Three quarks

Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style

Statesboro Blues

I’m enjoying a pour of OF1920 as we speak. I’ve had 4 pours from this particular bottle, and it seems to get better each time. I prefer a large cube with most bourbons at this proof, but I’ve found that I much prefer sipping this one neat and enjoying the rich flavors. It’s very sweet and immediately enjoyable on the palate, burns you just enough on the back end, and finishes smooth, leaving you begging for another. This bourbon has quickly risen to the top of the list for me. 5/5

RWBadley
59 minutes ago, Statesboro Blues said:

I’m enjoying a pour of OF1920 as we speak. I’ve had 4 pours from this particular bottle, and it seems to get better each time. I prefer a large cube with most bourbons at this proof, but I’ve found that I much prefer sipping this one neat and enjoying the rich flavors. It’s very sweet and immediately enjoyable on the palate, burns you just enough on the back end, and finishes smooth, leaving you begging for another. This bourbon has quickly risen to the top of the list for me. 5/5

Good find! Yes it is quite tasty. Less complex than some- but what is there- is all good

Cheers

RW

l364cy

I may have to pull this one out of the bar and give it another taste.  I picked up a bottle in Aug-Sept of 2017, based on reviews and taste profiles, it should have been right up my alley.

I only had a couple of pours, one from a fresh open, and one after the bottle was open a few days.  In both cases, it drank spicy, overpoweringly so.  Not a proof burn, I regularly imbibe

130ish barrel proofs, but a young whiskey burn paired with an overpowering pepper spice, and this from a rye drinker.  I couldn't get much else from it.  I do enjoy the Statesman bottle

I picked up in January, it is almost empty.  I'll revisit the 1920 this week, this thread has inspired me!

fosmith
1 hour ago, l364cy said:

I may have to pull this one out of the bar and give it another taste.  I picked up a bottle in Aug-Sept of 2017, based on reviews and taste profiles, it should have been right up my alley.

I only had a couple of pours, one from a fresh open, and one after the bottle was open a few days.  In both cases, it drank spicy, overpoweringly so.  Not a proof burn, I regularly imbibe

130ish barrel proofs, but a young whiskey burn paired with an overpowering pepper spice, and this from a rye drinker.  I couldn't get much else from it.  I do enjoy the Statesman bottle

I picked up in January, it is almost empty.  I'll revisit the 1920 this week, this thread has inspired me!

The first bottle I had of this was great.  So, I bought a second and it was as you described, even after a month of air.  Wound up using it as a mixer...  They must make it batches, some of which are better than others, although there's no batch id on the bottles. 

mbroo5880i
On 5/1/2018 at 6:51 PM, l364cy said:

I really like OF 1920.  I have had several bottles since it was first released.  However, I noticed a similar overpowering spice and heat (not proof) in the most recent bottle I purchased.  I purchased two bottles about the same time over the holidays and the first one didn't have this profile.  I also drank a pour right after opening.  It settled down once I proofed down to a little below 100.  I think a little air time will help.  I have not noticed this with any of the previous bottles.

RWBadley

I would guess differences due to batch bottling dates would be an easy explanation, and not unexpected.

I bought from the first batch I would guess in the early fall of '17 if I remember right. I still have an open bottle and another sealed. I thought it quite delicious- but don't like the sound for the new bottlings.

Later today I'll take a look at the bottling ID and post it here so we might be aware of batch variations going forward.

Any idea what your new 1920 version bottling ID might be? This info might encourage buying from a 'better batch' if still out there...

Cheers,

RW

Cranecreek
On 5/18/2018 at 9:02 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I really like OF 1920.  I have had several bottles since it was first released.  However, I noticed a similar overpowering spice and heat (not proof) in the most recent bottle I purchased.  I purchased two bottles about the same time over the holidays and the first one didn't have this profile.  I also drank a pour right after opening.  It settled down once I proofed down to a little below 100.  I think a little air time will help.  I have not noticed this with any of the previous bottles.

1 hour ago, RWBadley said:

Later today I'll take a look at the bottling ID and post it here so we might be aware of batch variations going forward.

I have enjoyed the bottle I bought in March, I see no identifying info on the bottle as to batch but would share if one of you tells me what to look for.  The flavors are quite intense and may be too complex for some.  Plus if you do not like chocolate flavor , well this 1920 has that in spades.  My tasting notes are on here a page back.

RWBadley

Here's the cryptic code at bottom of bottle. All 1920's I have are the same

image.jpg

Cranecreek
9 minutes ago, RWBadley said:

Here's the cryptic code at bottom of bottle. All 1920's I have are the same

My bottle is  L223610615  Now if we only knew what it meant.

Kyjd75

Don't know anything about what the codes mean, but my most recent bottle is as good as ever.  Absolutely one of my most favourite bourbons.