Three quarks

Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style

BigPapa
54 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I opened my new one up the other day, and wasn't blown away by the wonderfulness of it; but it's clearly a better Bourbon than the first two in the 'Whiskey Row' series.     I definitely wouldn't go above MSRP on this, though.

Wait a week or so and it opens up to a great pour. 

stickly

Saw this at my local liquor shop today...for $60.  Ugh.

Three quarks

$67 here, but I think SRP is supposed to be $60.

Richnimrod
13 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Wait a week or so and it opens up to a great pour. 

That is my hope, and my intention, sir; but thanx for the advice, and for the encouragement. 

I'm hopeful it'll be at least somewhat improved with some air.     I poured off about 5-ounces into a smaller bottle so, with a fair amount of air, combined with a week or so... fingers crossed!

Vosgar
18 hours ago, jsrudd said:

The price, however, does give me pause - especially for a NAS release.  

Exactly what I thought today when I passed on a bottle for $66.

BigPapa
On 10/31/2016 at 8:13 PM, Richnimrod said:

That is my hope, and my intention, sir; but thanx for the advice, and for the encouragement. 

I'm hopeful it'll be at least somewhat improved with some air.     I poured off about 5-ounces into a smaller bottle so, with a fair amount of air, combined with a week or so... fingers crossed!

Let me know what u think in a week or so.

Richnimrod
14 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

Let me know what u think in a week or so.

Will do.    Probably this weekend or early next week.    I'll post here.

mbroo5880i

I picked up a bottle several weeks ago when it first showed up in Indy.  I really like it.  I think it is a fair value at $50 which is what I paid.  I thought it was limited but then I ran across several cases at Costco a few weeks back.  They still had several cases when I stopped in yesterday.  Costco has it for $51.99.

LCWoody

I've had one open for a few weeks now, and it's a good bourbon. I think it's what Woodford R. would be if brought up to this proof. 

flahute
On October 26, 2016 at 8:23 PM, dcbt said:

But is this the one and only release of each?  Or are these now a part of their ongoing portfolio?

Heard from Chris Morris today that the Whiskey Row series is here to stay.

dcbt
10 hours ago, flahute said:

Heard from Chris Morris today that the Whiskey Row series is here to stay.

Good to know, thanks Steve.

mosugoji64

Tried the BIB again today after a few weeks of air time and it has improved a bit. Most of the astringency is gone and the flavor has improved. Still not sure that it was worth the price, but it is better. I'm now firmly in the "Try before I buy" camp with BF releases but look forward to giving 1920 a chance if I can find a pour.

BigPapa

I like how it is sugar sweet for the 1st second of entry and then it goes dry, woody and spicy. Then finished with vanilla and caramel .

great viscosity also

Edited by BigPapa

As someone who has never really enjoyed any Forester, I tried this at a friends house and immediately went out and bought a bottle.  I found it to be a refreshingly different pour from what I normally drink (4roses, Buffalo Trace).

This higher proof brings all out kinds of interesting flavors for me, especially the smoke and tobacco characteristics.

Tried side by side with last years birthday, I actually prefer the 1920.

Again, I'm not by any means a fan of Forester.

Definitely expensive @ $55-60 / bottle, but I feel like I got my moneys worth...especially in this changing market era, where the price to quality level keeps increasing.

I've had much worse stuff for the same price point.

Richnimrod
On 11/2/2016 at 7:37 AM, Richnimrod said:

Will do.    Probably this weekend or early next week.    I'll post here.

Well, today was the day.     I poured a decent enough pour, and took my time with it.    OF 1920 is a solid pour; but even though it did improve some with some air, it still (to my taste buddies) isn't worth the $50+ asked.    The air modified the harshness, and dropped the wood notes just a tick, so as I said; a decent pour.     I enjoyed it pretty well; but could have had about the same experience or even a better one with several (several dozen?) other Bourbons ranging in price from under $20 to under $40.     Just one man's opinion, of course.    ...And, none of the other Bourbons (except OF Signature) would have had quite the same profile, if that is your sweet spot.

