Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stagg Jr. Runs between $50 and $60 around here, while ECBP runs $60 to $70, but mostly closer to $70. The places that charge at the upper point of those ranges usually have both of them sit on their shelf for a while depending on where they are located. However, I know one shop that has had Stagg Jr. on the shelf for months at $50. I've bought several, but the row of bottles on the shelf entices me every time I go in...must resist buying more of the same batch. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/24/2016 at 6:47 PM, Bbstout said:

Is the boom over? At my local total wine there have been 4 bottles of jr sitting on the shelves for around a month. It's taking every ounce of will power not to buy these.

Boom is not over. There's just plenty of Stagg Jr. out there.

I'm about due to buy another bottle of this. Anyone done a SBS with batches 5/6/7? Saw the 132.5 on the shelf for $52. Not in a particular rush so I can search out one of the other batches if I need to. I've had 3 and 4 and have an unopened 4 I want to save. Thanks!

I have batches 5, 6 and 7 but I haven't done a SBS since I've only opened batch 5, which is very good. I like batch 5 so much that I even bought a few more at $50 each. If I can find another batch 7 at that price, I'll probably pick up another since I've seen quite a few favorable comments about it. I haven't actually seen much discussion of batch 6, so I'm curious about it since it is a bit hotter than batch 5 and 6.

• 1 month later...

I've had the 130 proof (Not sure what batch) opened for around a month. It really has gotten smooth with cocoa and coffee notes. Feeling lucky I have 4 bottles of this release and was able to purchase for under $50 as this won't last long with the current crazy price hikes.

15 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I've had the 130 proof (Not sure what batch) opened for around a month. It really has gotten smooth with cocoa and coffee notes. Feeling lucky I have 4 bottles of this release and was able to purchase for under $50 as this won't last long with the current crazy price hikes.

That's the current batch (#7)

Stagg, Jr. (Batch 6) is $38.99 OTD and available around here.  ECBP is $49.99 OTD when it show up on the shelves.  Haven't seen Batch 7 of the Jr. yet, tho'.  HTH - ;)

Stagg Jr is almost double the money of ECBP here in Germany. ECBP is available alot more widely too. Too bad I prefer Stagg Jr...????

Stagg Jr, when you can find it, is at the lowest about $50 ($49.99) here.  A few months ago it was everywhere.  Now it is nowhere to be seen.  Saw it as high as $99 in a retail store.  ECBP is a unicorn.  If you do find it expect at least $65.

When everyone mentions OTD (out the door?) prices does that mean there is no tax added and that is the exact price you pay?  Missouri has sales tax that varies by municipality.  Anywhere from 6-10% or so depending on where you are.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

When everyone mentions OTD (out the door?) prices does that mean there is no tax added and that is the exact price you pay?  Missouri has sales tax that varies by municipality.  Anywhere from 6-10% or so depending on where you are.

Yup - we don't have a sales tax on wine, spirits or beer here in Taxachusetts (unlike, say, the State of Washington).  But we pretty much tax everything else!   :(   

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Stagg, Jr. (Batch 6) is $38.99 OTD and available around here.  ECBP is $49.99 OTD when it show up on the shelves.  Haven't seen Batch 7 of the Jr. yet, tho'.  HTH - ;)

$38! I hope your backing the truck up.

The best price I can find on Stagg Jr around me is $49.99 plus tax. The best price on ECBP I've seen is $59.99 plus tax. The Stagg Jr is readily available at many stores from $49.99 to $59.99, but the ECBP is hit and miss at prices up to $79.99. I let it sit at the higher prices, but occasionally I'm able to find it at prices closer to $60...like today. [emoji106]

Just poured out a couple pours (over a couple hours) from a low-fill bottle of STagg Jr. that's been taking up space for too damned long.     Still a really big pour left (or two little ones); but I'm far enough in the bag for today, after a couple other drams before).      I like this one with a cube.    Sweeter than some of the others after the cube does it's thing.     134.4... I have no recollection which batch that is.    Enjoyed it quite well.    Why the heck has it been sitting so long?????

Ther are a couple of places I go that have it for $39.99 and $46.99. Hence why I passed on the one yesterday for $69.99, even though it was a Barch # 3. :mellow:

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

Stagg Jr, when you can find it, is at the lowest about $50 ($49.99) here.  A few months ago it was everywhere.  Now it is nowhere to be seen.  Saw it as high as $99 in a retail store.  ECBP is a unicorn.  If you do find it expect at least $65.

The Stagg JR gets quarterly deliveries I believe.  The week it hits, you gotta get out and look hard and you'll find it for $43-$50.  But it doesn't last long.

The ECBP never makes it to shelves at any stores around here except total wine.  And they usually just put all 3 bottles on the shelf and some lucky person buys all 3 at once.

I like them both, but prefer the ECBP.

• 3 months later...

Haven't opened up a Stagg Junior in quite a while. So  I reached way back for a batch number two, very good.  I have not bought a batch  sense number five, what are they up to now on batch numbers? 

IMG_1345.thumb.JPG.c53b3b9f9e557011f135ed24b2da1c61.JPGIMG_1346.thumb.JPG.1109ff5bddb9106c0de14a164d251290.JPG

Very little of it in east Texas, but 2 states over, I've found a string of stores that still have shelves full of batch 4 and 5. Already have 2 of batch 5, and I'll be picking up a couple of the batch 4 in a week. The LS owner was telling me that his customers just aren't interested. 

Haven't opened up a Stagg Junior in quite a while. So  I reached way back for a batch number two, very good.  I have not bought a batch  sense number five, what are they up to now on batch numbers? 
IMG_1345.thumb.JPG.c53b3b9f9e557011f135ed24b2da1c61.JPGIMG_1346.thumb.JPG.1109ff5bddb9106c0de14a164d251290.JPG

Batch #7 at 130 proof is the last I've seen. I'm sure a batch #8 will be released soon if it hasn't been released already.

Is CEHTBP the same mash bill as stagg Jr? If so what's the difference in age.

3 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Is CEHTBP the same mash bill as stagg Jr? If so what's the difference in age.

Yes, mash #1.  Not sure on ages, though.  I've always thought of Stagg Jr as Buffalo Trace BP so that'd put it at the same 6-8 year range.  But I've heard nothing definitive.

So you could say that CEHTBP is also BT BP. Would the premium price add a couple years of age. Has anything been hinted at as far as age statement.

7 hours ago, Bbstout said:

So you could say that CEHTBP is also BT BP. Would the premium price add a couple years of age. Has anything been hinted at as far as age statement.

Buffalo Trace claims "nearly a decade"

I don't know about the age difference, but they are certainly blended for different flavor profiles, at least in my limited experience.  I've only had batch 1 of EHTBP because I found that I strongly preferred Stagg Jr.  If I had to guess, I would guess that Stagg Jr. is overall younger but incorporates some older or at least oakier barrels. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.