What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened bottle 2 of 3 of this glorious juice
14885962572231294893836.thumb.jpg.5e297b53dcb0739fdf84e1d78352da0b.jpg

Great stuff. I wish I had stocked up on that when it was available. I think I have one tucked away somewhere...

Anyways, starting the night with a generous helping of Rendezvous Rye aged an additional 19 months in a used bourbon barrel. Certainly some extra oak in this compared to the regular RR.

Drinking Woodinville One Hundred Percent Rye microbarreled this afternoon. 

On 3/3/2017 at 10:17 PM, Kpiz said:

Great stuff. I wish I had stocked up on that when it was available. I think I have one tucked away somewhere...

Anyways, starting the night with a generous helping of Rendezvous Rye aged an additional 19 months in a used bourbon barrel. Certainly some extra oak in this compared to the regular RR.

A lot of us feel the same way.  I still have a Canadian version NCF from several years ago.  I bought a couple a few years ago before they totally disappeared.  I drank one bottle and hid the other in the back of the cupboard.

Long day of soccer.  Cold and upper level boys/men (U17 to U19).  Relaxing and warming up with WTR101.

Edited by mbroo5880i

I am going to give Woodford Reserve Rye another chance. It underwhelmed me the first time that I tried it.

a63d9c08764bf2371d10e330309a86e7.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Even Kitty can't resist the best store pick WP10 I've ever had.

Literally goes down like water.

Sad day as I finished the bottle tonight. :(

IMAG1847_1.jpg

Edited by 0895

I taste this Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye for the first time tonight.

8468fd2cac3025892666ccfa54bd8945.jpg

24 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I taste this Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye for the first time tonight.

And ???    :)

And ???    [emoji4]

Not bad. I can't see it being the top whisky, but it is not rotgut rye. I like the warmth of the spice. Smooth. Apple is the predominant taste. I have only had one glass, but so far I prefer the High West Double Rye. It is certainly tasty for a $23 bottle (sale price).

Enjoying some Willett 2yo rye. I was going to try finishing the bottle tonight, but there are still a couple ounces left. It's tasting extra fruity tonight for some reason.

Pendleton 1910 that was in the back of my cabinet for the last couple years. Pretty much how I remember it, decent taste just too thin and weak. 

11 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Not bad. I can't see it being the top whisky, but it is not rotgut rye. I like the warmth of the spice. Smooth. Apple is the predominant taste. I have only had one glass, but so far I prefer the High West Double Rye. It is certainly tasty for a $23 bottle (sale price).

This is not a finished rye is it?

1 hour ago, MTNBourbon said:

This is not a finished rye is it?

It is a Canadian whisky which means you don't really know what it is unless they choose to tell you. There was some discussion of this when it was named grand poobah whiskey of the year but my recollection is that it is about 90% rye and 10% what ever they want to put in it as is the custom for Canadians. Whether the rye component would qualify as an American straight rye based on distilling and barreling proof and whether it was aged in new or used casks or some combination of the two I can't recall. I presume at least some of it is not essentially rye NGS.

12 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It is a Canadian whisky which means you don't really know what it is unless they choose to tell you. There was some discussion of this when it was named grand poobah whiskey of the year but my recollection is that it is about 90% rye and 10% what ever they want to put in it as is the custom for Canadians. Whether the rye component would qualify as an American straight rye based on distilling and barreling proof and whether it was aged in new or used casks or some combination of the two I can't recall. I presume at least some of it is not essentially rye NGS.

Thanks. I've never tried any of their stuff. Most likely will not buy any either.

4 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Thanks. I've never tried any of their stuff. Most likely will not buy any either.

It's actually a quite well done, easy sipping whiskey.  Mind you, it won't knock your socks off, but I'd bet we've all spent a lot more change elsewhere...for a lot lessor product. 

10 minutes ago, Paddy said:

It's actually a quite well done, easy sipping whiskey.  Mind you, it won't knock your socks off, but I'd bet we've all spent a lot more change elsewhere...for a lot lessor product. 

Despite my sarcasm I agree it is an easy drinking and affordable whisky. But I am not sure it was going to ever make a top ten list (good or bad) of any kind for me.

But I did prefer the Crown Royal "Hand Selected" single barrel whisky that came (and seemingly about as quickly went) a couple of years ago over almost any other CR bottling I have had that I can recall.

Edited by tanstaafl2

20 hours ago, oke&coke said:

Pendleton 1910 that was in the back of my cabinet for the last couple years. Pretty much how I remember it, decent taste just too thin and weak. 

Yeah...I made a thread about this rubbish whisky.

Finally finishing off this bottle of Willett 2yo. I think I originally intended to save some for comparison against the 3yo and the future 4yo, but it sat open on the shelf too long and I had to finish it. I think this rye will be incredible after a few more years in the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are people so excited about the Willett rye? It tasted a lot like the total wine store brand rye from Terre pure IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

Why are people so excited about the Willett rye?

Because when she grows up, she's gonna be a perfect 10 !

Yeah, what 0895 said. Compared to other ~2yo whiskeys I've tried, this shows a lot of promise. I didn't enjoy every pour of the bottle I had, sometimes it seemed too grainy and lacked dimension, but in my opinion it has no off flavors and is surprisingly well integrated for something so young. It just seems to be a well-made product and I think it'll be very good with more aging. I'm sure my opinion will change to some degree, for better or worse, when I finally get around to opening the 3yo Willett rye I have.

Also, it doesn't hurt that they are releasing the rye at cask strength

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

Because when she grows up, she's gonna be a perfect 10 !

And, she won't be a 'cheap' 10 either!  ;)

Watching "Friends" re-runs with Littlesmokinjoe and sipping on a Rittenhouse BIB.  Wonderfully in the "herbal" rye category, with deep earthy and leathery notes.  Spearmint just poking through on the finish.  Complex and very savory.  A great sipper.  This is a rye that invites and rewards a prolonged and thoughtful "Kentucky Chew".  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.