What Rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

Tucker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up a MWND.  From what I gathered on here and elsewhere it sounded like it may be the perfect choice for when we open our xmas gifts. I saw it out and about last year, but hadn't experimented too much with rye and passed b/c of the price. This year I have been on a rye kick and I am really excited to crack this open.

unnamed-6.jpg

I picked up a MWND.  From what I gathered on here and elsewhere it sounded like it may be the perfect choice for when we open our xmas gifts. I saw it out and about last year, but hadn't experimented too much with rye and passed b/c of the price. This year I have been on a rye kick and I am really excited to crack this open.

unnamed-6.jpg

I haven't seen one in a long time but would love to pick up another one.

They were pretty abundant out here last year. Either that or just slow sellers because of the price point. I got this at a shop that marks up a bit, it was $86 some of the other shops out east had them in the $77 range.  I'm looking forward to cracking it open in a couple of weeks. 

Congrats Melissa. That's a fair price that you paid. HWMWND is fantastic, and a perfect holiday/winter dram. I have an Act 3 open, and an Act 2, 3 and 4 in reserve. I've passed up a few other Act 4's this fall, ranging from $80-$130. Enjoy it!

That makes me happy to hear. I am an absolute sucker when it comes to the psychology of the price point. I'll spend two hours in the car each and god knows how much gas to save $8  One of my favorite shops out east had it for $77, but my schedule would not permit the trip this week.  

That makes me happy to hear. I am an absolute sucker when it comes to the psychology of the price point. I'll spend two hours in the car each and god knows how much gas to save $8  One of my favorite shops out east had it for $77, but my schedule would not permit the trip this week.  

I would gladly pay $86 for MWND, you did good.

I picked up a bottle of Leopold Bros Maryland Style Rye last night. I haven't tried much from this distillery but I've been reading positive things about them for a while now, so thought it was worth giving them a shot. This appears to be a single barrel offering (there's a barrel # listed on the label) and is bottled at 86 proof.

Not a purchase, but I had this bottle of "Driftless Glen" gifted to me by Eric at Packages and More.  This is a young rye aged in 25 gallon casks.  It was selected by the "Wood Guy" who is a close affiliate of Doug Phillips (not sure if Doug had a hand in this selection or not).  122 proof and although only 20 months old, it has a dark rich color, and Eric reports it is a really nice rye whisky.  Haven't tried it yet but will soon, and report then on the results.

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

I ran across a 375ml bottle of Buffalo Trace White Dog, Rye Mash at a local LS. The store owner said it came in a case of twelve bottles with three different types of White Dog. He also said that it wasn't likely that he'd see anything like that for a long time since his store isn't one of the 800 lb retail gorillas that get the tightly allocated goods. It was priced just under $8 and 125 proof so I gave in to my curiosity and bought it. While its name is a mouthful, the name doesn't compare to the mouthful this stuff tastes like. This is some powerful whiskey, with lots of alcohol in the smell and in the taste. There is rye flavor as well, enough that I could believe that this is what the Sazerac Rye would taste like before it goes into the barrel.

This is an interesting drink that rye drinkers should try at least once to get perspective of what aging and bottling does for the flavor. I don't think I'll look for more bottles to put into my daily pour rotation nor will I get one for novelty's sake to put in the bunker but I'm glad I got the chance to sample it.

A few years ago I had that white dog and made the mistake of saving only a 50mL sample and trying to age it in a mini-barrel. I didn't have a good quality barrel or else I otherwise mis-managed the aging process because I lost it all (other than small weekly progress samples) to the angels. I'm not a fan of white dog myself, but I do like the side by side of a white dog next to the finished product for educational purposes.

12 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I ran across a 375ml bottle of Buffalo Trace White Dog, Rye Mash at a local LS. The store owner said it came in a case of twelve bottles with three different types of White Dog. He also said that it wasn't likely that he'd see anything like that for a long time since his store isn't one of the 800 lb retail gorillas that get the tightly allocated goods. It was priced just under $8 and 125 proof so I gave in to my curiosity and bought it.

$8! Not a bad deal as it was originally closer to $20 or so as I remember. But it has (and continues) to sit around in some places so perhaps a distributor is trying to get it out of their inventory.

