Whiskey workers strike at 2 Beam distilleries in Kentucky

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanx for posting this, Joe.     I saw something about this yesterday, and wondered what the deal was.     Beam, for all of it's wealth (the other side of the scarcity coin), doesn't seem concerned about the condition of the 'family' that produces all this wealth for the top-bananas.     Or has Corporate made the decision to break the union, and wanted the strike for that purpose?    It'll be interesting to see who blinks, and how long it takes.....

Without knowing the details I can't pick a side in this fight but hope they get it worked out soon. Hate to hear of unrest in the happiest place on Earth!

I'd be interested in hearing more of the details from Beam as well.  Seems most strikes are about losing hours/benefits/jobs.  If these folks are getting overtime and working 60+ hours a week (which I would assume means their paychecks are quite a bit above the norm?), seems they would welcome having Beam is supplement labor with temp help.  IF this is all a temporary situation (like awaiting additional automation or expansion, etc).  If Beam is giving the appearance of not adding more full-time jobs through temps and longer hours for what is likely an extended period of time, I can see their beef.  But on the other hand - if their contract is such that Beam can't add more full-time jobs without guaranteeing them for some period of time which may exceed their need . . .

These things are typically more complicated than they appear.  But I'm with Brian in hoping they get it worked out soon!

Well, that's good news for both sides.   .... As well as for us Bourbonians who only want everybody to get along and keep churning out great Bourbon!

Oh, how the worm turns...not too long ago, the industry was on its arse, and folks lost their jobs because there wasn't enough work to do.  Now, when biz is good, they're worked so hard they say "no mas".  Interesting times.  

Great News!    The overwhelming majority voting to accept the new terms, indicates the one and only issue has been resolved to the satisfaction the union.    Here's hoping hiring more 'permanent full-time' workers is sustainable long term, and a sudden down-turn doesn't result in layoffs.   I'd imagine that's unlikely as long as the firm doesn't 'over-hire'.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.