Edited by Richnimrod

Three quarks

The price on 1920 was reduced locally to the SRP of $59.99.  It was $67 in this area just 10 days ago, so it is moving in the right direction. And there is plenty on the shelf.

DeepCover

I bought my 1920 for $60 including tax. It's a very nice, smooth pour, and you'd never guess it's 115 proof. If I didn't know any better, I would've pegged it below 100 proof. I had others try it and they thought the same.

I pick up a different sweetness in this than the 1897. In the 1897 I pick up banana sweetness. In the 1920, I pick up vanilla with cinnamon spice on the finish.

T Comp

Way too much banana...aroma, flavor, lingering taste in it for me to like. This is a personal dislike on my part and if you're okay with banana, like in the other more famous BF brand, it won't distract you. And it has a lot going on-rich, complex, oak, stewed fruits, leather... but...another BF trait, touch of acetone there too. Glad I had a chance to taste at the Jon and Dawn extravaganza as it was on my purchase radar. 

flahute
10 minutes ago, T Comp said:

Way too much banana...aroma, flavor, lingering taste in it for me to like. This is a personal dislike on my part and if you're okay with banana, like in the other more famous BF brand, it won't distract you. And it has a lot going on-rich, complex, oak, stewed fruits, leather... but...another BF trait, touch of acetone there too. Glad I had a chance to taste at the Jon and Dawn extravaganza as it was on my purchase radar. 

So interesting how individual our palates can be. I totally get the banana and acetone on other OF brands, but I don't get any of that on the 1920. What I like most about the 1920 is that to me, it's very different than all the other OF brands I've had.

jeffrey r

These differing interpretations of the OF 1920 are going to compel me to open my bottle sooner rather than later.  I enjoy OF Sig as a value pour, but OFBB lost some of its luster by the end of my bottles a couple of years ago.  I did really enjoy the OF "Repeal of Prohibition" release from a few years ago.  I am hoping that this 1920 is similar to that Repeal release.  The Repeal barrels were very rich and bold, still classic OF, but more in your face.  That was nice for a change of pace pour.

dcbt

I was excited about opening this but the banana notes some have mentioned now have me scared.  I can't stand that about JD.  Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and it will bypass me, but I seem to be sensitive to the 'nana note.

amg
3 hours ago, dcbt said:

I was excited about opening this but the banana notes some have mentioned now have me scared.  I can't stand that about JD.  Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and it will bypass me, but I seem to be sensitive to the 'nana note.

I don't get the banana, but I do get the usual Old Forester apple note. Not as much acetone as OFBB or recent OF Sig either.

smokinjoe

I'm about half way through my bottle, and I find it a good but nothing above that, representation of B-F whiskey.  More in line with Signature before it took (IMO) a dive in quality, though a bit bolder.  Probably, would keep this around to sate my occasional B-F itch, but it would not be something I see buying multiples of during a year.

LCWoody

I made a referance to it tasting like WR brought up to 115p. I'm not thinking so anymore. It seems like the longer this bottle stays open the hotter it gets and not as good.  It's ok but I'm not wanting to buy another bottle. 

jeffrey r
2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I made a referance to it tasting like WR brought up to 115p. I'm not thinking so anymore. It seems like the longer this bottle stays open the hotter it gets and not as good.  It's ok but I'm not wanting to buy another bottle. 

Interesting.  I need to do some more "investigating", but at first blush, I am coming to a slightly different conclusion.  I was less than impressed with my first taste of the 1920 out of the bottle, but a second taste a week or two later was better.  Less hot, more flavorful. 

But at the end of the day, this is a fiery, NAS, OF release at north of $50, and that will simply be polarizing.  I bought two bottles at $53, and while I don't necessarily regret that, I don't think I will be stocking up on more bottles unless there is a more dramatic improvement.  I hope to report back with some evolutionary findings in the coming weeks.