I spent a birthday gift by overpaying ($300) for this year's THH. I wish I could have found it at retail or close but I couldn't. I had it once in a bar a couple years ago and absolutely loved it. I had this year's version last week and it was just as exquisite. I'll get many months of enjoyment out of this bottle and to me, it was worth it. I will still buy Pikesville 110 for $45 with a coupon, RRRSiB for $43 and WTR101 for $32 per liter and love them, but this was possibly my only shot at a THH this year. I waffled on the choice for a few weeks but I'm good with it and looking very much forward to opening it. The counter staff asked if I was going to drink it or collect it or sell it and I said I planned to drink it. I offered them a taste if they'd get a cup and they were shocked and declined. That was pretty fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Charlutz said:

The counter staff asked if I was going to drink it or collect it or sell it and I said I planned to drink it. 

Well this explains their pricing policy - the expectation that it would be flipped. It's the world we live in unfortunately.

I would not have paid that much, but I respect that you went in with eyes wide open after taking time to consider it. It is a fantastic whiskey and I know you will enjoy it. I love the stuff quite a bit myself.

Despite my consistently disappointing experiences with Wild Turkey products, I picked up a Russell's Reserve single barrel rye.  I don't think it stands up very well to the MGP rye or even Sazerac in flavor, but it's a nice rye anyway, a good deal better than the last WT 101 rye I bought, and the 104 proof is right. 

At any rate I like it better than Pikesville and Rittenhouse, which both seem flavorless to me.

On 12/13/2016 at 8:50 PM, Charlutz said:

I spent a birthday gift by overpaying ($300) for this year's THH. I wish I could have found it at retail or close but I couldn't. I had it once in a bar a couple years ago and absolutely loved it. I had this year's version last week and it was just as exquisite. I'll get many months of enjoyment out of this bottle and to me, it was worth it. I will still buy Pikesville 110 for $45 with a coupon, RRRSiB for $43 and WTR101 for $32 per liter and love them, but this was possibly my only shot at a THH this year. I waffled on the choice for a few weeks but I'm good with it and looking very much forward to opening it. The counter staff asked if I was going to drink it or collect it or sell it and I said I planned to drink it. I offered them a taste if they'd get a cup and they were shocked and declined. That was pretty fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At retail I might think of offering them a taste, but at 3x retail? Sorry fellas... 

You are a much more generous man than I Charlie.

Enjoy it, it is indeed exquisite. Shared mine with my son-in-law Tues night. Good times.

JT

I've not been able to bring myself to spend $63 for CEHT rye but had a 2 oz. pour in a local whiskey and BBQ bar last night for $15. I liked it enough that it moved the needle to the 'buy' column. Bonus: a guy from out of town shooting the bs with me and my buddies bought us a round so I had a second pour and the bartender was a little heavy handed on that second pour. 

I've not been able to bring myself to spend $63 for CEHT rye but had a 2 oz. pour in a local whiskey and BBQ bar last night for $15. I liked it enough that it moved the needle to the 'buy' column. 

Nothing wrong with that. CEHT rye is good--quite good to be frank. Sure, it should be about $10 cheaper, but sometimes ya gotta pay up for good whiskey. I know a lot of people are one and done with the CEHT on the value proposition, but I consider the CEHT a staple in my rye collection, and one I will usually keep around.

Picked up a 3 year old Willett rye yesterday.  Had the 4 yr version a few years ago and although a little harsh neat, I think it made some of the best Manhattans I've ever had.  Hope the 3yr is similar.

It shouldn't be the same. That 4yo from a few years ago was an MGP distillate.  This 3yo is likely a Willett distillate. 

20 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

It shouldn't be the same. That 4yo from a few years ago was an MGP distillate.  This 3yo is likely a Willett distillate. 

Thanks for info.  I just looked at the bottle and the 3 yr does say that it was distilled by Willett.  Still looking forward to it though.  Interested to see if this one will be more regularly available then the previous releases.

2 hours ago, bigtoys said:

Lock Stock & Barrel 16 yr old

What do you think of it? I absolutely love it. Of the Alberta distillates I've had, this one is either my favorite, or it's right there with WPBH 2014. I think it is significantly better than WP 15yo release this yet. I'm also a big fan of Cooper's HVSRW, which has just a wee bit of LS&B in it. Every time I pour a dram of LS&B, I just sit there and regret that I don't have dozens of bottles. 

And LS&B is part of what is shaking up to be a great December. I've decided to wait for xmas eve to break open AMwND. That bow is the extent of my seasonal decoration. 

I'll call this photo, The Three Ryes, Man.

20161219_013203.jpg

I've been curious about the Dad's Hat for a while  — at least partially since I grew up in PA but also because of the unique mashbill — and finally decided to order the three year since it's not distributed in GA. Really looking forward to this one (and the other bottles, some brandy and scotch, that are on the way — doesn't make sense to pay shipping for just one bottle of course!). 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.