What Rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

Tucker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a bottle of Bulleit Rye.  The dill flavor I get from it isn't always something I'm in the mood for, but I still enjoy it.

Based on the hype around here, I pulled the trigger on a Pikesville Rye.  Looking forward to making an old fashioned with this

Based on the hype around here, I pulled the trigger on a Pikesville Rye.  Looking forward to making an old fashioned with this

Hopefully you won't be disappointed, neat it ranks very high with me.

Just now, Thig said:

Hopefully you won't be disappointed, neat it ranks very high with me.

Great - the proof is right in my wheelhouse 

5 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Try some neat first.

Tried it both ways, and its very nice.  Worth $50 in my book given the proof.  The solid cork stopper is something I've never seen.  Seems a little flimsy, but unique

5 hours ago, jvd99 said:

The solid cork stopper is something I've never seen.  Seems a little flimsy, but unique

Only other modern bottle I can think of that does that is OFBB. I've had more stoppers fail due to the cork coming unglued from the top than from corks breaking.

didnt really care for the pikesville I  bought. I guess I'm one of those that has fallen to the MGP=rye. oh well. HH does a great job at 100 proof bourbon, but I think they fall short at rye and wheat bourbons. to each his own.

4 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

didnt really care for the pikesville I  bought. I guess I'm one of those that has fallen to the MGP=rye. oh well. HH does a great job at 100 proof bourbon, but I think they fall short at rye and wheat bourbons. to each his own.

Give it time. The barely legal ryes will eventually win you over.

Also, HH excels at wheated bourbon Unfortunately, Larceny (the most available one) isn't it.

I like the NON-MGP ryes, but I also like 4 Roses. My issue is not MGP=rye so much as 4R=bourbon.

If I try a 4RSB and RRBIB sbs, is hard to say which one tastes more like rye...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Added my second bottle of rye(yeah I'm still small time) today. Picked up a WT81 Rye which I hope to try side by side against my Sazerac Rye. 

Heckle all you want. I know Jim Murray caught grief for naming this whisky of the year in 2016. This bottle only set me back $23, so I am happy to see how it tastes to my palate.

2f1e023747e829085da94081c26dc21b.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Give it time. The barely legal ryes will eventually win you over.
Also, HH excels at wheated bourbon Unfortunately, Larceny (the most available one) isn't it.

Oh, how I long for one of these again, preferably in the ultra age range.

My biggest fear is that hey will never be replicated again.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Heckle all you want. I know Jim Murray caught grief for naming this whisky of the year in 2016. This bottle only set me back $23, so I am happy to see how it tastes to my palate.

I don't think you'll get any heckling. There was a lot of discussion on this product in the Foreign Whiskey forum when it came out:

2 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

2f1e023747e829085da94081c26dc21b.jpg

No heckling here. While nothing fancy, it's an easy sipper at a low price. Can't go wrong wit that. 

No heckling here. While nothing fancy, it's an easy sipper at a low price. Can't go wrong wit that. 

What they said. A lot of folks talked about this here before it was even named whiskey of the year. CR gets belittled, but the rye was liked by everyone who tried it. I finally relented and picked up a bottle after Murray chimed in though.

I like it OK, but I don't find myself reaching for it often. At the same or cheaper price point, I prefer Rittenhouse or Dickel.

I like the CR ok too, but agree with preferring Dickel.

So after emptying my WP 10 store pick last week, I thought long and hard about its replacement.  It might be one of the best ryes I've ever had.

So, yeah..... Now I have 6 of them.

No regrets, but my wallet is a little sore right now...

:)

IMAG1852_1.jpg

Lot 40 x3.

At normal retail of $59.99, I've been passing. But priced $20 off, back up the truck.

I still contend that this beats the pants of 90+ % of MGP rye today.

And most Canadian ryes also.

B

32 minutes ago, BFerguson said:

Lot 40 x3.

At normal retail of $59.99, I've been passing. But priced $20 off, back up the truck.

I still contend that this beats the pants of 90+ % of MGP rye today.

And most Canadian ryes also.

B

If it's the '12 release, I must agree with you.  It had gotten scarce, as well as inexpensive here (which I never understood with the very limited availability). 

Of late, it seems to be back in good quantities, but with increased prices.  I bunkered up on these years ago, but at that price...;) 

I need to try some lot 40, and some whistlepig. I just can never pass on something better at a bar, and I always find bottles I want more at those price points

I tried WP last night. I would have tried the lot 40 as well, but the restaurant seated us at a terrible table and I kept banging my knees on a cord of firewood under the table.

WP was good. It had a unique taste. White pepper, toasted marshmallow, and bubblegum. Just a little bit of musty oak. I didn't love it, but it was good.

I picked up a bottle of Ritt this past weekend. It was the first rye I bought, probably 18 months ago or so and haven't bought another until now. Happy hour starts here around 415PM CDT. Damage report to follow soon.

7 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I picked up a bottle of Ritt this past weekend. It was the first rye I bought, probably 18 months ago or so and haven't bought another until now. Happy hour starts here around 415PM CDT. Damage report to follow soon.

The Ritt turned out to be a fine Happy Hour pour over ice. At $25/750ml, it will be a "competitor"  for my attention against similarly priced bourbons when choosing early evening libations over the next few weeks. In the long run, I can see myself establishing a rotation of rye whiskies to buy and fit within my overall rotation.

I acquired a bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye last night.

Edited by Journeyman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.