What Rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

Tucker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in Chicago on business yesterday and was surprised to find that my hotel was adjacent to a shopping center with a Binny's (Highland Park). I used to plan these things out but I'm not in buying mode right now, so yeah it really was a surprise. Anyway, picked up a High West Double Rye! finished for 2 years in a Barreled Boulevardier barrel. 

Edit: This is really, really good, and I should have added that 2 years in the barrel increased the proof from 92 to 107.4.

Edited by Tucker

While visiting family in Massachusetts, I visited Total Wine in Natick, MA. It's the most interesting liquor store that I've visited as of yet. While there, I spotted and reached out to a bottle of Sazerac Rye. After a momentary consideration of the scarcity of such bottles in the KC area, I had to grab the bottle behind it as well. It was the right thing to do.

I stopped at the Woodinville Whiskey distillery and bought their just-released-today 5-year 100% rye whiskey, aged in the large 53-gallon barrels.  Up to now they have been selling the 2-year micro-barreled version, which itself is very good.

Woodinville 5-Year Rye.jpg

2 hours ago, Prof_Stack said:

I stopped at the Woodinville Whiskey distillery and bought their just-released-today 5-year 100% rye whiskey, aged in the large 53-gallon barrels.  Up to now they have been selling the 2-year micro-barreled version, which itself is very good.

Woodinville 5-Year Rye.jpg

I did the same! (Though I'll say I never did like the micro barrel version). 

I'm happy for these guys to have 5yr old bourbon and rye aged in full size barrels out on the market. They will get better from here.

I did the same! (Though I'll say I never did like the micro barrel version). 

I'm happy for these guys to have 5yr old bourbon and rye aged in full size barrels out on the market. They will get better from here.

Very cool. I saw the Woodinville guys post on the interwebs somewhere that a line was forming the night before this rye was released...did either of you have to wait in line long to get a bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naw, I got there about 2PM, and there was parking in the lot.  I sampled the new rye and their 5-year bourbon first.  The latter has been out a while and I have an unopened one at home.  

Anyway, they still had numbered boxes of the rye, mine #309.   

10 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Very cool. I saw the Woodinville guys post on the interwebs somewhere that a line was forming the night before this rye was released...did either of you have to wait in line long to get a bottle?

Definitely not. I'm not sure why people camped out other than to be a part of something new and "be the first". As far as I can tell, the only reason to do it was to get a commemorative box signed by the distillers and Dave Pickerell (who was there in the morning). I only care about the whiskey so like the Professor I was there around 2pm as well and parked easily. I tried the rye first, thought it was good, and bought two.

10 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Follow up to say: I'm very glad that there's a bunch of people excited enough about WW to wait in line all night for releases like this. It's a good sign for the support of the local community that ensures the distillery will stay relevant, get more age on their products, and keep bringing us interesting new things.

14 hours ago, Prof_Stack said:

Naw, I got there about 2PM, and there was parking in the lot.  I sampled the new rye and their 5-year bourbon first.  The latter has been out a while and I have an unopened one at home.  

Anyway, they still had numbered boxes of the rye, mine #309.   

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Follow up to say: I'm very glad that there's a bunch of people excited enough about WW to wait in line all night for releases like this. It's a good sign for the support of the local community that ensures the distillery will stay relevant, get more age on their products, and keep bringing us interesting new things.

Good on you both for supporting a solid local distillery. It is pretty cool that they have developed such a following - certainly seems like they're doing things right and are honing their craft as they continue to learn and grow. Will be interested to hear some notes on the rye when either of you gets a little ways into your bottle.

30 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Good on you both for supporting a solid local distillery. It is pretty cool that they have developed such a following - certainly seems like they're doing things right and are honing their craft as they continue to learn and grow. Will be interested to hear some notes on the rye when either of you gets a little ways into your bottle.

I still owe you some samples for the ones you sent me a while back. I'll send you some of both the rye and bourbon.

I still owe you some samples for the ones you sent me a while back. I'll send you some of both the rye and bourbon.

Even better! Thanks, Steve

On 10/11/2016 at 10:20 PM, Tucker said:

I was in Chicago on business yesterday and was surprised to find that my hotel was adjacent to a shopping center with a Binny's (Highland Park). I used to plan these things out but I'm not in buying mode right now, so yeah it really was a surprise. Anyway, picked up a High West Double Rye! finished for 2 years in a Barreled Boulevardier barrel. 

Edit: This is really, really good, and I should have added that 2 years in the barrel increased the proof from 92 to 107.4.

I was in there yesterday, too.

Grabbed a couple of bottles of Michter's Barrel Strength Rye. Left a few back, but told a friend who went and grabbed one, too, right away

Tried it last month at a tasting at Untitled; local rep said to get it if I could find it. Feel lucky; they only had a few bottles.

C770F957-06E2-4CFD-A71D-DAA40764949B_zps

Edited by bigtoys

A HW mid winter nights dram act IV sc.2. I tried a pour of this while on vacation several months ago (act III) and enjoyed it enough to seek out a bottle this season. Good timing given the HW sale and not knowing how much more Barton stock they have for future releases.

Took advantage of a sale at Astor last week and picked up 2x HWRR and a RRSiB Rye, which we can't get here. Still waiting for them to ship.

Picked up a bottle of HWMWND, Act IV, Scene 1 in CT for $69.99 + sales tax (ugh!).  Passed on Act !V, Scene 2 up home for $84.99, tho'.  Weather is cooling down here in New England - almost time to break down and open her up (heh, heh).   :D

On 10/17/2016 at 9:46 PM, GrPeMi said:

Took advantage of a sale at Astor last week and picked up 2x HWRR and a RRSiB Rye, which we can't get here. Still waiting for them to ship.

Just saw that OLCC added WT RRSiB Rye...So I won't have to mail order it again...But at $65, grrrrrrrr. I like Pikesville a bit better anyway...

WT 101 sighting in KY!  I'd been so long, I'm still in a bit of shock.  Needless to say, a 1L made it home!  

I was so sick and tired of looking at those 81 proofers taking up all the space (and collecting dust)!   

My very awesome friends got me a bottle of High West Mid Winter for my birthday.  I couldn't be more happy. 

An I-65 pickup - Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye.  The Wild Turkey gift shop didn't have any, so this source was the next best.

Got a IL of WTR101.  Felt pretty lucky.

I kept seeing the 86 proof and asked the old owner if he could get the 101 rye. He called me today and he had managed to get 3 one-liters. I got one and he'll keep the others in the back for anyone else that asks for it. Says he won't put it on the shelf. 

Finally got HWMWND, Act 4 Scene 3 in at home - $65.99 OTD.  Can't wait to do a SBS with my Scene 1 from CT ($4 bucks more + sales tax!!!) in front of the first fire of the season!  To quote Flounder from Animal House just before the parade, "Oh Boy - this is gonna' be good!"   :wub:

15 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Finally got HWMWND, Act 4 Scene 3 in at home - $65.99 OTD.  Can't wait to do a SBS with my Scene 1 from CT ($4 bucks more + sales tax!!!) in front of the first fire of the season!  To quote Flounder from Animal House just before the parade, "Oh Boy - this is gonna' be good!"   :wub:

Holy crap - that's a great price.  $25 under MSRP.

It had been a while since I had any of that Lawrenceburg IN juice.  I picked up some Dickel Rye.  It did not disappoint.

Ran across one lone bottle of HWMND so felt obliged to snag it. I passed on two of these last year and regretted it as the bottle I had on hand was slowly finished. Glad to have found another.

Edited by Spade

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.