Quality bourbon outlet in San Fransisco

Bamber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All,

Am traveling to San Francisco from Bristol, UK next week and was hoping to pick up some good bourbon. Probably a long shot, but anything from antique collection would be great, but anything that is rare in UK would be good too.

Thanks,

Sion.

My guess is that you would only get something from the antique collection at a very high premium (my wife just traveled there and found an available FRLESmB 2016 for $400).  I don't know what's available in the UK, but I've gotten some things from Cask before (SAN Francisco seems to have Rock Hill Farms pretty available). They also have a bunch of store selections to choose from. 

Welcome in advance to SF! Unfortunately JoeTerp is correct that the BTAC is very difficult to come by here. Most stores hold their limited edition bourbons for their best customers, or they mark them up to very high prices (or both). The other issue is that allocations to liquor stores seem to have decreased over the past few years as an increasing number of bars and restaurants request LE bottles. The good news about this is that although you may not be able to buy a bottle, you can probably try them in a bar or restaurant. The prices for a pour of such offerings varies widely ($20-$50), though, so I recommend just asking for prices whenever you see LE bottles you're interested in trying.

Besides the big ticket LE bottles (BTAC, Van Winkles, 4RLE), I'm not sure what bourbons are hard to find in the UK, so if you list a few things you're looking for then we'll be able to guide you a little better.

You're not going to find anything limited on a shelf for a non ridiculous price.  Cask, K&L, and PlumpJack have good stock and some nice store picks of Four Roses, Eagle Rare, and others.

D&M Wine and Liquor is a favorite of mine, though I haven't been in a few years.  It's at or near the corner of Sacramento and Filmore.  

50 minutes ago, Gentleman Racer said:

D&M Wine and Liquor is a favorite of mine, though I haven't been in a few years.  It's at or near the corner of Sacramento and Filmore.  

And at least until recently (I think it is now sold out) were selling their own bottle of sourced 8yo "Tennessee" whiskey (presumably Dickel) that was finished for an additional year in local port barrels and called naturally enough "Sacramento & Fillmore".

I think I will have to pop that open this week if I get a chance and see if it was a gem or a bust. Hey, I could get lucky!

19 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

And at least until recently (I think it is now sold out) were selling their own bottle of sourced 8yo "Tennessee" whiskey (presumably Dickel) that was finished for an additional year in local port barrels and called naturally enough "Sacramento & Fillmore".

I think I will have to pop that open this week if I get a chance and see if it was a gem or a bust. Hey, I could get lucky!

Very curious to hear your notes on that one! I'm surprised at how quickly that one sold out, considering how long barrel picks seem to linger her sometimes. I never did get around to buying a bottle for myself.

But yes, I will 'third' the recommendation for D&M - they're a solid shop and always seem to have something interesting. Maybe if you tell them that you came from the UK and that all the folks on here recommended their shop, they'll find something good to send you home with.

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like you are in very much the same boat as us.

Van Winkles, and BTAC are impossible to get here outside of auction sites. Shame as used to enjoy the Van Winkle bourbons regularly and downed countless bottles of the rye, 10yo 107 and 15yo over the years.

I'll look up the shops you recommended and just pick something off the shelf.

Like the OP, I am on vacation in San Francisco this week.  Went bourbon hunting today and made a couple of decent pickups on some bourbons I can't find back home.  I will be returning with an ECBP batch 12, a 1792PF, and a HWMWND.  Luckily, I have a very understanding wife that rode the bus around the city all day with me going to liquor stores.

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2016 at 3:26 PM, stickly said:

Like the OP, I am on vacation in San Francisco this week.  Went bourbon hunting today and made a couple of decent pickups on some bourbons I can't find back home.  I will be returning with an ECBP batch 12, a 1792PF, and a HWMWND.  Luckily, I have a very understanding wife that rode the bus around the city all day with me going to liquor stores.

Just saw this post, but congrats on some good finds. I also want to applaud you for taking the bus around the city - there's no other way to get the full SF experience!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.