What Rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

Tucker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Didn't pick it up, but saw a Russels Reserve Single Barrel Rye for $63 this morning. Seemed kinda steep to me, without doing any research.

4 hours ago, emr454 said:

Didn't pick it up, but saw a Russels Reserve Single Barrel Rye for $63 this morning. Seemed kinda steep to me, without doing any research.

I just did the same thing, though the price here is $64.55.  It's received some good reviews, so I'm on the fence about picking one up down the road.

On 1/15/2017 at 3:41 PM, jeffrey r said:

Another pour last evening of Michter's Barrel Strength Rye convinced me to pick up a back-up today. The one I have open right now is 115.4 proof, and I picked up a 114 proof today. Granted, I'd like it a bit lower priced than $70, but I think it is excellent and priced "in the ballpark", and a nice counterpoint to the MGP barrel strength ryes.

Makes one heck of a good manhattan too!  albeit a bit expensive. Sometimes you gotta splurge. :)

It's too good to mix... ;)

Seems like the lower entry proof really makes a big difference with this one.  It really has notes of old Turkey for me, and that low E-P is what they have in common.

Found a Sazerac Rye for $31.49. Never bought one before and that's a great price around here if it's even on the shelf. 

Pikesville on sale for $35. Tried it in the parking lot and went back in for a second bottle!
IMG_1458.JPG

Would love to find it at that price.

I have walked past bottles of the Barrel Strength Pepper 1776 Rye a bunch of times and passed, but went into a store that had it for $30 bucks and couldn't resist, I generally like other young MGP ryes, Redemption, Dickel, Bulliet are all fine so why not try it at Cask Strength. My rationale was if it said Willett on it I probably would have paid $40.

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I have walked past bottles of the Barrel Strength Pepper 1776 Rye a bunch of times and passed, but went into a store that had it for $30 bucks and couldn't resist, I generally like other young MGP ryes, Redemption, Dickel, Bulliet are all fine so why not try it at Cask Strength. My rationale was if it said Willett on it I probably would have paid $40.

Funny.

I had the same experience about 2 weeks ago.

Have not tried it yet...but I do enjoy their "normal" common bottle of rye.

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

anyone know an approximate age on that one? Not many other MGP barrel proof ryes out there anymore, and leaves me wondering if it's really young.

4 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

anyone know an approximate age on that one? Not many other MGP barrel proof ryes out there anymore, and leaves me wondering if it's really young.

I have heard 2-3 years but I haven't seen any real statements online other than a Whiskey Wash review saying it was "Over Two Years"

5 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

The back label says "AGED OVER 2 YEARS" in tiny print, so I doubt it's any older than 2 years 11 months.

1776_bp_back_label.jpeg

6 minutes ago, amg said:

The back label says "AGED OVER 2 YEARS" in tiny print, so I doubt it's any older than 2 years 11 months.

That's an optimistic outlook! I doubt it's much older than 2 years and 1 day. 

But still, I'm a fan of JEP 1776 rye for what it is, so I'll certainly pick up a barrel proof variant if I ever see it. I'll just go in expecting something significantly rougher than the excellent SAOS or even the Redemption CS variant. 

8 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

That's an optimistic outlook! I doubt it's much older than 2 years and 1 day. 

But still, I'm a fan of JEP 1776 rye for what it is, so I'll certainly pick up a barrel proof variant if I ever see it. I'll just go in expecting something significantly rougher than the excellent SAOS or even the Redemption CS variant. 

It's pretty pale for a barrel proof and comes off really young as you would expect so for some context I poured a glass of the 2 Year Old Willett to compare it to. The Willett tastes noticeably younger to me with less barrel derived flavors and more raw spirit taste.  Obviously there can be other factors that can either speed up or slow down maturation, but to my taste buds if I were going to pick a 2ish year old barrel  strength Rye the Pepper would be preferable to the Willett. Maybe later in the week I'll crack my Willett 3YO for further context.   

• 2 weeks later...

Got seriously lucky. Local store did a lottery in December for BTAC and Pappy plus other limiteds and i ended up with something nice there. They recently go WLW and Handy in so did another lottery with the same group - and now a purty little bottle of Handy has come home with me. First BTAC in about 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

On 1/24/2017 at 8:18 PM, kevinbrink said:

It's pretty pale for a barrel proof and comes off really young as you would expect so for some context I poured a glass of the 2 Year Old Willett to compare it to. The Willett tastes noticeably younger to me with less barrel derived flavors and more raw spirit taste.  Obviously there can be other factors that can either speed up or slow down maturation, but to my taste buds if I were going to pick a 2ish year old barrel  strength Rye the Pepper would be preferable to the Willett. Maybe later in the week I'll crack my Willett 3YO for further context.   

Let us know on the willett 3 yo vs. the JEP rye. 

1 hour ago, knoxdocs said:

Will do I've been sick for the last week but the weekend is upon us.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, knoxdocs said:

Well I would guess these are about the same age give or take, the Willet 3 would probably be my pick there is a unique fruitiness in addition to some of the more pickle type spiciness that I associate with MGP Ryes, I don't know Willet's mash bill but it certainly seems up there in rye. That being said the JEP Barrel Proof shows pretty well in comparison and I am enjoying both of these more than the Maker's barrel proof I started my night with.  

WP_20170203_23_19_52_Pro.jpg

WT 81 Rye.  Never had any WT rye offerings, so, I decided to start their lineup at the bottom and move my way up.  Probably grab a WTR 101 next, or a RR 6/90 moving towards the single barrel rye at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

The lone whiskey in the group of rum and French brandy bottles I received this week. Thanks to the sharp eye of a fellow SBer I was able to get one that I had been looking for but was not able to find.

A single barrel bottling at 100 proof of pot distilled all malted rye aged in a used cask for 16 years.

58af272fd1e33_OldPotreromaltedrye16yearold.JPG.b278b4aea5f919b62961cfa183e9ad94.JPG

Now I can only hope that it doesn't manage to fall short of my probably too lofty expectations!

On 1/16/2017 at 7:36 PM, Journeyman said:

I just did the same thing, though the price here is $64.55.  It's received some good reviews, so I'm on the fence about picking one up down the road.

I just picked up another bottle of this last night at $65 which seems to be the normal price. When I picked up my first bottle of RRSB Rye I also got the RRSB Bourbon, which I wasn't a huge fan of (it was nice, but nothing special and I wouldn't pay $65 for another bottle), the Rye on the other hand I quite like.

I haven't opened it up yet, because I still have a bit left in the previous bottle, but I am a big fan of this stuff. It has a big, bold, lovely, complex flavor (sorry I am not the best with detailed tasting notes). It's a 51% "barely legal" rye so it doesn't have the same characteristics of all those MGP ryes on the market.

I would rank it a bit above the standard 10 year WhistlePig, and about as good, maybe a touch better than E.H Taylor rye, both of which are priced similarly. It has a somewhat similar flavor profile to Pikesville, which is another 51%, but I prefer RRSB by a good margin. I have a bit of love/hate relationship with Pikesville, sometimes I love it, sometimes I pick up something really funky in it that bugs me.

Edited by EarthQuake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.