Woodford Reserve Brandy Finish

Thig
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yeah, that has been my thought all along. But it would be nice to know. I don't really know WHY I want to know.

But I do! B)

Well, if it helps... we all know why you want to know!  :lol:

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yeah, that has been my thought all along. But it would be nice to know. I don't really know WHY I want to know.

But I do! B)

Because we're nerds and we need to know things!

For what it's worth, Woodford Rye tastes Woodfordy to me which is another way of saying it tastes Old Forestery. 

I'm sure that helps a lot:)

Passed on one of the Brandy Finished today for $90. Too many conflicting reports for me to pull the trigger.

Passed on one of the Brandy Finished today for $90. Too many conflicting reports for me to pull the trigger.

That's the best price I've seen. I really like it, but have several bottles already. If I didn't, I'd jump at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing that scares me most is the reports of TCA issues. When you hear multiple reports, it suggests a systemic thing, and that scares me in relatively pricey bottles.

5 hours ago, TexanBrad said:

The thing that scares me most is the reports of TCA issues. When you hear multiple reports, it suggests a systemic thing, and that scares me in relatively pricey bottles.

As far as I know, your comment is the first mention of it any of us here have heard.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a bit in a bar last night. It was good. The brandy finish definitely came through, but it wasn't sickly sweet. Brandy isn't as different as vermouth or port, so I'm guessing that's why it isn't as overpowering.

I don't think I'll pick up a bottle, but I did enjoy it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On 3/3/2017 at 2:10 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Don't suppose you got any insight on if the rye has any Woodford in it, despite the name, or if it is in reality all B-F distillate?

WR email re: WR Rye source arrived today -

"Woodford Reserve Rye is a batching of Versailles (Woodford Reserve Distillery) and Shively produced distillate-- all of which is aged in Woodford County." 

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

WR email re: WR Rye source arrived today -

"Woodford Reserve Rye is a batching of Versailles (Woodford Reserve Distillery) and Shively produced distillate-- all of which is aged in Woodford County." 

thanks! Interesting that they are doing a Woodford sourced rye mashbill. Can't imagine it could be the 100% rye of the Masters Collection since the final rye is reportedly 53% rye.

As always it would be of interest to know how much of each is used. And of course to taste the all Woodford rye portion on its own with a decent amount of age on it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.