Three quarks

Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style

mbroo5880i
5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm a little interested in this, but not at the $65.00 price tag I saw yesterday. Pass.

I have only had one bottle and am about half-way through it.  I paid $49.99.  I believe the MSRP is $59.99.  I see it at Costco for $51.99.  Lots of prices in the post but the general thought is that while I really like it,  I can see paying around $50 but probably not much more.

39 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have only had one bottle and am about half-way through it.  I paid $49.99.  I believe the MSRP is $59.99.  I see it at Costco for $51.99.  Lots of prices in the post but the general thought is that while I really like it,  I can see paying around $50 but probably not much more.

I paid 54.99 from Binny's.  And yeah, I can see that it makes things a bit easier than a $70 tab.   I've found that I really like the OF flavor profile, so worth it for me to taste the "top-shelf" expression.  I'll be on the lookout for the Birthday Bourbon when that comes around.  Curious as to how that compares.   

jeffrey r
I paid 54.99 from Binny's.  And yeah, I can see that it makes things a bit easier than a $70 tab.   I've found that I really like the OF flavor profile, so worth it for me to taste the "top-shelf" expression.  I'll be on the lookout for the Birthday Bourbon when that comes around.  Curious as to how that compares.   

Yeah, cheapest around me is $53 for the 1920, which I am fine with. I think it is a high quality bourbon. I've bought 3 bottles (one open, two for the bunker), and will probably be set with that for awhile. It's classic bold, rich OF.

Here's the deal with the Birthday Bourbon. To me, it is essentially a $50-$60 bourbon or thereabouts, notwithstanding the current hoopla and pricing. So from what I've had of the BB, it is not necessarily "better" than the 1920, though it is likely different in each iteration. The last one I had was interesting--a lot of fruit that I recall. But to be honest, each time I had a bottle of the BB open, I just wanted it to end at some point during the bottle. The profile just wore on me. That's why I would personally never chase a bottle of the BB, nor would I likely buy one even if I came across one.

Three quarks

Haven't seen any of this on the shelf, since I bought the last one. Still plenty of the other WR series available.

Clueby
59 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

Haven't seen any of this on the shelf, since I bought the last one. Still plenty of the other WR series available.

Still seeing it pretty much everywhere here.  It is usually in the mid to high 50's.  I think I've seen one as high as $64.99.  The only one I have I got as a gift so i dont know what was paid.

jvd99

I posted my thoughts in another thread, but right out of the gate I got acetone on the nose, it drank hot with a bitter finish.  Adding water fixed most of these issues to the point of it being enjoyable.  I'd go Stagg Jr. over this without hesitation.

JoeTerp

I got a chance to have a taste while I was traveling and I was curious due to all of the positive reviews I've seen (many here). I found it decent but nothing overall noteworthy. The taste that I got from there was similar to Dimetap ( grape flavored medicine from my childhood). 

On 1/2/2017 at 8:30 AM, jeffrey r said:

It's classic bold, rich OF.

Here's the deal with the Birthday Bourbon. To me, it is essentially a $50-$60 bourbon or thereabouts, notwithstanding the current hoopla and pricing. So from what I've had of the BB, it is not necessarily "better" than the 1920, though it is likely different in each iteration. The last one I had was interesting--a lot of fruit that I recall. But to be honest, each time I had a bottle of the BB open, I just wanted it to end at some point during the bottle. The profile just wore on me.

Very well said.  I always love a few drams of birthday bourbon each fall, but I think if I ever actually got a bottle, it would last me several years.  It goes boring after a few.

I think the 1920 is very similar, but much more interesting.  I keep going back to it and it keeps changing.

My 1920 has gotten really good after being open a few months.  Rich cherry and chocolate flavors, along with those "dried fruits" everyone talks about, but I've never understood until now.

Good Stuff !

Three quarks
19 hours ago, 0895 said:

I keep going back to it and it keeps changing.

