The business of allocation

Clueby
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stopped into a store I had never been in before that is about 1/2 hour from where I live. They had a pretty good bourbon selection on the shelf with good pricing. Blanton's , EHTSMB, AE,  WSR, etc. Decent selections but nothing too special or hard to find. The clerk (possible owner/Co owner) asked if there was anything I was looking for. I said I heard he had a good selection and was looking for a few things that were hard to find, like OWA or ETL. He said those are only for his "best customers". I said it looks like I should shop there more and become one of his best customers and he just shook his head and sort of discounted me and walked away. I then noticed a glass case with a lot of "allocated" bourbon, including ETL, W12, ORVW, etc. As I started to walk up to it he called out loudly to me that those are "display only" even though they were marked with prices.  I asked him if he doesn't sell anything out of that case? He again stated that only for his "best customers". He said he gets the "best stuff every week" and people travel to buy from him. I told him I had traveled a half hour to get there because I was told his selection was good but probably wouldn't be back if he refuses to sell anything from his "display only" case. He just replied with..."I take care of my own". In a situation like this  I'm not sure how you make new "best customers" unless you are expected to spend a year purchasing lower tier products to earn his special privileges. I just don't like this whole new business of allocated bourbon.

I promise you that it's even harder telling someone you can't sell them something than being told no. They guy is right in making sure to take care of his regulars. He is a dumb ass for putting the stuff out though. I am in a situation similar to this. I have customers that drive 30 min at least once a week to shop at my store and because of the amount of allocated product I have. I have some that drive 2 hours once a month. But as long as I see them frequenting the store I do make sure they get something. It may not be BTAC or PVW that they get but they will get something. Allocations suck for everyone. That I promise.

I guess I get that but he had it right there on display and was REALLY proud of the fact the he has "the best stuff". That's exactly why I WAS there and had driven a half hour. Had he sold me anything out of that case I'd have probably spent $100 to $200 and probably been back in a couple weeks to see what else he had. I guess unless I buy $500 worth of Jim Beam and Budweiser I can't buy that $50 bottle of Elmer T. Lee in your case. 

The method of keeping his best product for his best customers is a good one. 

The method of being a complete butthole is a bad one. It may be his right, but we all have rights. We each choose to exercise them differently. If anyone condones this type of behavior then they are a butthole too.

I've said it and I'll say it again. Find good guys and stick with them. It pays off big time. And find other guys that like the same hobbies you do.

I would certainly be sure to tell that story to whomever you heard from that he has a good selection and make sure you let them know that he is also an ass. And probably anywhere else I could find to share your story.

I accept the need to keep allocated whiskey for good customers. It is the reality today. Hell, I occasionally benefit from it! But to put it out in case just to show off and tell you straight out that he can't be bothered with you is just stupid.

I have no idea why this guy displays all the allocated bourbon that he won't sell to anyone who walks in the door.  He probably bitches about people that ask to buy it and how they never come back.  He causes his own problems.

In this case I would buy some stuff that I know I would use as long as the price was decent.  Someone has to make the first move to establish trust.  Buy some stuff, come back again and buy some more stuff.  At some point you might get something good.  That's how it's going to work most anywhere.  You really can't expect the guy to dole out bottles of  the rare stuff to some guy he has never met.  

53 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I accept the need to keep allocated whiskey for good customers. It is the reality today. Hell, I occasionally benefit from it! But to put it out in case just to show off and tell you straight out that he can't be bothered with you is just stupid.

I guess THAT ^^ is what bothered me the most. Had I gone to the counter with a bottle of ER and a bottle of Blanton's in my hands and then asked about OWA or ETL I wonder about the reaction. I also think some of the stuff that was in his "best stuff" bin shouldn't be nearly as allocated. CEHTSB, CEHTRYE, Whistlepig, even KC2001 was in there. Those are just on the shelf most other places if they have them. Even OWA would normally just be on the shelf if other stores got them in. I get keeping the ORVW, W12, Parkers, etc behind the counter.

