Bourbon Snack Food

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I find that there are certain snack-foods that I gravitate toward when sipping on bourbon. My current favorite is dry-roasted and salted almonds. The nuttiness of the almonds and the salt seems to perfectly complement just about any bourbon I am drinking. So anyway, I am interested in what the rest of you like to nibble on when savoring your bourbon?

I mentioned this before, but when I want a snack with my bourbon I lean towards Utz Unsalted Sourdough Special Pretzels. They taste great even though they are unsalted and they don't take anything away from whatever it is I am drinking at the time. Nor do they impart any unwanted flavors in my mouth detracting from bourbon bliss. smile.gif

Are these pretzels widely distributed? I don't think I have seen that brand before, but I would like to give them a try. If I found another unsalted sourdough pretzel do you think that would work, or is it something specific to this brand that you like?

Honestly Jeff, I'm not too sure if they are widely distributed. I know they sell them north of here in CT and south of here in VA. But when I went to KY I brought 2 bags with me! lol.gif For me, it's something about these that I really really like. I've tried a few other brands of unsalted pretzels and they sucked. Granted they were store brand ones but they had NO flavor at all, these are just sooo good for having no salt. Actually I even had these with salt and I didn't like them anywhere near as much. Here's a pic of the bag to aid you in finding them haha.

post-87-14489811369166_thumb.jpg

Usually, I eat nothing with my bourbon. I find that anything interferes with my tasting experience.

However, as I said in an earlier thread, I do occasionally like a small amount of peanut or pecan brittle candy with bourbon. I find the flavors to complement each other, nicely.

Tim

As the others have said, I don't normally eat anything when I'm enjoying a pour but what I may try sometime is my own oatmeal cookies. I follow the instructions on a Quaker Oats box but instead of raisons or nuts, I add maple syrup which gives it a sweeter taste. I tend to like to keep to themes evidently as I like to drink dark beer when eating at a restaurant that serves dark breads before the meal.

Dane

It depends on how serious I am with the bourbon session. If it's any kind of intricate study or side-by-side, I'll use oyster crackers as a palate cleanser. (You've probably seen them if you've been to a vineyard for wine tasting!) If I'm just relaxing with a drink, smoked almonds or any mixed nuts seem to go well with bourbon.

Yeah, I'm really just talking about snack-foods with casual bourbon drinking, not really with serious tasting. I agree with you that nuts seem to make a great companion to bourbon, IMHO. toast.gif

I'm about 50-50 whether or not I eat anything: if I'm thinking about the bourbon, I don't; if I'm reading, or browsing this forum, for instance, I usually do. That said, on those occasions when I do eat, it depends on the bourbon style what -- for example, with Old Fitz BIB, I instantly think chocolate, in particular, a Tootsie Roll. With lighter, fruitier bourbons, I like Pepperidge Farms Goldfish crackers or just a couple of slices of processed cheese.

I have a few favorites.

Chocolate covered Expresso beans, Peanut M&M's, honey roasted soybeans, cashews, dried fruits (particularly apricots) and rarely creamy cheeses like camembert or brie.(Weird but extremely rewarding)

It seems like lighter bourbons lead me to nuts and heavier ones lead me to chocolate. Peanut M&M's are right in the middle.

toast.gif

I recently found a great pairing of French dried peaches with my nightcap. They aren't fully dehydrated so they are soft and sort of melt in your mouth. I guess you just can't go too wrong with peaches and bourbon.

• 2 months later...

I second the chocolate-covered espresso beans (a weakness of mine). I would also recommend small bites of high-butter-fat dark chocolate. yum.gif

I second that motion Michael. Dark chocolate truffles in particular!

On the other end of the quality spectrum, Dark Milky Way candy bars actually go pretty well with bourbon too.

And salted peanuts in the shell. But a bourbon and peanut belch can be pretty nasty. Definitely a thing to be avoided lol.gif

chocolate, bourbon, beer -- and coffee (rich and thick)

Aren't those the primary food groups?

I always keep all plus the peanuts around!

I have a love for bourbon and a weakness for salted peanuts and they just seems to go together nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's a woody bourbon, I like a mixture of peanuts and raisins, sometimes with some plain M&M's thrown in. A modified trail mix, I guess. Occasionally, a caramel filled chocolate goes well.

• 1 month later...

Pop Corn ..........light on the butter and salt ..Mmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmm

Bill G. bowdown.gifdrink.gif

Still no sign of the unsalted pretzels, but I did find a tub of the salted sourdough "nuggets" at Sams's Club last week. I think you might be right that the salt is a bit of a distraction, but they are pretty good nontheless. Mark, why don't you bring a couple bags in September?

I've bought those same sourdough "nuggets" from Sam's Club too Jeff. They are good for regular snacking, but yeah, with bourbon the salt just isn't necessary. I'll be sure to bring a few bags of the unsalted ones to KY in Sept. then, not a problem. I should have brought a bag out last year but with all that good cheese (Thanks Marvin!) I didn't think they would go over too well. lol.gif

• 9 months later...

It is important to eat because one can get too light-headed without some food to "absorb" the ethanol. However I like to eat something (people have covered the bases in terms of what) before sampling bourbon, not during. Because as Tim and Dane said, the food can interfere with the taste of the bourbon. Or one can eat just after sampling. But either way, it is a good practice not to drink on an empty stomach or for too long, anyway.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta agree. Most bourbons lead me to cheese. I love a cheese by a company called Cabot's. It's called Hunters Seriously Sharp Cheddar. It's a white cheese. Yellow is not as good IMO.

Barry

I gotta agree. Most bourbons lead me to cheese. I love a cheese by a company called Cabot's. It's called Hunters Seriously Sharp Cheddar. It's a white cheese. Yellow is not as good IMO.

Barry

Cabot is based in my home state of Vermont, so I eat quite a bit of Cabot cheese. Quite good in my opinion, the only cheeses I've found that I like more are the local artisan-style cheeses... but those are usually 2x the price, and I'd rather spend that money on bourbon. falling.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.