What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, tsangster said:

OWA, Weller 12 and WSR family size all $40 each.

Not a Weller fan I take it hah? 

Half the members probably just cursed your name, esp on the W12 big jug for $40.

Passed on all versions of 2016 BTAC, Kentucky Owl, Stagg Jr, ECBP, Blood Oath Pact 2, and a few others - the lowest price on BTAC was $499.99 so of course it was an easy pass...

Not a Weller fan I take it hah? 

Half the members probably just cursed your name, esp on the W12 big jug for $40.

I'm not sure that he meant that the W12 and OWA were big jugs. I interpreted the post to mean that the WSR was a big jug and the others were standard fifths. I'd probably pass on all but maybe the W12 at those prices if I interpreted it correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I'm not sure that he meant that the W12 and OWA were big jugs. I interpreted the post to mean that the WSR was a big jug and the others were standard fifths. I'd probably pass on all but maybe the W12 at those prices if I interpreted it correctly.

That does make more sense indeed.

13 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I interpreted the post to mean that the WSR was a big jug and the others were standard fifths. 

This ^^^

22 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

the few Binny's stores I've been to have had RY10SB in stock, might be able to get the one closest to you to order it for you if they don't have it in stock.

Thanks for the tip, I should probably check availability at the Bloomington IL store first.  I usually make a trip every month or two for an excellent restaurant and microbrewery (stopping by Binny's as well, of course) but have not had the time recently.

Jason

23 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I picked up 2 weller 12 bottles today (1.75's) for $50 each here in Texas. It hit the stores today at specs if anyone is interested. 

Passed on a full lineup of BTAC and PVW, ranging anywhere from $300 for the THH and $2,000 for the PVW20.

Passed on OF1920 for $51.99 at Costco.  Passing on it isn't really noteworthy.  What was noteworthy is they had close to 10 cases of it.  Interesting that this Costco has a new release of a currently limited whiskey, much less in that quantity.  I passed because I already have a bottle.  

Edited by mbroo5880i

I as well passed on old forester 1920 for $50 but only because there was eagle rare for $25, and that I just could not pass up.

Passed on the PHC24 for $500. The store had 3 or 4 bottles. They also had OWA for $38. Have yet to see W12 here in MD and am jealous of our TX, NC and GA brothers who seem to be able to find it on shelves.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on OF1920 for $51.99 at Costco.  Passing on it isn't really noteworthy.  What was noteworthy is they had close to 10 cases of it.  Interesting that this Costco has a new release of a currently limited whiskey, much less in that quantity.  I passed because I already have a bottle.  

Yeah, there's suddenly so much because all the quality barrels from OF Sig went into it.  Just speculation on my part.

There were several different recipes of FRSB PS at a Total Wines in Washington state that I would have liked to have in the collection--especially the OESQ and OBSQ--but with taxes, they were $99 each.  I can get FRSB PS for $65 at home in Oregon, so I'll be patient and hope for these recipes to pop up in the future.

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Saw this in a Costco in Louisville as well - they had a larger selection of Bourbon than I'd every seen in their liquor department including Booker's at $39.99 for the latest release.  

14 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Passed on the PHC24 for $500. The store had 3 or 4 bottles. They also had OWA for $38. Have yet to see W12 here in MD and am jealous of our TX, NC and GA brothers who seem to be able to find it on shelves.

Weller 12 has not historically been distributed in Maryland.  Individual bottles sneak through every now and then.  Montgomery County got some a year or two ago.  The last time I saw any was at Pine Orchard Liquors earlier this year, but the owner was selling it for $85 or so.

We get OWA in irregularly.  Finding it at MSRP these days is doable, if not as easy as it used to be.

15 hours ago, Charlutz said:

The OWA shows up on shelves occasionally here in NC, but W12 is strictly lottery or email list only. I've never seen one actually make it out on the shelf. 

Edited by BDanner

On 10/21/2016 at 7:53 PM, mbroo5880i said:

But OF1920 is not a limited release.  It's just the newest in their Whiskey Row series which is a standard release and will not be hard to find.  That's what I understand anyway, I could be wrong.

On October 22, 2016 at 0:24 PM, garbanzobean said:

Weller 12 has not historically been distributed in Maryland.  Individual bottles sneak through every now and then.  Montgomery County got some a year or two ago.  The last time I saw any was at Pine Orchard Liquors earlier this year, but the owner was selling it for $85 or so.

We get OWA in irregularly.  Finding it at MSRP these days is doable, if not as easy as it used to be.

Hey Eric -

Yeah, those prices above were at Pine Orchard. I keep asking around for W12, but no joy. I've been looking for years and have only had it in bars. Total Wine got some last year that they held behind the counter, but I didn't learn that until I asked this year. They have no idea if or when they'll get it this year.

7 hours ago, mike9903 said:

Not a bourbon, but passed on HW Mid Winter's Night Dram and I don't regret it at all. 

May I ask why, I just tried some last week at the distillery and in my opinion its the best one yet, they received a higher quality of port barrel for finishing and the flavor is awesome.

6 minutes ago, birdie said:

May I ask why, I just tried some last week at the distillery and in my opinion its the best one yet, they received a higher quality of port barrel for finishing and the flavor is awesome.

$80 for sourced whiskey finished in port barrels seems a bit ridiculous to me, would rather save my money for something else is all. 

1 hour ago, mike9903 said:

$80 for sourced whiskey finished in port barrels seems a bit ridiculous to me, would rather save my money for something else is all. 

If you haven't tried MWND, I think you should at least find a pour to try at a bar before blowing it off as a low quality NDP. I can't claim that this is fact, but I believe that this is one of the most highly regarded NDPs out there. 

And if if you don't like NDPs just because they're NDPs, I hope you don't plan on buying any of the Van Winkle products this year, any Michters, any Smooth Ambler (besides Yearling), any Willett Family Estate bottles (besides the 2/3 rye), any Bulleit products, Dickel rye, any Orphan Barrel products, Barrell Bourbon or Whiskey, etc., etc., etc...........

Any store you go into these days might have more NDP labels than non-NDP labels. Some are good. Some aren't. Some are honest. Some aren't. I hope we can all be consistent about our views on them. It seems like everyone bashes them but also buys many labels listed above. 

I agree $80 does get you a whole bunch of other choices.......I have a feeling in a few months $80 (if you like the product) will seem like a good deal, around here (CO) it rarely makes it to the shelf.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.