Three quarks

Weller Availability

Canarse
On 10/27/2016 at 11:26 PM, T Comp said:

If a desire to get things correct makes me flaming, fighting, or stirred up...honestly I'm not. Okay, maybe a bit crotchety, learned behavior from the original crotchety one, who is not around enough lately to carry on the tradition ;).  Unlike many other internet message boards or forums, I like to think SB remains true to the statement of it founder and Boss to be "the internet's foremost source of bourbon information". For me, that is crucially important in face of both the secrecy and bullshit that taints the Bourbon world. Of course we also have one big ass playground here to celebrate the greatest spirit made, so carry on.

And hey, come to Bardstown for one of the longstanding SB gatherings and I'll no longer be some guy you don't know on the internet. Keep my politics to myself too, in and out of season :)

I would love to make a trip to Bardstown and meet many of this crew.  I get to KY once or twice a year, but usually in April or October.  Hopefully someday.

Richnimrod
3 hours ago, Canarse said:

I would love to make a trip to Bardstown and meet many of this crew.  I get to KY once or twice a year, but usually in April or October.  Hopefully someday.

Last weekend in April!    Hope to see you then, at the G.N.

Three quarks

Recently found 2x1.75Ls of W12. Very happy!! I was looking for laser codes to date them, but can't find any. Any other way to date them?

Three quarks
1 hour ago, Three quarks said:

Recently found 2x1.75Ls of W12. Very happy!! I was looking for laser codes to date them, but can't find any. Any other way to date them?

I found the codes. They are JAN 16.

Big Rick

On 11-3 while shopping at my "go to" Wine/spirits store the manager came up behind me while I was reading a wine label and stuck a bottle of 12yr old in my hand. When I 1st discovered this stuff it was $15.99.  This bottle cost me $35.99. It will probably be the last one I buy. I realize that supply and demand rules but I have to ask myself, Do I enjoy it that much more than Elijah Craig @ 25 bucks or Henry McKenna BIB @ 28 dollars? I guess I will have to do a comparison tasting and decide. Poor poor pitiful me! :P

Three quarks

WSR showed up on the shelf in WV for the first time in several years (at least that I have seen). It may have been in the back room previously, but the fact it was actually on the shelf, in a tagged spot, for anyone to purchase (and reasonably priced) is a great sign. The retailer must feel somewhat confident there will be more. I had to buy one just on principle. Still no OWA visible.

ThirstyinOhio

Weller 12 was added to Ohio's new liquor items list that they publish every month, but I'm not hopeful that it will actually hit the state.  They did the same thing with OWA about a year ago and nothing showed up.

Big Rick
On 11/10/2016 at 6:34 PM, Big Rick said:

On 11-3 while shopping at my "go to" Wine/spirits store the manager came up behind me while I was reading a wine label and stuck a bottle of 12yr old in my hand. When I 1st discovered this stuff it was $15.99.  This bottle cost me $35.99. It will probably be the last one I buy. I realize that supply and demand rules but I have to ask myself, Do I enjoy it that much more than Elijah Craig @ 25 bucks or Henry McKenna BIB @ 28 dollars? I guess I will have to do a comparison tasting and decide. Poor poor pitiful me! :P

To answer the question above,the answer is yes and I have bought a few since I posted this. Since the EC has dropped the age statement and the HM BIB is different with every barrel Weller 12  is more of a constant.

Cranecreek
13 hours ago, Big Rick said:

To answer the question above,the answer is yes and I have bought a few since I posted this. Since the EC has dropped the age statement and the HM BIB is different with every barrel Weller 12  is more of a constant.

It seems to me after reading your post, somewhat surprising that a "Wheater" (Weller) would make a satisfactory replacement for Elijah Craig.  They are a whole bunch different from one another.  Like in my case, I can appreciate both styles but my preference lies with Rye as the second grain.

FasterHorses

If I'm headed to Austin next month..is W12 going to be an easy find or is it still a rarity if you're walking in off the streets.

Cornfed12

Only seen WSR on the shelf twice, OWA once and W12 never. I have always bought from behind the counter or off a call list. Most around here go to auction at stores. Wsr easier to find but have been fortunate enough to have all three. (Illinois)

NDN98
3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

If I'm headed to Austin next month..is W12 going to be an easy find or is it still a rarity if you're walking in off the streets.

Still a rarity, in my opinion.  Texas is blessed with Weller availability, but you still rarely see Weller 12 or OWA just sitting on the shelves.  We only get a it a few times a year and most places usually keep it in the office.  The key is hitting the stores soon after the distributers have delivered it and asking for it.

• I like it 2

Lenient

Haven't seen a Weller of any kind except the one I got for my birthday, and apparently the person who gave it to me only got it because the Total Wine employee helping them mentioned Weller (green labeled bottle so I assume it's just the regular offering) It wasn't on the shelves, and I have never seen it on the shelves either. Sounds like you have to ask for it. 

Surtur
11 hours ago, Cornfed12 said:

Only seen WSR on the shelf twice, OWA once and W12 never. I have always bought from behind the counter or off a call list. Most around here go to auction at stores. Wsr easier to find but have been fortunate enough to have all three. (Illinois)

The problem here in Southern California, I see Weller all the time on the shelves in lots of 6+ each but they're usually going at $70 for WSR, $100 for OWA, and $200 for W12. I have a few stores that have WSR in stock often enough but Antique has been missing for about a year here, from the fair stores any way.

MTTS88

$243 here in Washington for W12. I had a clerk at my local Wine and Spirits try and talk me into it saying "great deal, basically PAPPY!!!" I left needless to say without buying. For whatever reason this one seems to have hit hysteria and it seems to be linked to the aforementioned "pappy" buzz word. 

Surtur
13 hours ago, MTTS88 said:

$243 here in Washington for W12. I had a clerk at my local Wine and Spirits try and talk me into it saying "great deal, basically PAPPY!!!" I left needless to say without buying. For whatever reason this one seems to have hit hysteria and it seems to be linked to the aforementioned "pappy" buzz word. 

I personally wouldn’t pay $243 for Pappy

• I like it 2

MTTS88
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Surtur said:

I personally wouldn’t pay $243 for Pappy

Depends on which one for me and it would simply be so I could drink it with friends knowing it wasn't $400 or $1000 or $15000. I've bought bottles north of $100 as is and drank the vast of majority of them with friends and family. But, on principle I'm against the idea of paying high dollar on the basis it'll be better due to it's cost or rarity. A lot of low cost bourbon's are nearly or just as tasty. For me OGD114 is immense and it's $26 a bottle. Depending on one's preference, some of the younger bourbon's are more tasty.

Edited by MTTS88