff. If I remeber right, i think it went Bourbon, then Beer (Derevation or LSD) and then the syrup. Got a bottle of batch 1 I'm still working through. If you like that, have a store pour you a sample of Vermont Night. Similar concept done very very differently. Think of that as a late night cordial. I'll drink Maple Sunset anytime.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Drive just across the river.  It's everywhere.  Advantage state line !
If you need help, PM me.
[emoji4]

You know, i head over to Fairview every few months and forget to look. Thanks for the tip.

And with that, it's been two pours of Baby Saz after 6 hours of leaf cleanup. Oh that was such a great way to recover!

WT101 followed by Pikesville 110.  Rye, and a great night of college basketball.  It doesn't get any better than this!

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

WT101 followed by Pikesville 110.  Rye, and a great night of college basketball.  It doesn't get any better than this!

Oh man.....you're where I was last week and now I'm at the opposite side with wheaters. I think the rye will pull me back very soon.

On 1/22/2017 at 9:40 PM, Ravensfire said:

That is seriously tasty stuff. If I remeber right, i think it went Bourbon, then Beer (Derevation or LSD) and then the syrup. Got a bottle of batch 1 I'm still working through. If you like that, have a store pour you a sample of Vermont Night. Similar concept done very very differently. Think of that as a late night cordial. I'll drink Maple Sunset anytime.

Mine is batch 3 from fall of 2016.

Doesn't say anything about beer on the label.  Just aged rally point rye put into bourbon and then maple syrup barrels, so who knows.

None of this really matters though.  Darn tasty stuff and I'm glad I picked it up.

I've tried the Vermont Night and did not care for it at all.  Just not my thing.  Too sweet.

Started with a nice pour of Jeff 10 on this chilly Friday before deciding to go up in proof and down in age with an older WFER 5yr (thanks Doug!)  Both delicious!

Edited by GaryT
Appending with next pour ;)

Thanks to a really great fellow SB forum member,

tonight I'm drinking a sample of Smooth Ambler single barrel cask strength Rye for the first time ever!

Fantastic Juice.  Wish I would've been into rye back when these were available.

Smells slightly of leather and earth with the rye spice mixed in there.  Has that familiar MGP-ness about it....and I mean that in a good way. ;)

Hints of mint upon contact with the lips, followed by a smooth yet spicy blend of caramel and butterscotch that dances on the back of the tongue.

Nice thick consistency that runs down the glass like syrup.

Finishes with a nice burst of heat going down and then a slightly cool mint feeling coming back up the throat, followed by some mellow heat that lingers.

What I wouldn't give for a bottle of this...:wub:

IMAG1774_1[1].jpg

Screenshot_2017-01-27-19-48-43_1_1[1].jpg

12 hours ago, 0895 said:

tonight I'm drinking a sample of Smooth Ambler single barrel cask strength Rye for the first time ever!

Smells slightly of leather and earth with the rye spice mixed in there.  Has that familiar MGP-ness about it....and I mean that in a good way. ;)

Hints of mint upon contact with the lips, followed by a smooth yet spicy blend of caramel and butterscotch that dances on the back of the tongue.

Finishes with a nice burst of heat going down and then a slightly cool mint feeling coming back up the throat, followed by some mellow heat that lingers.

IMAG1774_1[1].jpg

Very Nice!

Relaxing by a fire on a chilly winter day with some baby saz. CNN on the tv is adding some stress, but the whiskey is such a pleasure. 

IMG_2544.JPG

46 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Relaxing by a fire on a chilly winter day with some baby saz. CNN on the tv is adding some stress, but the whiskey is such a pleasure. 

How many bottles of baby saz to trade for that fireplace?

:)

40 minutes ago, 0895 said:

How many bottles of baby saz to trade for that fireplace?

:)

Well, I'll have to let it cool down before I ship it... My wife might be a little upset too. When we bought the house the cabinets were in her words "poop brown" and the fireplace was surrounded with some granite that wasn't her thing. She took care of all the painting and she maintains the paint after fire season when it gets destroyed by dumping by logs all over it. So, how much saz are we talking about? :D

On 1/27/2017 at 9:15 PM, 0895 said:

IMAG1774_1[1].jpg

One of, if not my absolute, favorites.

I had just bought and discovered I 'kinda' liked it, when I heard they were stopping production of it. I went out and loaded up on 7 and 8 year bottles, leaving almost a case on the shelf. went back a week later and they were all gone.

I still have 5 unopened and still feel I have to ration them.

The SAOS SB bourbon is almost as good. I've been collecting those lately too.

I imagine SAOS or someone else will eventually put out a similarly aged MGP barrel proof rye, but it will be years down the road, and likely significantly more costly. My first one was $45, the last ones I stockpiled were almost $60.

Having a very good pour of WFERye. Their is the classic 95% rye flavors but this bottle has a dark chocolate flavor that is great. IMG_1201.JPG

Enjoying a rye Manhattan made with what I think is one of the best store pick single barrel 10 year Whistle Pigs I've ever had.

IMAG1783[1].jpg

14 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Having a very good pour of WFERye. Their is the classic 95% rye flavors but this bottle has a dark chocolate flavor that is great. IMG_1201.JPG

Very Nice!

23 minutes ago, tigerlam92 said:

Starting the night with a Rath rye, for me only, the very best rye ever. :)

92ccb3e19f9aa68b0b8120f3115480d7.jpg

Hugh, you aren't alone in that opinion-though it's hard to differentiate any of the barrel proof KBD ryes from that era. Cheers!

1 hour ago, tigerlam92 said:

Starting the night with a Rath rye, for me only, the very best rye ever. :)

Very nice. I would have loved to have been able to hey that bottle. 

Sipping Woodinville Whiskey Co. 100% rye, 45%ABV, micro-barreled.  Well made whiskey.

When I finish this bottle, I'll open the 5-year version of this rye.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.