Three quarks

Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style

Three quarks   
Three quarks

I found one of these. Is it at least somewhat comparable to bourbons such as Bookers, Stagg Jr., etc. Or is it more hype?

Thig   
Thig
I found one of these. Is it at least somewhat comparable to bourbons such as Bookers, Stagg Jr., etc. Or is it more hype?

You tell us, I Iooked for one today with no luck.

Three quarks   
Three quarks

I will eventually, but I figured others might have some opinions on it.

jaxn slim   
jaxn slim

It's definitely comparable to Booker's and Stagg Jr.  I prefer Booker's and Stagg Jr, though.  No matter how many times I try to get into the many Old Forester releases, I just can't get into any of them.  It's no slouch, though, and I can see how it would appeal to a lot of people.

Edited by jaxn slim

flahute   
flahute

It's really good.  Much better than the previous two releases. 

Richnimrod   
Richnimrod
4 hours ago, flahute said:

It's really good.  Much better than the previous two releases. 

Boy!   Truer words were never spoken, Steve.    The first two were ... how do I find the right words? ... Lousy?    Yeah, that's pretty close; but not entirely useful.   Maybe; waay to costly, plus lousy.   Yup. 

Gotta wonder.    If this bunch can bottle OF Sig, at half the price, how do they purposely put the first two of these in this series on shelves?

dcbt   
dcbt

Is this series a one-off, or will it be on-going?

Canarse   
Canarse

Hmmm...I passed on a bottle of this recently based upon the previous releases in this series.  I will give it a try if I see it again.

PaulO   
PaulO

I see the other releases still hanging around.  I would like to find more OF Sig (only if I knew it was a good batch).     

Three quarks   
Three quarks
8 hours ago, dcbt said:

Is this series a one-off, or will it be on-going?

I thought it was limited, but according to Whisky Advocate it is "widely available." 

Edited by Three quarks

dcbt   
dcbt
1 hour ago, Three quarks said:

I thought it was limited, but according to Whisky Advocate it is "widely available." 

But is this the one and only release of each?  Or are these now a part of their ongoing portfolio?

Three quarks   
Three quarks
39 minutes ago, dcbt said:

But is this the one and only release of each?  Or are these now a part of their ongoing portfolio?

Good point. Not sure. But some press releases suggest the OF "Whiskey Row" series releases are limited.

I saw a good review of the 1920 on another blog, which suggested a very unique and substantial profile. The description made me think of some EHT I have had. Looking forward to trying it.

BF could have done a better job with the label. It reminds me of the "Genuine Counterfeit Cuban" cigars that JR sells.

Edited by Three quarks

Tony Santana   
Tony Santana

I really like it.  Classic bourbon profile, bold taste, I get a hint of smoke.  It doesn't drink as high as its proof.

kjbeggs   
kjbeggs

It's in a whole different class than the first two releases of the series (which were in the "awful" to "meh" categories).

This one is really good, with a great flavor profile, and it's an easy drinker for the proof.

I only grabbed one bottle, as I didn't want to deny others, but the next time i see it, i'll definitely grab more.

Not sure how limited any of these truly are, but there are plenty of the first two releases becoming dusties on shelves around here.

Three quarks   
Three quarks
23 hours ago, dcbt said:

By the way dcbt, I love the picture of your dog. I smile whenever I see it.

MOwhisky4me   
MOwhisky4me

I was able to find a bottle of OF1920 at my favorite local shop today. Anxious to break it open and give it a try!

Need to polish off a few open bottles on the bar first though. First to go is a bottle of OFSig... A very good bottle of OFSig. For those of you who have had some bad experiences with Signature lately, this bottle was a recent purchase so don't give up on OFSig just yet!

kcgumbohead   
kcgumbohead
22 hours ago, MOwhisky4me said:

I was able to find a bottle of OF1920 at my favorite local shop today. Anxious to break it open and give it a try!

Need to polish off a few open bottles on the bar first though. First to go is a bottle of OFSig... A very good bottle of OFSig. For those of you who have had some bad experiences with Signature lately, this bottle was a recent purchase so don't give up on OFSig just yet!

Maybe keep a sample as a fun SBS with the 1920?

Three quarks   
Three quarks
23 hours ago, MOwhisky4me said:

Need to polish off a few open bottles on the bar first though.

I am in the same boat as MO and I only keep but 2 -3 open at a time. Plus, I found some W12, so the 1920 will have to wait a while, but I am looking forward to it, particularly given the reviews.

Edited by Three quarks

lcpfratn   
lcpfratn

I may have to give the 1920 a try even though I still think all of these new OF releases are overpriced. I'm finding all three of the new releases in large quantities in shops all over town along with the base OF 86 proof stuff. The hard thing to find is OF Signature, but when I do, it's usually priced in the low $20 range. I don't know how they can justify the price on the 1897 BIB, when Signature is just as good if not better for half the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTNBourbon   
MTNBourbon

Would like to try this one, if it was around here.

Kyjd75   
Kyjd75

I am midway through a bottle of this, and all I can say is that it is very good bourbon.  I have no ability to describe bourbon using all of those fancy terms others use, so I can only say what I taste, and it is darn good stuff.  Probably going back for another bottle next week.

garbanzobean   
garbanzobean

I keep thinking about picking a bottle of this up, but I've only seen it for about $70.  For some reason I thought MSRP was around $50.  I am in if I am only paying double over OFSig, but triple is a no.  Hopefully I'll find it for a bit cheaper eventually.

lcpfratn   
lcpfratn
I keep thinking about picking a bottle of this up, but I've only seen it for about $70.  For some reason I thought MSRP was around $50.  I am in if I am only paying double over OFSig, but triple is a no.  Hopefully I'll find it for a bit cheaper eventually.

It sells for right around $60 in my area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jsrudd   
jsrudd

I had written this one off given the previous two releases of this series, but it seems I should give it a second look. The price, however, does give me pause - especially for a NAS release.  

Richnimrod   
Richnimrod

I opened my new one up the other day, and wasn't blown away by the wonderfulness of it; but it's clearly a better Bourbon than the first two in the 'Whiskey Row' series.     I definitely wouldn't go above MSRP on this, though.