Bourbon Snack Food

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Aged Gouda. At least 18 months old. This is a new find for me, but I can't believe I lived without it for this long. Goes nicely with the bottle of AAA 10 yr I just received.

/nothing like supermarket Gouda.

I don't know about with bourbon, but that stuff is great and not easy to find here. I discovered it in Amsterdam (where it's just called "cheese") and have gotten something close, but not right on, in some gourmet cheese shops here. In Amsterdam, my regular breakfast is a slice of that on a hard roll.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes a variety of cheeses are nice as a snack with bourbon but for the most part, if I feel like snacking, I'll drink beer.

I'm gonna try the pralines or almonds though.

Since I drink most of my bourbon neat, I do not prefer to have snacks with it. What we usually do at Bourbon Tastings is start out with good wine and snacks and then proceed to the bourbon tasting.

Joe usflag.gif

• 1 month later...

Had an interesting thing happen the other day.

I had a few sour candies and then about ten minutes later drank some Sazerac Rye. Unbelievable!! The sweet and fruit notes jumped out. Seems that opposites enhance complimentary flavors. It would seem logical that eating a sweet snack would diminish that effect. I sampled the Saz again. After a few minutes, I put a 1/2 teaspon of white table sugar on my tougue, let it dissolve and waited a minute or so. Voila', sweet gone, dry and hot notes jump out.

Very Interesting.

Have I done this experiment before. I think I did with wine.

Clever.gif

If I'm sipping on some bourbon and my stomach is in need of a quick refresher, usually I'll just fix myself a crunchy peanutbutter & molasses sandwich. smile.gif Gets the job done rather nicely, and the bourbon seems to like it too. grin.gif

I use to combinate bourbon (rye and Tennessee) with a lot of different snacks and food. Here is one of them. I cook a strong spicy salsa and make a tzatziki (Greek souse with yogurt and garlic) and I eat it with nacho chips. To this it taste extremely god with a mature bourbon. For example Johnny drum 15 (from Heaven Hill I think) or WT 12.

• 4 weeks later...

Pop Corn ..........light on the butter and salt ..Mmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmm

Bill G. bowdown.gifdrink.gif

I'll second that, but more specifically Kettle Corn. The caramel flavor is great with bourbon.

I find that food detracts from bourbon and usually avoid eating while drinking. Not always possible, of course. However, I did have some watermelon the other day. I was sipping Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old 90 proof and chasing it with a bite of water melon. Very interesting synergy.

Ed

I almost always enjoy my bourbon sans accompaniment. But I wonder if wine crackers would enhance. Wine crackers are small coated with I believe baking soda to bring out the flavors of the wine, especially used to cleanse the palate. I think I may try it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.