Plantation OFTD overproof dark

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I keep pushing the local distributor about it but no joy yet.

Hard to know how it will drink until l get access to it but it sounds like it will be quite sippable as is (the proof certainly won't keep me from trying it neat first and with water as needed)  as well as being a quality higher proof mixer. I have heard that there were some tweaks made to proof and maybe the label at a minimum after its intro at Tales so maybe that is part of the delay. It was reportedly 138 proof at Tales.

I have not seen it here, but will now be on the lookout, and of course will report back if I find it. Given the cocktail obsession around here, I have to imagine one of the local stores will stock it.

21 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I keep pushing the local distributor about it but no joy yet.

Hard to know how it will drink until l get access to it but it sounds like it will be quite sippable as is (the proof certainly won't keep me from trying it neat first and with water as needed)  as well as being a quality higher proof mixer. I have heard that there were some tweaks made to proof and maybe the label at a minimum after its intro at Tales so maybe that is part of the delay. It was reportedly 138 proof at Tales.

It's available at a few stores here in Minneapolis 

2 hours ago, BigPapa said:

It's available at a few stores here in Minneapolis 

Georgia is typically behind most states in getting new products because the byzantine liquor laws here are more byzantine than most other states! Which is saying something given how Byzantine liquor laws are in general....

Have you tried it? Is it still 138 proof?

On 10/28/2016 at 8:54 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Georgia is typically behind most states in getting new products because the byzantine liquor laws here are more byzantine than most other states! Which is saying something given how Byzantine liquor laws are in general....

Have you tried it? Is it still 138 proof?

I have not and yes it's still 138 proof

• 1 month later...

Just ordered a bottle of this from K&L. Have not picked it up yet but I'll open it as soon as I do and report back. The price was $27.99 for a Liter bottle, quite a bit cheaper than I was expecting. 

No telling when, or if, I will see it in Atlanta. Haven't seen the newest version Lemon Hart 151 yet either.

Time to stop by the tiki bar I guess!

• 3 weeks later...

Tiki bar has the OFTD so I got to try it. Quite good!

So that means somebody in Atlanta must have it available for distribution. Whoever has Plantation I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 6 case at TPS. $28 per.

I too enjoy this one - haven't used it in a cocktail yet (what I bought it for) but I have downproofed it roughly to about 110 ish and enjoy sipping it as is.

Kind of a no-brainer at $28, and I don't think it's going to be permanently produced. Think it's a special release.

Don't know if you've heard the story of the acronym, but apparently a member of the tasting panel who was the first to speak said "Oh F$%k That's Delicious!", and an acronym was born, which was later cleaned up to "Old Fashioned Traditional Dark"

Fun fact.

Saw this at my local Binny's and it sparked some curiosity.  Of course turned to straight bourbon for the straight scoop.  Seems like it would be hard to go wrong for a $28ish bottle of (good tasting) 128 proof rum...

11 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Bought a 6 case at TPS. $28 per.

I too enjoy this one - haven't used it in a cocktail yet (what I bought it for) but I have downproofed it roughly to about 110 ish and enjoy sipping it as is.

Kind of a no-brainer at $28, and I don't think it's going to be permanently produced. Think it's a special release.

Don't know if you've heard the story of the acronym, but apparently a member of the tasting panel who was the first to speak said "Oh F$%k That's Delicious!", and an acronym was born, which was later cleaned up to "Old Fashioned Traditional Dark"

Fun fact.

Thanks for the additional info on this one, I didn't realize it is a limited release.

Glad to hear it has some sipping potential as well. I really need to open my bottle and see if I want to pick up a couple backups.

I don't think it is a limited release necessarily but it will certainly be dependent on access to the rums in the blend (reportedly Jamaican, Guyanese and Bajan) which can no doubt change in availability and quality over time.

There was a previous Plantation Overproof Dark at a higher 146 proof that was made from mostly Trinidad rum and possibly a bit of Jamaican pot still depending on what you read (and presumably finished in cognac casks with a bit of sugar added as many Plantation rums are). I think Angostura has gotten so undependable and lacking in decent quality rum that they had to seek out a new source. Or in this case "sources" as it comes from rum made in three different countries.

David Wondrich is attributed with first using OFTD in reference to the new Overproof.

Thanks for the clarification, Bruce. I'm always curious how the business of such deals works...It seems like it would be beneficial for Plantation to contractually secure similar rums for future batches, but I suppose the ambiguity of the business (will the product sell well enough to necessitate more product in the future? Will the distillery have the desired rums available when it's needed?) makes that dangerous for both parties.

They're probably unlikely to get the all-star tasting panel together again for future blending, but they might be able to hold the profile if they want to continue to make this.

Might.

Buying a case at 28 per was easy insurance for me in case it disappears.

Edited by The Black Tot

20 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Thanks for the clarification, Bruce. I'm always curious how the business of such deals works...It seems like it would be beneficial for Plantation to contractually secure similar rums for future batches, but I suppose the ambiguity of the business (will the product sell well enough to necessitate more product in the future? Will the distillery have the desired rums available when it's needed?) makes that dangerous for both parties.

Plantation is in kind of an unusual position. They do all the different vintage rums from different countries and several other blends. I suspect that the overproof, at least in the past, was not a major component of what they sell so they probably do have stocks set aside as well as relationships with a lot of producers that will provide them access for some time to come.

5 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

They're probably unlikely to get the all-star tasting panel together again for future blending, but they might be able to hold the profile if they want to continue to make this.

Might.

Buying a case at 28 per was easy insurance for me in case it disappears.

I do think they likely have access to the producers that will allow them to keep the profile of the new Overproof on point in the future if they choose to do so.

But it never hurts to buy a few extra now if you like it just in case... B)

Edited by tanstaafl2

Just now, tanstaafl2 said:

I do think they likely have access to the producers that will allow them to keep the profile of the new Overproof on point in the future if they choose to do so.

True, but that's what they said about Pusser's, which has changed a lot through the years.

What can I say? Experience with subtle changes in bourbon brands has made me a compulsive bunkerer of anything I like! :)

Can't blame you. Even if it continues to be available, with the same profile, it certainly won't get any cheaper than $28/liter

Just now, The Black Tot said:

True, but that's what they said about Pusser's, which has changed a lot through the years.

What can I say? Experience with subtle changes in bourbon brands has made me a compulsive bunkerer of anything I like! :)

I don't know for sure but I would think that Plantation/Ferrand has enough weight to get most of what they want. I am not sure Pusser's is that big a player in the grand scheme of things.

I confess I don't have much confidence in Pusser's in general though so that may be my own bias leaking through!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.