Agreed. That is part of what makes it so interesting.

smokinjoe
25 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

Agreed. That is part of what makes it so interesting.

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

I keep going back to it and it keeps changing.

Are you all saying the whiskey itself is physically changing, and there are flavors that were not there initially?

54 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Are you all saying the whiskey itself is physically changing, and there are flavors that were not there initially?

Good question.  I'm not sure how to answer with certainty.

Air time has made it much better than when new (like most bottles).

Furthermore, the experience seems different each time I go back to it:  New flavors and aromas seem to be evolving.

Just a really good bottle to my tastes.

Three quarks
3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Most likely a perception thing, but I notice different characteristics each time I try it. Sometimes it seems very complex, and other times not as much. And some elements can be extreme. When I first opened it, it was the texture and heavy viscosity that I noticed, but with a muted aroma. Now the aroma is very heavy, old and sweet, accented with rye spice and outstanding. A little water works very well!

Edited by Three quarks

Kpiz

Interesting to hear about this bottle evolving for a number of folks. Mine is at 2/3 and I haven't noticed any change yet from when I first popped the cork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesse11

It's on my list to order this Friday when I head into Jack Rose. I've been intrigued by this one but just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. There is a lot of great Willett barrels that are known to be B-F distilled from January 03. If I could find something even remotely resembling those I'd be a buyer. This one seems like a possibility. So far no other B-F product has been like the Willetts.

meadeweber
43 minutes ago, Jesse11 said:

It's on my list to order this Friday when I head into Jack Rose. I've been intrigued by this one but just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. There is a lot of great Willett barrels that are known to be B-F distilled from January 03. If I could find something even remotely resembling those I'd be a buyer. This one seems like a possibility. So far no other B-F product has been like the Willetts.

Hmm.  So many great things to try at Jack Rose.  It would be hard for me to order something that I could easily get over some of the other choices.

BTW, the rumors are true, OF1920 is really good. 

Have fun at JR!

Jesse11
15 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Hmm.  So many great things to try at Jack Rose.  It would be hard for me to order something that I could easily get over some of the other choices.

BTW, the rumors are true, OF1920 is really good. 

Have fun at JR!

I've been there so many times I feel like I'm running out of things I want to order. The prices have gotten so high on a lot of it that I'm not going to really keep revisiting things at $40/oz. I'm really hoping that they have that new #827 Willett that was just released. They're definitely getting it but I don't know if it will be there by Friday.

Clueby
52 minutes ago, Jesse11 said:

I've been there so many times I feel like I'm running out of things I want to order. The prices have gotten so high on a lot of it that I'm not going to really keep revisiting things at $40/oz. I'm really hoping that they have that new #827 Willett that was just released. They're definitely getting it but I don't know if it will be there by Friday.

I just looked at their website whiskey list.  Wow..that is quite the selection.  No prices listed, though.  Was wondering how much they got per pour for some of that stuff, especially the old ryes.

garbanzobean
6 hours ago, Clueby said:

I just looked at their website whiskey list.  Wow..that is quite the selection.  No prices listed, though.  Was wondering how much they got per pour for some of that stuff, especially the old ryes.

Their prices are high, though not completely unreasonable if one factors in the trouble of sourcing all their rare whiskies.  I tend to look for deals as opposed to going there with specific whiskies in mind.  I typically have a very enjoyable time when I do that, and the bill stays reasonable in size.  The bartenders almost always respond well to requests for random obscure stuff, and typically love to geek out right along with you.

For example, the best whisky I had there the last time I went was a sherried Glen Scotia suggested by the bartender.  Glen Scotia!  It beat out a couple rare American whiskies and a few really well rated malts.

hn4bourbon

I bought a bottle of this a couple months ago for roughly $60. The packaging was appealing to me and I remember liking different releases of their Birthday Bourbon.

i opened the bottle the same day and kept going back to it for a good number of days and then haven't revisited it since. I was unimpressed with the aroma when opened. Too much of that nail varnish aroma. However, I did enjoy the thick mouth coating quality and the flavors of this bottle when I looked past the nose. A lot of the notes described in the previous posts. I kept telling myself that I should go get a few more bottles but while I enjoy this when drinking it, I haven't found the urge to make sure I have a replacement waiting when I run out. 

