What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally got around to opening a few ryes and abruptly decided on a vatting of the four.  The SAOS is 8YO and 122 proof.  

Initially the nose was all SAOS with mint, dill and bubblegum but softened by the others.  After about 15 minutes this became a vanilla/caramel bomb followed by mint and dark fruit.  Now after about 30 minutes this has settled into a mint/vanilla/cola mode.

The tasting profile followed along the same pattern to me, except for the second tasting.  The second tasting started at the back of the palate and moved rapidly to the tip of my tongue and then my gums.  This was incredible as I haven't had that in several years.  It finished strong and lasted a long time.  Third tasting was boring.  

Overall, a good experience and glad I did this but I would leave out the WT 101 as it seemed to be left out.  

IMG_0143.JPG

Edited by kyrocklover
Spelling error

First time trying this.  WOW.  There's a lot going on inside this bottle.

First a blast of pepper hits you in the mouth, followed by slight licorice & a touch of molasses dancing on your tongue.

Then as you swallow, a wave of tobacco starts at the back of your throat and fills your mouth with delicate heat that is just perfect...not too hot...not too cold.

The heat lingers for a bit and then slowly dissipates and you immediately grab for the glass to ride again.

Since these bottles are hard to find, I'm just happy to have had the experience at this point.  :wub:

IMAG1878[1].jpg

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

First time trying this.  WOW.  There's a lot going on inside this bottle.

First a blast of pepper hits you in the mouth, followed by slight licorice & a touch of molasses dancing on your tongue.

Then as you swallow, a wave of tobacco starts at the back of your throat and fills your mouth with delicate heat that is just perfect...not too hot...not too cold.

The heat lingers for a bit and then slowly dissipates and you immediately grab for the glass to ride again.

Since these bottles are hard to find, I'm just happy to have had the experience at this point.  :wub:

IMAG1878[1].jpg

Maybe that should be the first spring post... Nice.

Oh double pour of double rye. mmmmm loving this one tonight

I hate to post this after one of the best ryes you can get with Rittenhouse 23yr Just above me.

I bought a bottle of 100% Canadian Rye, Canadian Club about a year ago. Bought it for Manhattans and Old Fasions. Was about to buy a bottle of Old Overholt but they where sampling this and thought it was much better and at a similar price.

It seems to have so much potential. Would love to buy it a higher proof and aged a bit longer.

3e8afe08d0f136b9e80199448dae1da0.jpg

^^^^^That's a perfectly serviceable Canadian whiskey that I always keep around. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2017 at 11:46 AM, 0895 said:

Since I'm off today and it's 70 degrees out..... windows open & a new store pick double rye.

Finished in a Manhattan barrel for 1.4 years.  The finishing really cuts the rye spice down and smoothes the whole thing out.  

Wow!

Delicious!

IMAG1831.jpg

On 2/23/2017 at 1:06 PM, kevinbrink said:

Is that from TWCP? if so I might have to order myself a bottle.

One of the four bottles I ordered from TWCP (thanks Kev!). Can't wait to try it out. I like High West and like their Ryes. 895s review even gets me more pumped. I feel like I am going to order a few more once this thing gets here and I down a pour.

Cheers

Edited by Government Beard

11 hours ago, Government Beard said:

One of the four bottles I ordered from TWCP (thanks Kev!). Can't wait to try it out. I like High West and like their Ryes. 895s review even gets me more pumped. I feel like I am going to order a few more once this thing gets here and I down a pour.

Cheers

Hope you enjoy it.

Best of all, you get the rainbow bottle !!!

On 3/30/2017 at 9:50 AM, 0895 said:

Hope you enjoy it.

Best of all, you get the rainbow bottle !!!

Just received it the other day. Looks awesome. I haven't opened it yet, however. How's the bottle treating ya?

Edited by Government Beard

23 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Just received it the other day. Looks awesome. I haven't opened it yet, however. How's the bottle treating ya?

I'm still loving it.  The finishing really cuts the sharp rye bite of "regular" double rye down (not that there's anything wrong with DR).  Gives it a very smooth easy drinking taste.

Just a great bottle, period.

Stashed a few away, because I enjoyed it so much.

Just now, 0895 said:

I'm still loving it.  The finishing really cuts the sharp rye bite of "regular" double rye down (not that there's anything wrong with DR).  Gives it a very smooth easy drinking taste.

Just a great bottle, period.

Stashed a few away, because I enjoyed it so much.

Very nice. Your review gets me pumped to pop it open. If it meets my expectations (can't see why not - love DR and barrel finishes/High West) I was going to buy and stash 2 or 3 more bottles. No more than that though. At $50 it is starting to creep up the pricey scale where it goes against things I can find locally for the same price.

Cheers good sir!

• 2 weeks later...

had some guys over for whiskey and whisky a few Fridays ago and started with a flight of ryes

nobody liked the Leopold as much as I did; I love the leathery taste of the Maryland style ryes

7a7156f3-d151-4699-a2ba-b79c995a05f7_zps

had this out too, but didn't get around to pouring any

think I wll have some right now, however

who has vW Rye bunkered? I have at least one more

965a567c-21f4-4cf4-8880-9d7d4ab94975_zps

Edited by bigtoys

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.