Three quarks

Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style

BigPapa
3 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Interesting.  I need to do some more "investigating", but at first blush, I am coming to a slightly different conclusion.  I was less than impressed with my first taste of the 1920 out of the bottle, but a second taste a week or two later was better.  Less hot, more flavorful. 

But at the end of the day, this is a fiery, NAS, OF release at north of $50, and that will simply be polarizing.  I bought two bottles at $53, and while I don't necessarily regret that, I don't think I will be stocking up on more bottles unless there is a more dramatic improvement.  I hope to report back with some evolutionary findings in the coming weeks.  

I did the same thing.

Kpiz

I opened my bottle last night. I found it to have strong flavors of dried red fruits (cherries mostly) and an interesting, medicinal finish. I'll need to revisit it before deciding whether I want to purchase a backup bottle, but my first impression of it is that it's good and different.

mbroo5880i

I really like it.  I am drinking some tonight.  However, there are several regular bottles of other bourbons available at half the cost that I enjoy equally as well.  1792 single barrel, EC NAS, Larceny...I am looking at you.  However, 115 proof is nice. 

silverc

I've sampled my bottle twice so far. The nose is really fantastic. The taste and finish are decent, but not as good as the nose. It packs a good punch at 115 proof, but it's not too hot. Like others have said, the flavor profile is a little different, which is good. I can think of others that I would rather stock up on over this, but I still may buy a 2nd bottle of it at some point. It is significantly better than the OF 1897 and 1870 releases.

Clueby

I've seen this everywhere lately at between $50 and $60. The reviews seem to be all over the map so I haven't been able to bring myself to spring that much when there is so much good stuff cheaper.  I think the only bottles I've bought higher than that this year were ECBP.

jeffrey r

Clueby, it is good stuff. It's a big, bold, rich, chewy OF. Because of that, you sort of need to like the OF profile. If you do, I would think that it is worth a try. I bought two bottles, am happy to have the two, but won't go crazy bunkering the stuff. And it has improved significantly with airtime. The first pour was less than stellar for me.

Richdel
18 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

And it has improved significantly with airtime. The first pour was less than stellar for me.

Exactly, what he said!

BigPapa

Air time  in the bottle and then about 20 minutes of time in a glass before the first sip is perfect . 

Huge cherry / chocolate flavors

On 12/8/2016 at 7:55 PM, Clueby said:

I've seen this everywhere lately at between $50 and $60. The reviews seem to be all over the map so I haven't been able to bring myself to spring that much when there is so much good stuff cheaper.  I think the only bottles I've bought higher than that this year were ECBP.

If you want to trade a sample some time, let me know and I'll meet up / bring you some.

I think its great, but you definitely need to like old forester.

Three quarks
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:22 AM, BigPapa said:

Air time  in the bottle and then about 20 minutes of time in a glass before the first sip is perfect . 

Huge cherry / chocolate flavors

I like cherries and chocolate (and used to like OF), but hate spending $60. Then again, Booker's will soon be $100.  How is the viscosity of the 1920 compared to Booker's?

jeffrey r

I like cherries and chocolate (and used to like OF), but hate spending $60. Then again, Booker's will soon be $100.  How is the viscosity of the 1920 compared to Booker's?

Within the Old Fo profile, I would say the 1920 has real viscosity. It is a thick and chewy pour that has really opened up with airtime. Booker's with the Beam profile is probably a pretty good comparison IMO.

Three quarks
9 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Within the Old Fo profile, I would say the 1920 has real viscosity. It is a thick and chewy pour that has really opened up with airtime. Booker's with the Beam profile is probably a pretty good comparison IMO.

Sounds good!! I remember liking Old Forester quite a bit 20+ years ago, but then got sidetracked on other options . . . including Booker's, which I thought was phenomenal back when it was first released. I have a bottle of the OF 1920, but haven't gotten to it yet. But I am looking forward to it.

21 hours ago, Three quarks said:

I think you will really appreciate the 1920.  It does need time to open up though.

It's viscous, but not hot like bookers.  Also, no nasty peanut taste...

I still declare that 1920 is better than 2015 birthday!

BigPapa

Booker's is thicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepCover
On December 14, 2016 at 7:52 PM, 0895 said:

I still declare that 1920 is better than 2015 birthday!

I completely agree. I'd put it over the 2015 and 2016 OFBB.

Richnimrod
2 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I completely agree. I'd put it over the 2015 and 2016 OFBB.

Not sure I'd agree with all of this; but it seems close (if not all that similar) to '15.     But, it very well may be one I prefer to '16 OFBB.     After some time with a little air, it has really grown on me.

mbroo5880i

Personally, I prefer OF 1920 over Booker's, primarily because it is a little more complex.  And, I too, find hints of cherries and chocolate in the flavor.  

Yeah, the price (MSRP $60) is a little steep for OF but it is different enough of a pour to be consider higher end for their products.  Is it better than OFBB or an OF SiB?   You may get differing opinions.  But, each of those products varies year-to-year or barrel-to-barrel so even within those product lines some years or barrels are better than others.