I know this sounds like whining over spoiled grapes.  Maybe it is. I can afford a good bottle every few months or so. it seems like you have to be a pretty high Roller or just plain lucky anymore to even get a whiff of stuff that used to sit on the shelf.

Edited by Clueby

Clueby:  Are you sure you are not being sucked in by brand hype?  Yes, it is difficult to find OWA and ETL, but they are really only $25 and $35 bourbons in quality.  Hang out on these pages for a while and you will learn what others can find, are drinking, and are good or better quality than OWA and ETL.  Drink taste, not label.

The sad thing is that his "good customers" could be flipping the stuff they get from him. And yes, I've known it to be true.

1 hour ago, Madhatter said:

Clueby:  Are you sure you are not being sucked in by brand hype?  Yes, it is difficult to find OWA and ETL, but they are really only $25 and $35 bourbons in quality.  Hang out on these pages for a while and you will learn what others can find, are drinking, and are good or better quality than OWA and ETL.  Drink taste, not label.

I admit I was new to ETL but to my palate is one of the best bourbons I've tasted at any price level. I have drank OWA for years and absolutely love it.  it's just in the last few years that it's gone the way of the dodo bird or they want stupid money. Most bottles I've gotten of OWA have been in the $30 range but not for 4 years or so now. Saw one on the shelf a few weeks ago for $49.99 and passed.

I have tried a few of the sections I see talked about here or am already very familiar with ĺEC12, OGD114, etc) From what I've been reading I need to try HMCKBIB and RY10. I have not been able to find the RY10 anywhere yet.

Tom, Dick and Harry went into a liquor store.  Tom said, "Hey, do you have any Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon?"  Dick said, "Hey do you have any Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon?"  Harry said, "Why the long face?"

These poor saps have to endure every special release of beer, bourbon and God knows what.  It's enough to turn the strong of mind into muttering lunatics.   Thankfully, I'm retired.

Everyday I thank my lucky stars to live in a state run area.   Every municipality runs their own stores but prices and selection is determined by the state.  It does indeed pay dividends to be a known good customer in a given municipality.   My last purchases were the direct result of the store manager knowing I buy many everyday shelf stock skus from him.   Building my bunker and never paying more than msrp and never ever selling a bottle is highly satisfying.   Even more so knowing my son enjoys Bourbon as much as I do and any bunkered bottles left will pass on to him! 

57 minutes ago, Swoboda said:

Tom, Dick and Harry went into a liquor store.  Tom said, "Hey, do you have any Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon?"  Dick said, "Hey do you have any Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon?"  Harry said, "Why the long face?"

These poor saps have to endure every special release of beer, bourbon and God knows what.  It's enough to turn the strong of mind into muttering lunatics.   Thankfully, I'm retired.

It's not like I walked in asking for Pappy. Im not one of "those".  I specifically only mentioned Antique and ETL, both of which he actually had and both of which shouldnt be considered THAT sacred.  As Madhatter said, they are only $25 to $35 bourbons. It's not like I was looking for something THAT unique. While he did have some more rare selections, those aren't what I was looking for or asking about.

54 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It's not like I walked in asking for Pappy. Im not one of "those".  I specifically only mentioned Antique and ETL, both of which he actually had and both of which shouldnt be considered THAT sacred.  As Madhatter said, they are only $25 to $35 bourbons. It's not like I was looking for something THAT unique. While he did have some more rare selections, those aren't what I was looking for or asking about.

Sorry Clueby . . . didn't mean to imply.  Your points are well taken.  Clearly that guy has issues. 

It's a pretty good time to be a liquor store owner (actually it always has been, but times are really pretty good now)!  I don't feel too sorry for them...

There are asshat's everywhere, and they are to be avoided.  That is not a shop one should entertain.

Taking care of the regulars: good.

Displaying what they won't sell to just anyone: asshattery. 

I'd likely avoid that store for the rest of time unless their pricing was compelling enough to make me choose them. Then in time, I'd be one of the regulars.