Mako254
On 10/29/2016 at 5:06 PM, Kyjd75 said:

I am midway through a bottle of this, and all I can say is that it is very good bourbon.  I have no ability to describe bourbon using all of those fancy terms others use, so I can only say what I taste, and it is darn good stuff.  Probably going back for another bottle next week.

Right there with ya. Quality post. 

Richnimrod
4 hours ago, hn4bourbon said:

I bought a bottle of this a couple months ago for roughly $60. The packaging was appealing to me and I remember liking different releases of their Birthday Bourbon.

i opened the bottle the same day and kept going back to it for a good number of days and then haven't revisited it since. I was unimpressed with the aroma when opened. Too much of that nail varnish aroma. However, I did enjoy the thick mouth coating quality and the flavors of this bottle when I looked past the nose. A lot of the notes described in the previous posts. I kept telling myself that I should go get a few more bottles but while I enjoy this when drinking it, I haven't found the urge to make sure I have a replacement waiting when I run out. 

Hey everybody isn't gonna love the same stuff, hn!     Some of us do love the 1920, I'm less sold on it than some; but I do like it well enough to keep a bottle around, and have replaced the first one I bought; twice.     Of course personally, I don't mind that aromatic you describe as 'nail varnish' that much (my impression is more like shellac); but I do recognize that is pretty prevalent, and that it may indeed be off-putting to some folx.  

In any case, there is never a good reason to buy, and especially to then replace, a brand with which you have negative issues.     I say; "Drink What You Enjoy; Life Is Too Short To Do Otherwise."    ....And, there are so many options at rather less $$ than 1920; I'm sure several have/will find the mark for you.

DCFan

I'm a fan. Terrific nose and at 115 proof it has just the right bite for me.

Masset1982

This is my first taste of BF products beside Jack Daniel's. I love this stuff, packs some great flavors, perfect proof for me too, a nice punch in the mouth with a pleasant finish, if this stuff hits Europe one day, i'll buy it again.

hn4bourbon
15 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Hey everybody isn't gonna love the same stuff, hn!     Some of us do love the 1920, I'm less sold on it than some; but I do like it well enough to keep a bottle around, and have replaced the first one I bought; twice.     Of course personally, I don't mind that aromatic you describe as 'nail varnish' that much (my impression is more like shellac); but I do recognize that is pretty prevalent, and that it may indeed be off-putting to some folx.  

In any case, there is never a good reason to buy, and especially to then replace, a brand with which you have negative issues.     I say; "Drink What You Enjoy; Life Is Too Short To Do Otherwise."    ....And, there are so many options at rather less $$ than 1920; I'm sure several have/will find the mark for you.

Absolutely:) I'm sure I'll revisit it soon and probably end up replacing it when I get through the bottle. I do enjoy the proof, the mouthfeel, and flavors when I'm drinking it. 

Jackinbox

Just now having my first pour of this and I'm totally blown away.  Wow, what a thick mouthfeel.  I love the front flavor I'm getting.  The finish is great as well.  

If this is 4 year-old whiskey, it might just be the best 4-year I've ever tasted.  Even if it's as much as 6 years, it's damn good.  I'm guessing that those that don't like it probably prefer a bit more wood.  I'm not really getting much wood here at all, but to me that's a good thing.

I've never been much of a Brown-Forman guy.  I don't care for any of the Woodford Expressions and I thought OF Signature was decent but nothing special.  I did like the OFBB but quit chasing it after it went from on the shelves at $50 to lottery at $70+.  

If this stays anywhere near the $50 price I paid, I'll keep buying this one on a regular basis.