What Rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

Tucker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I attribute the lower prices in WI & MN to the beer culture that is decades ingrained.  Spirits, not so much.  So prices have to be lower to move the spirits stock.  Reasonable explanation?

14 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

I attribute the lower prices in WI & MN to the beer culture that is decades ingrained.  Spirits, not so much.  So prices have to be lower to move the spirits stock.  Reasonable explanation?

They do love their brandy up there, though.

16 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Minnesota and NJ seem to be two locations where prices on some things are often relatively low compared to other states. Taxes are probably part of it (Just ask folks in Washington!) and perhaps other state specific rules contribute as well to how the distributors price it.

Yes......taxes here are a rather sensitive subject.

14 hours ago, Madhatter said:

I don't know that we (MN) have less spirits ingrained in our culture. There certainly is a ton of competition for all rare whiskey. From a pricing perspective I do think that the competition aspect is a big factor. We do not have any sort of state owned liquor store system or even any state minimum pricing that other states have. So lack of state intervention and mostly free competition helps. We also had Total Wine come into our market over the last few years which has also helped pricing more for those same reasons combined with more economies of scale. 

I would be ecstatic to find a bottle of MWND for under $90, much less $64... Here in Oregon, the price was $117 this year, a $10 jump from last year. I have no idea why but consumers in Oregon gets majorly screwed on prices of all High West products. 

After seeing the prices here for MWND, I'll buy a few more if the store brings it back at $68.

Picked up a Lot 40, non 2012, release.

For $42+tax, easy choice.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I couldn't resist buying another liter of WT101.

Good call.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Bought my first bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye.

Hope you enjoy it.

Probably my favourite whiskey period.

ALways have one open @ home.

53 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Hope you enjoy it.

Probably my favourite whiskey period.

ALways have one open @ home.

Thanks.  I've read good things about it.  The only two rye whiskeys I have tried so far are Bulleit Rye and Woodinville Rye.  Looking forward to opening the HWRR.

56 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Thanks.  I've read good things about it.  The only two rye whiskeys I have tried so far are Bulleit Rye and Woodinville Rye.  Looking forward to opening the HWRR.

FYI, If you enjoy the Rendezvous,

The midwinter nights dram is basically rendezvous rye aged in wine barrels.  Gives it a nice fruity plum kinda taste.  If you enjoy the Rendezvous, MWND is a must find variation of it.

Comes out late fall (November-ish) each year, but I think there are still some bottles floating around.

22 hours ago, 0895 said:

FYI, If you enjoy the Rendezvous,

The midwinter nights dram is basically rendezvous rye aged in wine barrels.  Gives it a nice fruity plum kinda taste.  If you enjoy the Rendezvous, MWND is a must find variation of it.

Comes out late fall (November-ish) each year, but I think there are still some bottles floating around.

I was considering getting a bottle when I saw a few left at a store in the area.  But the price-point of $116.95 made me pass it up.  I may reconsider if I happen to be near the store and it's still available. :)

Picked up a bottle of Pendleton 1910 12 year old rye yesterday. Obviously, it's really Canadian Rye that's bottled and proofed down to 80 proof in Oregon. Has anyone tried this? Most reviews that I've seen are favorable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, GaryT said:

Picked up a JEP Barrel Proof Rye.

I would be curious what you think.  I have seen it on the shelf for around $35.  A MGP BP rye at that price is interesting.  I like the regular JEP Rye well enough.  It is not spectacular but decent enough to drink neat.  I think the missing element is the proof.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Saw the old WR MC Rye with the two 375ml bottles, the new cask and used cask for $100. Anyone had this? I know there isn't a MC that has been widely accepted as good. 

5 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Saw the old WR MC Rye with the two 375ml bottles, the new cask and used cask for $100. Anyone had this? I know there isn't a MC that has been widely accepted as good. 

Avoid.

anyone in the Louisville metro / S. IN area know of any SAOS rye bottles sitting on shelves anywhere? I'd be eternally grateful for a PM pointing me in a good direction.... Thanks!

Another pour last evening of Michter's Barrel Strength Rye convinced me to pick up a back-up today. The one I have open right now is 115.4 proof, and I picked up a 114 proof today. Granted, I'd like it a bit lower priced than $70, but I think it is excellent and priced "in the ballpark", and a nice counterpoint to the MGP barrel strength ryes.

28 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Another pour last evening of Michter's Barrel Strength Rye convinced me to pick up a back-up today. The one I have open right now is 115.4 proof, and I picked up a 114 proof today. Granted, I'd like it a bit lower priced than $70, but I think it is excellent and priced "in the ballpark", and a nice counterpoint to the MGP barrel strength ryes.

I'm a fan of this as well. It's the only Michter's product I'll buy due to my dislike of the company. The quality in this case won me over.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.