As has been said before, cultivating a relationship with the owners or managers and becoming a regular customer that spends some money in the store over a period of time can reward you with some of the allocated stuff. However, it's not always a guarantee. I thought I had established a relationship in one shop and got jilted, so I'll spend my money elsewhere in the future. Sometimes, however, if you spend some time with an owner/manager and he gets the feeling that you aren't just a flipper, amazing things can happen even on your first visit to the store. It's happened to me before when I've visited a shop for the first time during a slow part of the day and hit it off with the owner and he wanted to earn my future business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, $helby said:

Everyday I thank my lucky stars to live in a state run area.   Every municipality runs their own stores but prices and selection is determined by the state.  It does indeed pay dividends to be a known good customer in a given municipality.   My last purchases were the direct result of the store manager knowing I buy many everyday shelf stock skus from him.   Building my bunker and never paying more than msrp and never ever selling a bottle is highly satisfying.   Even more so knowing my son enjoys Bourbon as much as I do and any bunkered bottles left will pass on to him! 

Really? I curse the fact that I live in a controlled state. I am protected from merchants who want to charge what the traffic will bear. But I would never pay $300 for a bottle of anything whatsoever. If I think the price is too high for anything, not just bourbon, I always have the option of not buying. I am also protected from merchants who might want to enhance their business by charging less than the established price. Recently, for example, I bought Booker's in KY for $20 less than it goes for in OH. Most of all, I am protected from buying anything that the state gods decide I don't really want anyway. Such as anything named Weller, for example. State control is not just about price, it is also about who gets to decide what your options are. 

Yeah Clueby, I've met quite a few liquor store owners like that, who were pretty obnoxious, and pretty much feel like they are kings looking down on the common people.  Lol, just have to pick up your dignity, and walk out of the store, with whatever left of it that you still have lol.

This is the wrong time of year to try to develop a relationship with a LS... It has to come from actually being a buyer pretty much year round.  I make the trek week after week (30 minute drive here too), I show interest in, and actually buy their store selections, then I will always e-mail my guy once I taste them and tell him what a good job he did with their RR, 4R, BT, etc... store selections. I try to buy something almost every time I'm in whether it's my daily drinker, to build the bunker or to keep my bar stocked even if it isn't bourbon. This year (finally) he emailed me and let me know he could get me a Thomas Handy and a W12. I thanked him profusely and  followed up with another email about how much I liked the Handy. Next up is the 4R SmB LE, he let me know they are at the distributor so I'll be following up on that one and so on throughout the year. Maybe next year I'll be worthy of an ER17 or WLW or dare i say it? ... Stagg or maybe one day VWFR or even a Pappy.

All that being said... Not selling you something that is clearly in stock and labeled for sale, pure douchery. I'm grateful that my guy held something for me, but the place to hold something for someone else is in the back, or under the counter NOT in the display case.

Clueby:  This is an interesting enough example that I did a little research.  You might think that this situation would be covered by consumer protection laws or anti-discrimination laws.  You would like to think there is a law that says if an item is displayed for sale with a price sticker, the retailer cannot discriminate in who can buy it, as long as legal statues do not prohibit the sale.  Unfortunately, I cannot find state or national law that addresses the kind of arbitrary discrimination that you encountered.  There have been legal cases when a customer was denied purchase of an item based on racial discrimination, but that doesn't seem to apply here.  I have no irons in the fire on this one; just fyi.  I also defer to those with real experience in the area.

Clueby, I'd say forget about it and find some other places to shop.  That guy is a jerk.  The funny thing about the "good" customers from a business standpoint; they probably have zero interest in what we like.  The "good" customers are the ones that buy cold light beer, tobacco, lottery, and half pints of swill every day.

There are some nice people in business.  Remember, other stores are also getting the same products.  Go to a store when they're not busy, be polite and chat the people up a bit.  They might have something out of sight, or offer to put you on a list.

23 hours ago, Clueby said:

"I take care of my own"

Something nobody seemed to mention but stood out to me.  What do you think he meant by this comment?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.