What Rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

Tucker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been curious about the Dad's Hat for a while  — at least partially since I grew up in PA but also because of the unique mashbill — and finally decided to order the three year since it's not distributed in GA. Really looking forward to this one (and the other bottles, some brandy and scotch, that are on the way — doesn't make sense to pay shipping for just one bottle of course!). 

Of course. Economics and all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up 2 bottles of MWND for $68 each. By far the best price I've seen. 

I left 2 on the shelf for good karma. But I'll be back in a few days to see if they're still there. 

Two bottles of Woodinville Microbarreled Rye.  Pictured with two friends picked up yesterday. [emoji4]
gd9_wrw_r22.jpg

That is one seriously dark whiskey.

2 minutes ago, BigRich said:

That is one seriously dark whiskey.

Yeah, it is crazy dark for something aged only a few years.  The barrel char and 8 gallon barrel must be what does it.  I haven't tried many rye whiskeys yet, but I like this one a lot more than Bulleit Rye.

Almost picked up a Redemption Rye tonight, then noticed the back label states" Aged for no less than one year". I remember it being ~2 years old a few years back. Anyone else notice this?

My favorite local LS proprietor called me to let me know he had a bottle of Thomas H Handy for me... A trip by his shop on my way home and $97 later my new friend was on his way home with me.

Stumbled into a bottle of Ritt354 on my drive to DE. I've stopped at this store multiple times because I know they have tons of EWSB2004 that is from an amazing barrel. I haven't had the 354 in a while, so I figured I'd buy that one. 

8 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

Stumbled into a bottle of Ritt354 on my drive to DE. I've stopped at this store multiple times because I know they have tons of EWSB2004 that is from an amazing barrel. I haven't had the 354 in a while, so I figured I'd buy that one. 

Hey Kyle, would you mind sharing the DE LS?  I have always wanted to try the earlier version of EWSB (2004 and before) but have never found them.  I promise to only grab a single bottle and leave the rest for those who come later.  You can DM is that is best for you.  Thanks and Merry Christmas, Rich. 

9 hours ago, Golzee said:

Not a purchase, but, a good friend gifted me a WTKS.  Excited to try it.

Just noticed this was in the wrong thread.  I guess we had a few too many last night.  Gonna pick up a baby saz later today.

Edited by Golzee

On 12/24/2016 at 7:09 AM, Golzee said:

Just noticed this was in the wrong thread.  I guess we had a few too many last night.  Gonna pick up a baby saz later today.

Haha, I was getting ready to ask if you had found some new rye we had never heard of.

Nice gift!

On 12/20/2016 at 8:01 PM, KyleCBreese said:

Picked up 2 bottles of MWND for $68 each. By far the best price I've seen. 

I left 2 on the shelf for good karma. But I'll be back in a few days to see if they're still there. 

No need to disclose source, but how do you explain a (relatively) popular rye selling during the holiday season so far below msrp and the usual price in other locations?  Inquiring minds, etc. etc.

Thx.  M.

3 hours ago, Madhatter said:

No need to disclose source, but how do you explain a (relatively) popular rye selling during the holiday season so far below msrp and the usual price in other locations?  Inquiring minds, etc. etc.

Thx.  M.

MWND is one of my staples, and I saw a wide range of pricing on it this year. I saw it for well over $100 and I saw it as cheap as $63.99. I didn't outright clear shelves, but bought a lot at the $63.99 price as I think that's one of the better deals in whiskey in the current market

4 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Thx.  M.

I have no idea how they price items, but I did buy a few. I've noticed that they price new items at lower prices for about a month. The MWND was new to the store, so maybe they see how new items sell at lower prices first. They originally had YKY for $59, it sold out and then they brought that back for $69.

19 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

I have no idea how they price items, but I did buy a few. I've noticed that they price new items at lower prices for about a month. The MWND was new to the store, so maybe they see how new items sell at lower prices first. They originally had YKY for $59, it sold out and then they brought that back for $69.

A friend of mine who works at a store here told me that they got two shipments of YKY and the distributor raised the price on the second shipment. No idea why. I doubt that has anything to do with a crazy low MWND price, though.

14 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Thx.  M.

Minnesota and NJ seem to be two locations where prices on some things are often relatively low compared to other states. Taxes are probably part of it (Just ask folks in Washington!) and perhaps other state specific rules contribute as well to how the distributors price it.

9 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

In northern NJ, I've seen quite a bit of MWND on the shelves which is a change from prior years, but prices have been consistently over $80.  So your $68 price is definitely an anomaly from what I have been seeing, and a wise decision on your part to buy a few.  I've bought a few Act 4, Scene 4 in that $80-$90 range, and am now well stocked on MWND for the foreseeable future.

7 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

In northern NJ, I've seen quite a bit of MWND on the shelves which is a change from prior years, but prices have been consistently over $80.  So your $68 price is definitely an anomaly from what I have been seeing, and a wise decision on your part to buy a few.  I've bought a few Act 4, Scene 4 in that $80-$90 range, and am now well stocked on MWND for the foreseeable future.

Just for additional pricing perspective -- I bought a bottle in Wisconsin for 69.99.  I should have also bought the one I left behind!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.