I can find OF 1920 at Costco for $51.99 which I think is a pretty good price.  

flahute
58 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Personally, I prefer OF 1920 over Booker's, primarily because it is a little more complex.  And, I too, find hints of cherries and chocolate in the flavor.  

Yeah, the price (MSRP $60) is a little steep for OF but it is different enough of a pour to be consider higher end for their products.  Is it better than OFBB or an OF SiB?   You may get differing opinions.  But, each of those products varies year-to-year or barrel-to-barrel so even within those product lines some years or barrels are better than others.

I can find OF 1920 at Costco for $51.99 which I think is a pretty good price.  

I see a lot of people saying they prefer OF1920 to OFBB. I don't think I'd go that far, but I'm in the minority that tends to always like OFBB no matter the year. OF at 12 years old just seems to be in my wheelhouse for whatever reason. I do find the 1920 to be superior to OF SiB by a good margin. Nothing against the SiB as I do like it, it just has a hard time competing for me at 90 proof. Now barrel proof OF SiB on the other hand.......that is some special stuff. It's not an official product of course, but I have some from a barrel pick I did and I wish I could get it bottled this way.

BourbonGuy
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 2:58 AM, flahute said:

It's really good.  Much better than the previous two releases. 

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:18 AM, Richnimrod said:

I opened my new one up the other day, and wasn't blown away by the wonderfulness of it; but it's clearly a better Bourbon than the first two in the 'Whiskey Row' series.     I definitely wouldn't go above MSRP on this, though.

Sorry, I saw a bottle of 1870 and 1807.   Are these what you are referring to?  It was $45 and I figured I check here first.  There is no 1920 that I was able to find.

Edited by BourbonGuy

flahute
1 minute ago, BourbonGuy said:

Sorry, I saw a bottle of 1870 and 1807.   Are these what you are referring to?  It was $45 and I figured I check here first.

No, not those. The 1920 is what I'm referring to.

I was very meh on the 1870. I liked the 1897 and would buy more of it if not for the price. The 1920 was by far the better of the three releases and will be a mainstay for me if they can keep the profile up.

Richnimrod
35 minutes ago, BourbonGuy said:

Sorry, I saw a bottle of 1870 and 1807.   Are these what you are referring to?  It was $45 and I figured I check here first.  There is no 1920 that I was able to find.

32 minutes ago, flahute said:

No, not those. The 1920 is what I'm referring to.

I was very meh on the 1870. I liked the 1897 and would buy more of it if not for the price. The 1920 was by far the better of the three releases and will be a mainstay for me if they can keep the profile up.

What Steve said.

I'd call the first release in the 'Whiskey Row' series (1870) borderline undrinkable.     ...To my taste buddies, anyway.    I wouldn't have bought another bottle of that for $1.00!

The second in the series (1897, BIB) was somewhat better; but not worth the price asked in my world.    That one I MAY have bought another ... for $10.00; but, not much more.    Now the 'current' one (I'm not aware of a 'next one' being out, in my neck of the woods anyway), 1920 (115-proof, Prohibition Style) is actually decent Bourbon.    Not particularly great to my taste buddies; but decent.    The proof helps a good deal, I believe.    I still wouldn't replace it for the cheddar asked around here.     However, I would buy another for $25 or even $30, if such was available.

The better bet, if value and balance are your targets, is Old Forester Signature, 100-proof.     Some (many?) have noticed a significant degradation in the balance and general quality of OF Sig in current shipments of it; but, I can't speak to that, not having opened the only 'new' one (from early fall, a 1.75).    The one I have open right now (probably bought a couple years ago), a 1.75 is great, and cost less than half what the Whiskey Row offerings have sold for around here.

Three quarks

I finally tried this stuff. Holy mackerel! Very strong and very heavy! The best thing it has going for it is the satiny mouthfeel and strength. Very unique! Unlike anything I have had before. But still very compartmentalized and muted at the outset, with extreme measures of both dry and sweet. I taste the chocolate and cherries. But it needs significant time to open up. As someone mentioned earlier, a few drops of water helps a bunch!! I was thinking to myself: "Would I buy this again?" It's a tough choice given the price, but most likely, "yes," because it is so unique. I wish it had more balance initially, but that seemed to resolve significantly over time. This is definitely different. Very heavy viscosity. One of the more interesting bourbons I have tried recently.

Edited by Three quarks

Tasted this last night and just joining the chorus of voices saying that it's both very good and different.  I get the chocolate and cherry notes, and I was also happy to note that it seemed like a cousin to my older bottle of OFSig, but bigger, deeper, more complex, and significantly smoother.  I tasted the 1792 Full proof immediately after, and it's great too, but I give the edge to the 1920.

fishnbowljoe

I'm a little interested in this, but not at the $65.00 price tag I saw yesterday. Pass.

Thig
I'm a little interested in this, but not at the $65.00 price tag I saw yesterday. Pass.

If it's as good as everyone is saying I would be a buyer at $65. Considering where bourbon prices are going that may not be out of line for a really good bottle.