What bottle did you open today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened a bottle of Rebel Yell 10yr Single Barrel this evening. Found it very good and highly recommend picking one up if you see it. 

Opened Old Scout American Whiskey last night. Pretty solid overall. About what you'd expect from Smooth Ambler at this point.

Opened my first RHF. I've had it before at a friend's house but it's been awhile. Holy crap I've missed it. Very syrupy mouthfeel, sugary sweet up front, a nice little bit of spice on the back end and a long finish. It's $55 here but routinely available and one solid example that not all great bourbons are unicorns. 

Would like to crack open a new bottle in honor of my Sooners beating the Longhorns today.  But I've got too many open already...

Opened a Eagle Rare 2016 bottling, it used to be better. It wasnt  bad but I recall it used to be better.

Opened my first Henry McKenna 

BiB, #2224.  A good one I think. Mildly complex. Hits the standard notes of caramel, vanilla on the front palate, with a long spicy finish. Not heavy on the oak. Only downside is, viscosity is a big on the thin side. 

IMG_0386.JPG

5 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Opened my first Henry McKenna 

BiB, #2224.  A good one I think. Mildly complex. Hits the standard notes of caramel, vanilla on the front palate, with a long spicy finish. Not heavy on the oak. Only downside is, viscosity is a big on the thin side. 

IMG_0386.JPG

This is my current favorite. The finish goes on for days. 

On October 8, 2016 at 8:45 AM, mountaineervol said:

Opened Old Scout American Whiskey last night. Pretty solid overall. About what you'd expect from Smooth Ambler at this point.

"Pretty solid" is an apt description for SA bourbons, and generally all labels of MGP bourbons.  But for the life of me, and in spite of the dozens of standard and PS selections I've tried, I can't seem to find one that goes beyond that...

37 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

"Pretty solid" is an apt description for SA bourbons, and generally all labels of MGP bourbons.  But for the life of me, and in spite of the dozens of standard and PS selections I've tried, I can't seem to find one that goes beyond that...

Some of the bottlings of 8 year cask strength MGP ryes (WFE/SA) have gone beyond that for me. I think I agree on the bourbon side though. Never drank one that really compelled me to run back to stock up on.....

Some of the bottlings of 8 year cask strength MGP ryes (WFE/SA) have gone beyond that for me. I think I agree on the bourbon side though. Never drank one that really compelled me to run back to stock up on.....

The closet I came on the bourbon was the original Faultine bottling they did for K&L. I liked that one.

Yesterday, I opened a bottle of Cooper's Craft that I let myself get talked into, even though I expected little for cheese asked.

I was absolutely right.    I got 'little' value for the cheddar.    The profile is very slightly different than many Bourbons; but not a bit complex, and not very interesting.    Nose was only OK, the palate, as I said was very slightly different than I expected; but not in a good way, and the finish was short and uninspiring.

I opened a private selection bottle of Blanton's today. I had tried an ounce of so of this barrel before buying a bottle. When I tried that sample I bought the bottle instantly. I was a little worried that it was going to be a letdown when I opened the bottle as I assumed it could t possibly be as good as I had convinced myself that the sample had beensinc it was more than a month ago. Wrong. This barrel is fantastic, by far the best Blanton's I've ever had. now I just want to know if there is any of it left at the store it came from.....,

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Have you ever had the very old scout? It was either 14 or 19 years old (hard to read the writing, I assume 14). But that one was really good. Obviously not able to find this anymore, happened to find it at a restaurant/bar in DC. The Smooth Ambler single barrel rye is one of my favorites for a rye. But I can see where you are coming from with the bourbon. I really didn't care for the SAOS 7 year that most others really like. Really would like to make a trip to the distillery anyway since they have their own juice coming out soon.

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

JTS Brown BIB

A solid pour at a great price, Joe.   Fast Eddie Felson would be envious.

Edited by Richnimrod

Opened a BT last night....Haven't had one opened in months. Forgot how good this was....really enjoyed it. Great value.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Ahhhh, Very nice stuff, IMHO, M1982.    Have FUN!

I had fun with it last night, great stuff! I really liked the 2014, but this one is something else (in a good way).

Finally opened my CEHT SmB last night. Very tasty and a good value at $40. First pour neat, second pour with a small splash. Enjoyed it both ways, but the splash really helped this one. 

I had a bottle of Binnys 11 year back in 2012...it was spectacular. I have spent 4 years buying any 11 year SAOS I can find but none comes close to the original I had. I believe stunning SAOS is out there, but few and far between...the good news to me is everything is highly acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opened a new bottle of ECBP yesterday (136.0).    I was initially underwhelmed a bit by it.

After a little more noodling about it, I decided two things.....

1) It reminded me of what I think Evan Williams would be like at Barrel Proof (younger in profile than EC; but not too young) and quite enjoyable, if a little different than the cocoa bombs many of the ECBP's I've tried have been.

2) I may have been experiencing a really 'off' tasting day, since I poured a bit of Angel's Envy afterward, and it seemed quite 'flat', which it isn't.   So, I shall revisit the ECBP 136 in a few days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.