Buffalo Trace is AWESOME!

JTaylor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We stopped by Buffalo Trace on our way back to Michigan from Gulfport, MS visiting our son who is a SeaBee in the Navy. It was about 9:00 am on a Tuesday or Wednesday and there were only about 4 or 6 other people there. We took the tour and hit the gift shop where along with several bottles I bought a barrel stave because of course I wanted to build a stopper display. We looked at the stoppers they had for sale, and I could have bought enough to complete the display, but I told my wife that I would rather drink all the bottles that my stoppers come from. My wife, who can become best friends with anyone, anywhere, at anytime struck up a conversation with the lady at the register and ended up telling her about our trip and disclosed the fact that I was a Navy Veteran who loves BT product. The lady pulled this out of the drawer under the cash register and gave it to me and thanked me for my service! It will make a nice exclamation point on my display!

Gold Stopper.jpg

I agree with you on all counts, JT.    The place is historic, the tours are well done, the products are first rate....and maybe most important; the folx I've encountered working there have almost all been very personable, and usually knowledgeable to boot.    I've had more than a few interesting personal conversations with different ones of 'em awaiting tours.   Always a favorite stop for me.

Two things: 1) BT is not even on the Bourbon Trail but...2) It does not matter. Mrs. F. and I were there on a sleety March morning. No one else showed up but Freddie took us on a private tour anyway. And he had already done that 2 years before. Let me bang out some bungs and had Mrs. F. fill some Blanton's bottles and put on Japanese collar labels. (Freddie just likes Mrs. F. and Mrs. JTaylor, too, evidently.)

Glad to hear everyone else has had a great experience there as well.  My wife said she would tour exactly ONE distillery with me - and it was a no brainer for me to settle on the Buffalo.  Lovely grounds which I knew she would enjoy - although I was a bit disappointed only because it was the first tour I had been on there that didn't walk into Warehouse C (the big brick one just across from the visitor center).  I think that one smells better than the others I've been fortunate to step into :)  But I'll bet I've been there close to 10 times, and have enjoyed every visit.  Great people and history!

• 4 months later...

I am here right now. I love the smell of Warehouse X.
a04efcc4a220509d9609bb6ca244a1b8.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Did you go on a tour, and if so, who was your tour guide?

Joe

Joe,

I did go on the tour. I am awful with names, so I did not retain the name of our guide. He is in this photo. He was quite exuberant and knowledgeable. Somebody asked him about an ideal bourbon and he was talking about watching the sunset with a tall pour of George T Stagg the night before. The guide also did well staving off the sour comments by the tender-footed prohibitionist who appeared to be offended at least a dozen times during the tour.

Joe, do you work at Buffalo Trace or have friends who work there?

043b9b22166bed2d6aa52b037884b84c.jpg

BT is awesome. I showed up there last Monday at about 4:30pm, after the last tour had left. I really just want to check out the gift shop. However, the lady at the store told me she could still get me a tour.

A former band director named Chuck, now a BT tour guide, gladly obliged and so I got a 1 on 1 tour, walking me through the process first hand. He took me into Warehouse C and I also saw Blanton's getting bottled by hand (still got a tasting at the end too). BT is first class. 

BT is awesome. I showed up there last Monday at about 4:30pm, after the last tour had left. I really just want to check out the gift shop. However, the lady at the store told me she could still get me a tour.

A former band director named Chuck, now a BT tour guide, gladly obliged and so I got a 1 on 1 tour, walking me through the process first hand. He took me into Warehouse C and I also saw Blanton's getting bottled by hand (still got a tasting at the end too). BT is first class. 

That is first class.
You are clearly a VIP, DeepCover.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice report ! My wife and I are doing the Hard Hat Tour on March the 24th for my birthday.  Have never been, love hearing about everyone's  trips.

Nice report ! My wife and I are doing the Hard Hat Tour on March the 24th for my birthday.  Have never been, love hearing about everyone's  trips.

I look forward to reading about (and maybe seeing a few pics) your hard hat tour. That will be a great birthday!

On 2/28/2017 at 9:45 PM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I look forward to reading about (and maybe seeing a few pics) your hard hat tour. That will be a great birthday!

Will do.  Will def take a ton of pics.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.