Three quarks

Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style

mosugoji64   
mosugoji64
5 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

I luckily missed the first two releases but caught this one, and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it lived up to the claim of a pre-P style bourbon with enough weight, intensity, and flavor to give it more than a nod. Would buy it again soon, especially given my recent spate of not very successful bourbon and rye purchases (Blood Oath #3, Jeffersons Grand Selection Sauternes finish, Blade & Bow, Cooperstown Doubleday Baseball bourbon, and Gunfighter Rye).

Dude, you need to stop listening to the liquor store employees and pay more attention to the forums here. They're loading you up with junk!

dcbt   
dcbt

I bought one last year for $60 and liked it quite a bit, great mouthfeel and flavor, different than other B-F products.  So when I saw it again for $50 a few months later it was easy to add one to the bunker.

BourbonDude   
BourbonDude
1 hour ago, mosugoji64 said:

Dude, you need to stop listening to the liquor store employees and pay more attention to the forums here. They're loading you up with junk!

Ha-ha! You are right about the quality, but I basically bought them on my own since I hadn't tried anything really new in a while, and I figured I'd try a few new things despite my knowing the odds were against my finding anything decent. So it's back to the ones I like such as Bookers, Stagg, Parkers, Bibb & Tucker, Weller, etc. At least we can use them at our next tasting to educate the attendees on what not to buy and why. :-)

BourbonDude   
BourbonDude
4 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

Speaking of dubious quality, and of the risks of buying unknown bourbons, I'm reminded of years ago when I first saw Bookers in the late 80s. I'd only tried the standard Beam white label and black label, and considered them low end juice, fine for mixing, but that's about it. That, the high price, plus not being a fan of the Beam wine-like flavor profile (somewhat ironic considering how popular it is despite that not being a profile typical of bourbon), I passed it by several times. I just figured Beam couldn't make a really high end bourbon. Then on an impulse I bought it and was blown away. Just goes to show you what I know. LOL.

Of course, that doesn't negate the fact that I still buy too much junk like you said. :-)

Edited by BourbonDude

hn4bourbon   
hn4bourbon

Had a pour of this with ice. This is the first time I've introduced ice with this and I found that I enjoyed this with ice more than without ice. I'll have to give it a few more tries to confirm my preferences here. 

Edited by hn4bourbon

Mako254   
Mako254

Really enjoying my bottle. $59 is a little steep, but I'll certainly pick up another bottle. 

Kyjd75   
Kyjd75

Amazing how out of the blue this really good bourbon appears, and for the most part, is readably available at a "reasonable' cost.

Patrick_OKC   
Patrick_OKC

I have enjoyed all of the Old Forester releases, including the Whiskey Row roll out. The 1870, 1897, and 1920 can be picked up for upper $40s in the Dallas area at TW. I have also seen the 1920 for $59 to $66 at other local retailers, but I buy it at TW, or even Specs. I have a couple of bottles of the Statesman, but have not yet opened. Got them for $46 each I think. Given the overall inflation of bourbon prices these days, I don't mind paying these prices. 

Pat